Massive drop in views on kid channels

I doubt FTC called him. A lot of you tubers now claim FTC or secret YouTube employee call them. Bs. A lot of videos about all these upcoming changes have bs information like 90% drop rumor and no more recommendations for kids videos.
A lot of the videos are BS, but KreekCraft did actually speak with informed FTC personnel. I think KreekCraft has done a fantastic job advocating for content creators. Youtube is also paying attention.

As someone that has strongly advocated to expose Youtube on this, I now firmly believe that Youtube is on a path to help kid creators. It doesn't change the fact that originally they were operating in bad faith and prepared to destroy kid creators, but nonetheless they are now at least attempting to provide a solution. Their culpability remains the same in my eyes until the talk turns into public action. It won't be an overnight fix and some creators will still suffer, but there is a path moving forward. Although the FTC can't dictate how a private company conducts business, reassuring Youtube that certain actions would be in compliance of the permanent injunction is certainly helping. There will certainly be a loss of revenue particularly in January, but I remain hopeful that Youtube's soon to be released comments submitted to the FTC will be providing solutions that the FTC will endorse as compliant with COPPA. Youtube doesn't want their engineers deposed.
Do you have more basis for hope beyond YT's soon to be released comments to the FTC?

Why am I not able to filter revenue by YouTube Product? Anyone know?

There doesn't seem to be any way to tell how many monetized playbacks are coming from my YouTube Kids traffic.

There doesn't seem to be any way to tell how many monetized playbacks are coming from my YouTube Kids traffic.

It won't let you do that. It is most likely zero. Go to your analytics page, at the top left click filter, go to youtube product, then select youtube kids. You can see a lot of stats, but it won't show anything for revenue. There are 13 stats under revenue and none of them will won't work when you filter by youtube kids. It will let you see views and other stats, but nothing related to revenue. Most likely because the revenue is zero. It states your estimated revenue is not available with the current filter. I have attached a screenshot of what the revenue options look like when you select youtube kids.

You can see how many youtube premium views came from youtube kids and the money associated. I had 179 premium kids views out of 40,000 youtube kid views on December 3rd. I didn't realize that many people had premium.

Attachments

• rev.png
    rev.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 10
It won't let you do that. It is most likely zero. Go to your analytics page, at the top left click filter, go to youtube product, then select youtube kids. You can see a lot of stats, but it won't show anything for revenue. There are 13 stats under revenue and none of them will won't work when you filter by youtube kids. It will let you see views and other stats, but nothing related to revenue. Most likely because the revenue is zero. It states your estimated revenue is not available with the current filter. I have attached a screenshot of what the revenue options look like when you select youtube kids.

You can see how many youtube premium views came from youtube kids and the money associated. I had 179 premium kids views out of 40,000 youtube kid views on December 3rd. I didn't realize that many people had premium.

Thanks. If it's actually zero, that's mind blowing to me. In the last 28 days, my channel has received 33 million views. Out of those, 20 million were YouTube Kids views. It's been like this since 2017.

Unlike most people reporting in, my ads aren't 99% personalized. It's always been more like 60% personalized, 40% contextual. I've been attempting (unsuccessfully) to see if those 40% contextual are from the kids app. No luck. Either the analytics are busted, or what you're saying is true, and 100% of my ads are from the regular YouTube app.

For s* and giggles, I did grab the YouTube kids app on my phone. I think I flipped through 200 videos. I only received one ad that entire time.

I also tried to get youtube kid revenue by another method and it didn't work. I tried to filter revenue just by regular youtube traffic and subtract that from my total revenue for the day, but Youtube won't let you filter revenue by youtube product type at all. Once you filter a youtube product, it takes away all options under revenue.

Thanks. If it's actually zero, that's mind blowing to me. In the last 28 days, my channel has received 33 million views. Out of those, 20 million were YouTube Kids views. It's been like this since 2017.

Unlike most people reporting in, my ads aren't 99% personalized. It's always been more like 60% personalized, 40% contextual. I've been attempting (unsuccessfully) to see if those 40% contextual are from the kids app. No luck. Either the analytics are busted, or what you're saying is true, and 100% of my ads are from the regular YouTube app.

For s* and giggles, I did grab the YouTube kids app on my phone. I think I flipped through 200 videos. I only received one ad that entire time.

I was able to identify a video of mine that had 4,294 views on the kids app and only 453 views on regular youtube on 12/3/19. It had 28 views from premium. It was 79% from the United States and got a $5.96 CPM for the day. It made a total of $1.27 for the day. So yes ads don't really exist on Youtube kids.

I was able to identify a video of mine that had 4,294 views on the kids app and only 453 views on regular youtube on 12/3/19. It had 28 views from premium. It was 79% from the United States and got a $5.96 CPM for the day. It made a total of $1.27 for the day. So yes ads don't really exist on Youtube kids.

View attachment 43754

Ahh, nice way to reverse engineer. I see what you're doing. I grabbed two videos of mine (one with zero kids views, and one with majority kids app views) and my confusion has greatly increased. There seems to be no rhyme or reason.

Video 1 (lots of YT Kids views)
151,000 total views
kids app: 112,000
yt app: 40,000
Estimated monetized playbacks? 46k. A whopping 31% total views, incredibly low. So that would lead credence to the fact that YT Kids has almost no adds. But I made $215 total on this video.

Video 2 (ZERO YT Kids views)
25,000 total views
kids app: 0
yt app: 25,000
Estimated monetized playbacks? 22k, around 90%. That's a percentage you'd expect. Almost all monetized views. BUT this video only made $57.

Why the huge discrepancy between 40,000 youtube app views and 25,000 youtube app views? $215 vs $57? Completely taking YT kids out of the equation, apples to apples.

Budgeting for the future has been exceedingly difficult. We don't seem to be the norm. We don't have 99% personalized. We still get tons of contextual. Which is unusual. And we have 2/3rds of all our traffic going to the kids app. Which could be argued as a sneak peak of what's to come for us, if YT Kids has never been shown personalized (has it?).

Ahh, nice way to reverse engineer. I see what you're doing. I grabbed two videos of mine (one with zero kids views, and one with majority kids app views) and my confusion has greatly increased. There seems to be no rhyme or reason.

Video 1 (lots of YT Kids views)
151,000 total views
kids app: 112,000
yt app: 40,000
Estimated monetized playbacks? 46k. A whopping 31% total views, incredibly low. So that would lead credence to the fact that YT Kids has almost no adds. But I made $215 total on this video.

Video 2 (ZERO YT Kids views)
25,000 total views
kids app: 0
yt app: 25,000
Estimated monetized playbacks? 22k, around 90%. That's a percentage you'd expect. Almost all monetized views. BUT this video only made $57.

Why the huge discrepancy between 40,000 youtube app views and 25,000 youtube app views? $215 vs $57? Completely taking YT kids out of the equation, apples to apples.

Budgeting for the future has been exceedingly difficult. We don't seem to be the norm. We don't have 99% personalized. We still get tons of contextual. Which is unusual. And we have 2/3rds of all our traffic going to the kids app. Which could be argued as a sneak peak of what's to come for us, if YT Kids has never been shown personalized (has it?).

YT kids by design can't have personalized ads as it is not supposed to track any data. Your first example seems normal. If you are pulling this from a day in December I think it is reasonable to make $215 on 40,000 views on YT main especially if you have a lot of traffic from the United States. Almost every playback in the United States is monetized with competitive CPVs in the month of December. I had a video with 15,000 views on YT main get almost $100.

Your example video 2 is probably a product of a video being mainly watched in a place like India, Brazil, or the Philippines. It is very common for advertisers in those countries to pay average CPV for in-stream of .02 or .03 per view. Look at the demographics of that video. For some reason some videos will go viral in certain countries, but not others.

As a side note, f you are getting good views on the kids app this is a good sign that you will be part of the kid creators that will survive what is to come next year.

Back