Massive drop in views on kid channels

moshi

Reaction score
100% Correct. Making kids content is not a violation of COPPA and creators should not be held liable for it. If they are, I want WALT DISNEY put out of business TODAY! Collecting data on kids, is the violation, and YT creators DO NOT DO THAT, so they are NOT VIOLATING COPPA!

It is really very simple. Why some people cannot understand this is mind-boggling.

Well, nontheless I think we are ******. People arent fighting this root cause, they just are asking for guidelines.

And im not even making stricly kids content, but videogame related content, with animations and stuff, and man im scared like I cant tell you. I dont have any videos flagged but it's obvious im an FTC reviewer away from a nightmare. I dont know if I should risk it or not. Im not in USA. Can someone that knows about actual law if they can get my a** if im in EU?

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Well, nontheless I think we are ******. People arent fighting this root cause, they just are asking for guidelines.

And im not even making stricly kids content, but videogame related content, with animations and stuff, and man im scared like I cant tell you. I dont have any videos flagged but it's obvious im an FTC reviewer away from a nightmare. I dont know if I should risk it or not. Im not in USA. Can someone that knows about actual law if they can get my a** if im in EU?
They probably can't fine you but they can still remove your channel.

digitalist

Reaction score
When do you think the changes and massive loss of income will start? 1st of Jan? When will we see what will happen to us?

clerick

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator

Tons of news from him speaking with FTC directly.

As a teen-adult level animator it's nothing but good news.

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Why is the FTC randomly calling people?
I doubt FTC called him. A lot of you tubers now claim FTC or secret YouTube employee call them. Bs. A lot of videos about all these upcoming changes have bs information like 90% drop rumor and no more recommendations for kids videos.

Reactions: ianmacdon

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Yes YouTube should’ve added the button for parents.

“That’s not what COPPA does. Under this law, companies with content directed to children under 13 must inform parents what information they collect from kids and obtain parental permission before they collect it. So the content creators complaining that the law prohibits all personalized advertising are simply misinformed—and spreading that misinformation. If a company like Google really wanted to use personalized ads on videos for kids, it would just need to get parents’ permission first. But instead, Google is acting as if children on YouTube—and the protections they’re afforded—are relatively new phenomena, exacerbating content creators’ misunderstandings of the law.“”

ilikeswords64

Reaction score
Yes YouTube should’ve added the button for parents.

“That’s not what COPPA does. Under this law, companies with content directed to children under 13 must inform parents what information they collect from kids and obtain parental permission before they collect it. So the content creators complaining that the law prohibits all personalized advertising are simply misinformed—and spreading that misinformation. If a company like Google really wanted to use personalized ads on videos for kids, it would just need to get parents’ permission first. But instead, Google is acting as if children on YouTube—and the protections they’re afforded—are relatively new phenomena, exacerbating content creators’ misunderstandings of the law.“”
I wonder how big this will need to get for YouTube to change position. I fear they won't. As some of us have been pointing out, it is extremely obvious that they want kid creators either exiled to YT Kids (where volume of traffic is not substantial to pay your bills), or to change niche. It certainly appears that YouTube is holding fast to the 13+ environment that they wanted to create in the first place (regardless of what happened thereafter).

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
I wonder how big this will need to get for YouTube to change position. I fear they won't. As some of us have been pointing out, it is extremely obvious that they want kid creators either exiled to YT Kids (where volume of traffic is not substantial to pay your bills), or to change niche. It certainly appears that YouTube is holding fast to the 13+ environment that they wanted to create in the first place (regardless of what happened thereafter).
they are making mistake. Kids traffic is the most massive and a lot of 3-4 year olds remember their favorite cartoons and later come back to the platform

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
As someone that has strongly advocated to expose Youtube on this, I now firmly believe that Youtube is on a path to help kid creators. It doesn't change the fact that originally they were operating in bad faith and prepared to destroy kid creators, but nonetheless they are now at least attempting to provide a solution. Their culpability remains the same in my eyes until the talk turns into public action. It won't be an overnight fix and some creators will still suffer, but there is a path moving forward. Although the FTC can't dictate how a private company conducts business, reassuring Youtube that certain actions would be in compliance of the permanent injunction is certainly helping. There will certainly be a loss of revenue particularly in January, but I remain hopeful that Youtube's soon to be released comments submitted to the FTC will be providing solutions that the FTC will endorse as compliant with COPPA. Youtube doesn't want their engineers deposed.