Should I spend 6+ hours editing

Coffee Nova

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Every video is different. I've worked 3 to 4 hours on a video in the past and half an hour on another. It all depends on how much you are cutting and adding. There is no one set time frame and anyone that tells you it must take x amount of time is just being silly.

S.A.D

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Every video is different. I've worked 3 to 4 hours on a video in the past and half an hour on another. It all depends on how much you are cutting and adding. There is no one set time frame and anyone that tells you it has must take x amount of time is just being silly.
That's exactly my thoughts EXACTLY

Doobs

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I want to make the videos more personal, let the people see my face an interact with me on a level at least. I don't want to add too much just keep to the old saying "less is more"
That's a good way to look at it! Definitely put your personality out first. That's what I watch other YouTubers for. In terms of editing, it really all depends on the type of video you create. 6+ hours does seem a bit excessive unless, of course, you're going for a high production value video.

S.A.D

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's a good way to look at it! Definitely put your personality out first. That's what I watch other YouTubers for. In terms of editing, it really all depends on the type of video you create. 6+ hours does seem a bit excessive unless, of course, you're going for a high production value video.
But depending u can make a video with high production value in a third of the time. Personally I like to think my channel has that, at least more then some. Now i would totally see and understand some one spending 6+ hours if they were making a video for the liies of "Vsauce" or "alternative history" they have real high values

Reactions: Doobs

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the Strategies & Technique Advice Forum. ^^

ocslushie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I spent 6 hours on my last video. It was mainly due to effects, cutting, and rewatching it multiple times. Also I'm pretty sure animators don't take 6 hours. They could take months depending on their animation.

S.A.D

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Oh im sure animators take a while.Im just given an example is all.

Reactions: ocslushie

Redford1900

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I can take several hours to make/edit a one minute video. A lot of that time is spent finding and deciding on what footage to use and generally working with it to see what I want to do with it. I made a sleeping dog video and exported a bunch of clips as separate QuickTime movies to use a different editing program. It took a long time and then I realized it didn't work because the clips were too short and the film didn't flow right. I had to scrap it and learn some new techniques in my usual editing program. So, yeah, I can take a very long time to edit because I'm still learning how to edit and making a short and too the point film that tries to evoke emotion takes time.

Inspired

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Just because he takes 6 hours, doesn't mean you have to. Maybe his type of videos just have more to them editing wise. Or maybe you are just faster than he is. Mine take no where near 6 hours. They take awhile to cut the clips out of the full video but thats it.

Night_Terrors

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
If you're happy with the video then there's no point in forcing yourself to edit it for many more hours, is there? :laugh2: It probably doesn't add much to your video at that point.

i agree. Edit it until you're happy. If you're happy, your subs will be happy. i make one video a week, about six minutes long. i'm happy to have gotten down to five (5) days of work for one video. Those are more than "six hour" days. i would say 8 hours. Not all of that is editing. i research a topic, write the script, edit the script, shoot the video, edit video for pacing, edit again for volume levels, gather film & still media to be displayed in the video, edit the film clips, edit the photos for size and defect elimination, edit the media into the video, gather original music, edit the music, edit the music into the video, upload the video, upload the subtitles, create the thumbnail, research the keywords & add them, and that's basically it.