Question for Commentators! Scripts or No scripts?

Scripts or No Scripts ?

• Scripts

• No Scripts

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kousuke-shii

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
So, I've started to do commentary videos on my channel. Not the type that has a game playing on the background but the one with tons of editing. (Idk how to explain it just check it out?)

So here are the questions...
Do you write scripts then follow those scripts while recording your audio?
Or
Do you just go in, talk about what comes to mind and it all goes well?

Personally, I write scripts then maybe add a few jokes when I feel like it while recording. I haven't tried to do live commentaries yet because I stutter a lot. Do you recommend it? What are your thoughts?

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Make a basic script with room for flexibility! maybe have some notes while doing commentaries!

Reactions: Kousuke-shii

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I used to do it, but now I usually wing it, even though I think beforehand on what I want to say!

Kousuke-shii

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I used to do it, but now I usually wing it, even though I think beforehand on what I want to say!
That's awesome! I watch these other commentators and they seem to be doing the same. I think I need a lot of practice and getting used to.

Orayo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
That's awesome! I watch these other commentators and they seem to be doing the same. I think I need a lot of practice and getting used to.
Hey man, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here and say that full on scripted is better. Sure, when you're first starting out it can sound a bit robotic, but once you get used to it, it comes naturally. There are so many benefits of -fullon scripting imo, from using intelligent puns and making your points more concise and punchy.

However, if you really do not want to sell your soul to the pen and paper, i would simply jot down bullet points of not just ideas, but key phrases and jokes you want to use. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors!

Mikes

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Well, if you plan on eventually being able to talk about stuff fluently and without scripts, then here's what I'd do:

Make a script, and start off with more detail and less room for free elaboration. As you continue to make videos, gradually reverse the detail to free-speak ratio that you put in your scripts, until all you have are bullet points. By that time, you should be used to speaking without a script, as long as you aren't rushing your progress.

When it comes to me, I can't get a point across for the life of me by only speaking from my mind. I tend to fumble over my words a lot, and I can't seem to go a couple of sentences without plenty of pauses. I also typically end sentences with "ya'know?", which I don't like too much. It makes the commentaries so much more akin to rambles, and I can't seem to stick to a point. I initially didn't mind rambles, but now I see them as being pretty unorganized and not as interesting to listen to. I'd be surprised if any viewers preferred unscripted videos to the ones that have them.

Seeing as how I'd like to be able to speak clearly and more concisely without a script, I'll probably take my own advice.

Kousuke-shii

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Hey man, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here and say that full on scripted is better. Sure, when you're first starting out it can sound a bit robotic, but once you get used to it, it comes naturally. There are so many benefits of -fullon scripting imo, from using intelligent puns and making your points more concise and punchy.

However, if you really do not want to sell your soul to the pen and paper, i would simply jot down bullet points of not just ideas, but key phrases and jokes you want to use. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors!
Thanks man. I'm doing scripts right now but I'm gonna try to just jot down key points in the future and see which works for me better![DOUBLEPOST=1465968255,1465968127][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, if you plan on eventually being able to talk about stuff fluently and without scripts, then here's what I'd do:

Make a script, and start off with more detail and less room for free elaboration. As you continue to make videos, gradually reverse the detail to free-speak ratio that you put in your scripts, until all you have are bullet points. By that time, you should be used to speaking without a script, as long as you aren't rushing your progress.

When it comes to me, I can't get a point across for the life of me by only speaking from my mind. I tend to fumble over my words a lot, and I can't seem to go a couple of sentences without plenty of pauses. I also typically end sentences with "ya'know?", which I don't like too much. It makes the commentaries so much more akin to rambles, and I can't seem to stick to a point. I initially didn't mind rambles, but now I see them as being pretty unorganized and not as interesting to listen to. I'd be surprised if any viewers preferred unscripted videos to the ones that have them.

Seeing as how I'd like to be able to speak clearly and more concisely without a script, I'll probably take my own advice.
Would definitely do this. I think that kind of transition is what I needed to hear. I wanna be able to freely speak my mind in the future but, I think I'll try it your way. Slowly but surely...

Reactions: Mikes

Kirgle

"taking a swipe at everything"
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ive tried both and find scripting to be better. For me personally when I freestyle on a topic I can get a little off track or think of a good point well after I have finished with the topic. With scripting I can just go back and add edits before shooting.

My biggest problem is remembering the script. I try to post it near the camera so I can get a good run of fluid dialog. However in my newest vid Im editing now, I couldnt do that and ended up reading it in small sections. Still get the point across but looks like too many jump cuts.

Kousuke-shii

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Ive tried both and find scripting to be better. For me personally when I freestyle on a topic I can get a little off track or think of a good point well after I have finished with the topic. With scripting I can just go back and add edits before shooting.

My biggest problem is remembering the script. I try to post it near the camera so I can get a good run of fluid dialog. However in my newest vid Im editing now, I couldnt do that and ended up reading it in small sections. Still get the point across but looks like too many jump cuts.
I don't do face cams so I don't need to memorize my scripts. I usually press the record button and read the script. I don't know if it sounds robotic or unnatural though. I'll check out your new one once you've uploaded it!