Massive drop in views on kid channels

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
No. Not utter chaos. I disagree with everyone. Especially after the last article where Youtube was waiting for FTC to clarify. It’s becoming clear this was masterfully handled by Youtube. They have been pulling the strings this whole time making us dance. The goal was never to concede.

Clue 1 is the settlement because they did not have to admit fault. They could stop tracking data entirely on their own, but then that means they are guilty of tracking data. They dont want to admit fault so they came up with the convoluted nonsolution of creators self tagging videos. Not admitting fault is the crux of their strategy.

By stoking chaos and poking creators, Youtube generated the panic that usually ensues after every adpocalypse. Clue 2 was Youtube instigating conflict between content creators and FTC. Youtube devised a way for the FTC to blame and target content creators for data privacy violations while escaping responsibility (with the new “for kids“ tagging option). Then at the same time Youtube told content creators their hands were tied and pointed to the FTC as the source of the problem. Meanwhile throughout all of this Youtube secretly continued to collect data on minors because the tagging tool does not solve the problem and FTC is not tech saavy enough to know how data collection works on Youtube.

And we played our part well. To Youtubes great fortune, families across america spammed COPPA. The FTC grossly underestimated how many people would be affected and walked back many of their comments like shooting youtubers in a barrel, who would be fined, how much the fine would be, etc. And clue 3 is this article where Youtube publicly announces FTC needs to clarify the law because its too confusing. This is Youtube kicking the FTC while they are down and hoping the rest of us direct our ire on the FTC some more. This is no longer about Youtube collecting data on minors. This is about that damn FTC and big government making laws that dont make sense.

Bravo youtube. Bravo.

Little has been talked about a recent law that was passed called the CCPA (california consumer privacy act) similar to Europes right to be forgotten law (but less stringent), with some COPPA elements too. If you read the amendments that followed, you can tell the CCPA was gutted in a way that allows Google (and probably facebook) to continue selling ads like normal. The law hasnt gone into affect yet and the original author of the CCPA is already calling for a new CCPA because he believes the tech giants rendered it useless.

these corporations are pros. They have big money. Lots of lobbyists. They know how to oil the system.

The more I watch this coppa ftc unfold the more it seems like Youtube is expertly navigating the system and playing the right cards to do business as usual.

remember the main goal of a corporation is to maximize profits.
You bring up some good points. There is no question that Youtube LLC mainly through parent Alphabet has a lot of influence in government. Where they have no influence is with decision makers within the DOJ. They loathe Google. Although DOJ's investigation into Google has not been directly tied to Youtube, it is only a matter of time. Attorney General Barr is fed up with Silicone Valley, in fact we all are. Congress never intended to give such broad immunity for their reckless actions. Big tech thinks they can ignore government subpoenas, court orders, and search warrants based on their attorneys' perverted interpretations of the law. Federal judges that actually understand our Constitution have been appointed in groves. The infamous 9th Circuit that has protected Silicone Valley for many years has been completely changed. In fact, some content creators are currently appealing the dismissal of a lawsuit against Youtube in the 9th Circuit for censoring conservative content. Youtube will tell you what they think you want to hear, I fell for it myself. Their corporate culture does no embrace diverse political thinking.

What Youtube must also understand is that although COPPA was settled with the FTC and the state of New York, every other state can initiate their own lawsuit for violating COPPA. Youtube had me convinced that they had a solution for kid creators, but I think those solutions got pulled. I am really hoping that Mark Bergen continues his great reporting to expose some more of the internal battles. He developed a lot of great sources last time and should be able to do it again.

Reactions: FamilyToyReview

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
No. Not utter chaos. I disagree with everyone. Especially after the last article where Youtube was waiting for FTC to clarify. It’s becoming clear this was masterfully handled by Youtube. They have been pulling the strings this whole time making us dance. The goal was never to concede.

Clue 1 is the settlement because they did not have to admit fault. They could stop tracking data entirely on their own, but then that means they are guilty of tracking data. They dont want to admit fault so they came up with the convoluted nonsolution of creators self tagging videos. Not admitting fault is the crux of their strategy.

By stoking chaos and poking creators, Youtube generated the panic that usually ensues after every adpocalypse. Clue 2 was Youtube instigating conflict between content creators and FTC. Youtube devised a way for the FTC to blame and target content creators for data privacy violations while escaping responsibility (with the new “for kids“ tagging option). Then at the same time Youtube told content creators their hands were tied and pointed to the FTC as the source of the problem. Meanwhile throughout all of this Youtube secretly continued to collect data on minors because the tagging tool does not solve the problem and FTC is not tech saavy enough to know how data collection works on Youtube.

And we played our part well. To Youtubes great fortune, families across america spammed COPPA. The FTC grossly underestimated how many people would be affected and walked back many of their comments like shooting youtubers in a barrel, who would be fined, how much the fine would be, etc. And clue 3 is this article where Youtube publicly announces FTC needs to clarify the law because its too confusing. This is Youtube kicking the FTC while they are down and hoping the rest of us direct our ire on the FTC some more. This is no longer about Youtube collecting data on minors. This is about that damn FTC and big government making laws that dont make sense.

Bravo youtube. Bravo.

Little has been talked about a recent law that was passed called the CCPA (california consumer privacy act) similar to Europes right to be forgotten law (but less stringent), with some COPPA elements too. If you read the amendments that followed, you can tell the CCPA was gutted in a way that allows Google (and probably facebook) to continue selling ads like normal. The law hasnt gone into affect yet and the original author of the CCPA is already calling for a new CCPA because he believes the tech giants rendered it useless.

these corporations are pros. They have big money. Lots of lobbyists. They know how to oil the system.

The more I watch this coppa ftc unfold the more it seems like Youtube is expertly navigating the system and playing the right cards to do business as usual.

remember the main goal of a corporation is to maximize profits.

Exactly what I have said from day one. YouTube just doing a CYB maneuver to protect themselves by shifting the responsibility onto the innocent creators that have done nothing wrong. Only, I don't think it is a GOOD thing. It is dirty, down low, rotten, and corrupt, and utterly unjust. There are rules that govern the universe that are above, Laws and Profits. These are the rules by which the US judged the Nazis, guilty of crimes, even though what they did was LEGAL in their nation. It is by these rules that we look to US history of slavery and we judge them as being wrong, even though slavery was legal and socially acceptable at the time. It is by these rules that I judge YT as being wrong and evil it's actions, even though it might have been corporately prudent and effective to jeopardize and punish innocent people to protect themselves. You may PRAISE youtube as being a genius, but not all geniuses are good.

Last edited:
Reactions: FamilyToyReview

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
For sure, YouTube's response has been a very quick band-aid fix by just adding a couple of check boxes to the upload process and passing the buck to us, the users.

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
Just curious, what happened to cocomelon, their channel has nothing left of it...views dropped and hardly any subs or views, or am I looking at the wrong site ? They were getting 400 million views a day !

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
n
Just curious, what happened to cocomelon, their channel has nothing left of it...views dropped and hardly any subs or views, or am I looking at the wrong site ? They were getting 400 million views a day !
ever mind, I see they changed their name to cocomelon-nursery rhymes still has the same views and subs...wonder what happend

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
KreekCraft has it right in this video. Youtube has several options to fix the problem. It is not the FTC, it is Youtube. There is no transparency with them and there is no way Susan is talking to KreekCraft about COPPA. No lawyer in their right mind will let her speak on the record.

KreekCraft said in his video, "it was easier for me to fly to Washington DC talk to the US Federal goverment and get an answer out of them than it was Youtube." That sums up this 130 page thread in one sentence.

Last edited:
Reactions: just Moto

anonymousssss

Reaction score
KreekCraft has it right in this video. Youtube has several options to fix the problem. It is not the FTC, it is Youtube. There is no transparency with them and there is no way Susan is talking to KreekCraft about COPPA. No lawyer in their right mind will let her speak on the record.

KreekCraft said in his video, "it was easier for me to fly to Washington DC talk to the US Federal goverment and get an answer out of them than it was Youtube." That sums up this 130 page thread in one sentence.
Its absolutely insane that I got more information from this one YouTube video (KreekCraft) than the entirety of what YouTube has released on the subject.