Should I change my name or start a new channel?

FoJimmy12345

Reaction score
My channel has a little over 60,000 subscribers, but because me and my friends joke around a lot, they have leaked my identity at school, so teachers, staff, and random kids I don’t even know, know who I am. At home, my dad, mom, both sisters, uncle, and all of their friends also know who I am and what I do. I recently made a video and some guy swore at me in game chat, and my dad confronted me about it, and I got really embarrassed. I have now not uploaded for over 5 months, but I want to post again. However, It feels like I’m being watched all around, and it’s making me scared to post more of my humorous content, because of what they might say. What should I do?

Reactions: DylanDDragon_YT

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

My channel has a little over 60,000 subscribers, but because me and my friends joke around a lot, they have leaked my identity at school, so teachers, staff, and random kids I don’t even know, know who I am. At home, my dad, mom, both sisters, uncle, and all of their friends also know who I am and what I do. I recently made a video and some guy swore at me in game chat, and my dad confronted me about it, and I got really embarrassed. I have now not uploaded for over 5 months, but I want to post again. However, It feels like I’m being watched all around, and it’s making me scared to post more of my humorous content, because of what they might say. What should I do?
Speak to your dad about it. Tell him you want to make videos because you enjoy it but you don't want him to be angry so suggest some ground rules (no cursing etc) to him. I'm sure he'll be ok with it if you do that.

Ignore everyone else.

Bounce

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

Speak to your dad about it. Tell him you want to make videos because you enjoy it but you don't want him to be angry so suggest some ground rules (no cursing etc) to him. I'm sure he'll be ok with it if you do that.

Ignore everyone else.
I agree with above, I'm sure you and your Dad can make a compromise. It's Youtube and the internet, people swear and you have no control over how others act. But you clearly know what you're doing if you have over 60,000 subs (feeling jealous) so you should keep doing what works!

Atheno

Reaction score
Even if you were to change the channel name, you could still search up the old name and it will still come up. I suggest keeping the name unless you just don't like it.

Qwikstreet

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
So your dad got mad at you because someone else cursed at you? Odd. My youngest (16) gets cursed at a lot Im sure. He rarely is in general chat but it happens. I can see if it was you cursing or even worse using derogratory slang towards others and then putting that on your channel.

As a dad, I say just talk to him and come up with a compromise like edit out any cursing using something funny or clever like beeping it out with a chicken clucking and a huge chicken appears on the screen. At 60K subs this is a succesful channel and he should embrace your success and creativity.

As for people at school, the more succesful your channel is I am sure the more the public will find you. Either it will blow over and not many people will care or mind or build on it and get those people as subs and create that next level irl branding.

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I understand, I’m in a similar situation to yours! I’ve told me friends all about my YT channel back when I had a lot less subscribers, and back in those days some people did the exact same thing as me when I told them about my channel. After a while when my channel got a smidge more popular, a lot of people of my school now know me, and they either hate me or like me! Although I might not be back in school for a while to come, I know that things are going to get a bit more hectic from here, but hey, YouTube is my passion and I want to succeed! Don’t let anything hold you down!