Massive drop in views on kid channels

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
YT kids by design can't have personalized ads as it is not supposed to track any data. Your first example seems normal. If you are pulling this from a day in December I think it is reasonable to make $215 on 40,000 views on YT main especially if you have a lot of traffic from the United States. Almost every playback in the United States is monetized with competitive CPVs in the month of December. I had a video with 15,000 views on YT main get almost $100.

Your example video 2 is probably a product of a video being mainly watched in a place like India, Brazil, or the Philippines. It is very common for advertisers in those countries to pay average CPV for in-stream of .02 or .03 per view. Look at the demographics of that video. For some reason some videos will go viral in certain countries, but not others.

As a side note, f you are getting good views on the kids app this is a good sign that you will be part of the kid creators that will survive what is to come next year.
I have 2800 kids videos and not one of them show up on the kids app...am I screwed ? And zero views I might add

anonymousssss

Reaction score
I have 2800 kids videos and not one of them show up on the kids app...am I screwed ? And zero views I might add
We get millions upon millions of views from the kids app. No ads. None. So, no, you're not screwed (at least not about the kids app)

• Sad
Reactions: ianmacdon

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
just curiously, my youtube screen fills the whole top of my monitor today and I can't find the display size for full or theatre...anyone else have this issue...(not related to coppa )

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
just curiously, my youtube screen fills the whole top of my monitor today and I can't find the display size for full or theatre...anyone else have this issue...(not related to coppa )
never mind , found it

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Youtube needs to acknowledge that kids content is so popular on the platform that if young kids actually abandoned the platform, it would be doomed for failure. Earlier this year, a study showed 12 of the top 20 videos on Youtube were aimed at children under 13. The mixed audience option is certainly something that needs to be considered, but if you think a lot of grown adults are watching channels that fall under mixed audience, you are sadly mistaken. Trying to create a way to masquerade as a mixed audience just so you can continue to target young children with personalized ads is very troublesome. Although they obviously exist, I have yet to meet a grown man that watches a 30 minute episode of a crazy voiced person playing Roblox. Most adults also don't have the available time or desire to watch another family cook/eat dinner and play a challenge game with slime. Adults watch reality shows for shocking content and scandals, not wholesome family fun. Sad revelation, but it is the truth folks. I recommend the following actions:

1. If you make content designed for kids under 13, you should be subject to a criminal background check and your identity should be verified. Some exceptions for large corporations would need to be made. If your personal life is a mess, how can you be trusted to produce kids content? How many more scandals and child abuse cases does Youtube need before they realize you can actually prevent this. Most criminals are what we call repeat offenders.
2. Mixed audience category is a slippery slope. Gamers and teen-aged themed family vlogs seem to meet this criteria, but this is a very complex issue. Channels can just migrate to a vlog style and pretend kids aren't watching. Remember the vast majority of views are coming from kids. Youtube won't acknowledge this, but there is strong proof of this. For this reason, I would not create a mixed audience category.
3. Personalized ads are needed for creator survival and Youtube will never allow an age gate because views will plummet. Instead Youtube should send automated emails to signed in accounts that watch children's content. In the email, they should solicit permission from the parents to track the viewing history for purposes of maintaining free access to Youtube supported by ads. Once permission is received, personalized ads will resume on all videos that is watched by that signed-in account until consent is revoked.
4. Some children watch youtube on tablets and phones that have no Youtube account signed-in. Youtube should run pre-roll ads promoting an option for parents to create Youtube accounts for their children that allow them to enable personalized ads. Youtube can create an incentive for parents to create an account on the device. They should not create an incentive to enable personalized ads, but most parents will probably consent once given the option.
5. The Youtube kids app needs to contain completely curated content from the most loyal and trusted kid content creators. Youtube has to dump money into this app to let advocacy groups know that they care about kids and COPPA. Creators will probably never make much money on the kids app, but creators can still gain name recognition on the app. Youtube can boost contextual ads on the kids app particularly in November and December. Youtube can even help create content with trusted kid content creators.

Reactions: IceDog

ilikeswords64

Reaction score
I hope that this wasn't supposed to be the light at the end of the tunnel Terrors. YouTube continues to to try to misdirect us toward FTC while ignoring any actions that they themselves could take within their own platform. I find it quite funny. First they throttle our traffic down to nothing (because the FTC told them to? :) :D). Then they go totally silent on the matter for weeks upon weeks. Then, when there's finally the opportunity to quell the masses, they record the video of the lady with marbles in her mouth explaining their fantastic master plan of yes or no, while playing ignorant to the fact that the FTC is clearly not imposing a yes or no game. Then they go silent again. Lastly, they come up with this garbage, standing in the back row of everyone who has already been mentioning these things and saying "YEAH WE FEEL THAT WAY TOO", while hoping that nobody notices the part that they are playing in ruining thousands of creators livelihoods.

Reactions: FamilyToyReview

ilikeswords64

Reaction score
Youtube needs to acknowledge that kids content is so popular on the platform that if young kids actually abandoned the platform, it would be doomed for failure. Earlier this year, a study showed 12 of the top 20 videos on Youtube were aimed at children under 13. The mixed audience option is certainly something that needs to be considered, but if you think a lot of grown adults are watching channels that fall under mixed audience, you are sadly mistaken. Trying to create a way to masquerade as a mixed audience just so you can continue to target young children with personalized ads is very troublesome. Although they obviously exist, I have yet to meet a grown man that watches a 30 minute episode of a crazy voiced person playing Roblox. Most adults also don't have the available time or desire to watch another family cook/eat dinner and play a challenge game with slime. Adults watch reality shows for shocking content and scandals, not wholesome family fun. Sad revelation, but it is the truth folks. I recommend the following actions:

1. If you make content designed for kids under 13, you should be subject to a criminal background check and your identity should be verified. Some exceptions for large corporations would need to be made. If your personal life is a mess, how can you be trusted to produce kids content? How many more scandals and child abuse cases does Youtube need before they realize you can actually prevent this. Most criminals are what we call repeat offenders.
2. Mixed audience category is a slippery slope. Gamers and teen-aged themed family vlogs seem to meet this criteria, but this is a very complex issue. Channels can just migrate to a vlog style and pretend kids aren't watching. Remember the vast majority of views are coming from kids. Youtube won't acknowledge this, but there is strong proof of this. For this reason, I would not create a mixed audience category.
3. Personalized ads are needed for creator survival and Youtube will never allow an age gate because views will plummet. Instead Youtube should send automated emails to signed in accounts that watch children's content. In the email, they should solicit permission from the parents to track the viewing history for purposes of maintaining free access to Youtube supported by ads. Once permission is received, personalized ads will resume on all videos that is watched by that signed-in account until consent is revoked.
4. Some children watch youtube on tablets and phones that have no Youtube account signed-in. Youtube should run pre-roll ads promoting an option for parents to create Youtube accounts for their children that allow them to enable personalized ads. Youtube can create an incentive for parents to create an account on the device. They should not create an incentive to enable personalized ads, but most parents will probably consent once given the option.
5. The Youtube kids app needs to contain completely curated content from the most loyal and trusted kid content creators. Youtube has to dump money into this app to let advocacy groups know that they care about kids and COPPA. Creators will probably never make much money on the kids app, but creators can still gain name recognition on the app. Youtube can boost contextual ads on the kids app particularly in November and December. Youtube can even help create content with trusted kid content creators.
Dear YouTube - please listen to this guy. Thank you.

Reactions: IceDog