PC screen recorder (Windows)

TheGamingJNY

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi,

My name is Jennifer and I run the YouTube channel TheGamingJNY. I have currently been struggling with finding a second screen recorder to run on my not so good laptop. The laptop runs windows 10. I have been told only a thousand times that OBS is the best software to use but neither OBS or OBS studios will run on my laptop. I am currently using Camtasia to record and edit videos. It's alright but it is still a slow program and ends up lagging a bit when I use it. I have also tried the XBox recorder built into Windows 10. It works for games like minecraft but with major lag ... I could even use it to record shell shock live!

I guess my question is what screen recording programs do you guys use and why do you use them?

Thx for reading this post and if u comment anything then thx for the advice!

-TheGamingJNY

TripleBGTeam

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer
I personally use camtasia, since it is one of my favorite programs that also includes a excellent editor. However, when we record at the second studio we use a program called Action recording. You may have heard of it. It is not free, nor has it been cracked at any point in time so if your willing, and can run it it costs about 40$ or less If i remember correctly. It acts sort of like camtasia and fraps combined but with less CUP output, and without an editor. The reason why camtasia lags a bit is infact because while it is recording it is also converting the video file to a smaller easier to edit and render format. Action does not do this, and instead, leaves the video in a bulky MP4 file. Action has a freeform recording tool and a Automatic (Like Fraps) Recording tool by default. I also believe it has livestreaming capabilities unlike camtasia.

thegamingdoritobag

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you need a good screen recorder use OBS it is a free software that allows you to record games, your monitor, etc. The only downside is that it only runs at 720p but maybe that's just my s****y laptop lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

TripleBGTeam

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer
If you need a good screen recorder use OBS it is a free software that allows you to record games, your monitor, etc. The only downside is that it only runs at 720p but maybe that's just my s****y laptop lol.
Pretty sure she JUST said she can't run OBS on her laptop. Also ew 720p gross. Why do that when you can upload at 1080 or greater with far better programs.

NuSpirit

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would say try Shadowplay, but because it seems your PC doesnt run any GTX GPU it might be a bit of a problem.

But interesting is you have problem recording with Camtasia. Friend of my own a PC with GT625 and some low end i5 and it able to record with camtasia in 720p.

Neimos

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm currently using Fraps to record games and Bandicam to capture the screen. I think they are great. In Bandicam you can optimize the output file formats etc. I do recomend checking them out if you haven't.
~Neimos

AustinCollings

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Hi,

My name is Jennifer and I run the YouTube channel TheGamingJNY. I have currently been struggling with finding a second screen recorder to run on my not so good laptop. The laptop runs windows 10. I have been told only a thousand times that OBS is the best software to use but neither OBS or OBS studios will run on my laptop. I am currently using Camtasia to record and edit videos. It's alright but it is still a slow program and ends up lagging a bit when I use it. I have also tried the XBox recorder built into Windows 10. It works for games like minecraft but with major lag ... I could even use it to record shell shock live!

I guess my question is what screen recording programs do you guys use and why do you use them?

Thx for reading this post and if u comment anything then thx for the advice!

-TheGamingJNY
I have used Mirillis Action for game recording purposes, but it also has screen recording capabilities (for tutorials, etc) for whatever you need to record. I personally love the software!

Inspired

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I use OBS but I have tried out Xsplit and it is actually pretty decent. You should try and see if it will run on your laptop. And I also seen a comment that said OBS only run 720, that is false.

Yvelinaa

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If it's Windows 10 try use the Xbox game DVR

NSH4RPY

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer
Ive personally only used OBS and Xsplit, so if OBS doesnt work it might be worth giving xsplit a try