Question About YouTube Names

Lukerz

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Hey all!
I started a YouTube channel the other day with the name "Nexen" however, later I found out another larger youtuber (Nexen4games) had a similar name. So I was wondering, would it be a good idea to change my name before I really get started on my channel? This other Youtuber, Nexen4Games, doesn't appear to speak English so I'm not sure it's a big deal. What do you guys think? Thanks for any help!

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think it would be important to find a username that is distinguishable. For example, if you search for visualbrandon (me) I'm the only one who comes up. This is a good thing. I don't want to ever be confused with anyone else. I want to make it as easy as possible for returning and new viewers to reach my channel.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the branding / design forum. :)

Reactions: Lukerz

Ashleen

Reaction score
Definitely important to have a name that is easy to distinguish from other large channels, especially if you plan on doing similar content. I sort of struggled with this same idea, as there are a few other channels that are named Ashleen on Youtube, but none of them consistently post, or have the same type of content. I'm thinking about rebranding my channel as well a little bit to be more recognizable.

Lukerz

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I went ahead and changed the channels name to something unique. Now when you search up my channels name only my channel pops up.

Reactions: EVO

GeekOvision

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know the discussion is over, but I would like to add my point of view. Honestly, as long as the competition is out of the picture I don't think it matters much. I have a name that 2 other channels have. The reason that I still went through with branding my channel as I did despite the fact that I knew of the other channels existences is because they were very inactive. One only upload 1 video a few years ago and the other uploaded so infrequently it didn't matter. Pretty much what I'm trying to say is if the channel that had a similar name to you still uploads and has a bigger following, changing your name is a good idea. If the channel that shares the same name does not upload and has a smaller following than you, I think it's fine. I don't have the best track record of creating good or catchy names though so I could be wrong :tongue:

Primink

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
deleted

Last edited:

HiEnergy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Just tested this for my channel. Entering the search term "HiEnergyMusic" in Youtube leads to my channel being listed in first place followed by countless links to "High-Energy" music (an 80s/90s music genre), followed by some of my videos intermingled with more "High-Energy" and "Gay-Bar" music... *sigh*
Don't want to change my channel name though as it's also my artist name.