Larning SEO is #1

GamingwithNick

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
SEO: Search Engine Optimization is something I picked up while making websites and blogs for people.

Optimizing your content for search engines is the single most important thing you can do IMO. Aside from having quality content of course.

YouTube is a search engine like GOOGLE, Bing, yahoo etc...

I see people daily who have 100 videos but only 5-20 views per video. How have I been able to get 20-1700 views on my 14 videos? SEO! 70% of my views are from YouTube Search and 25% from google search.

My SEO isn't perfect, but I'm still learning how to perfect it. I recommend looking into it. It is very valuable.

wasabiroots

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Yep~~ I agree more than 100% with this statement. SEO helps not just for YouTube searches, even for google, yahoo, bing etc etc. It's awesome. XD

Sabrina

I'm going outside now.
Reaction score
But what exactly does that mean? What more can I do than have the relevant keywords in the title, description and tags? I get only 7% of views from search.

Reactions: RichGuitarGamer

wasabiroots

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
But what exactly does that mean? What more can I do than have the relevant keywords in the title, description and tags? I get only 7% of views from search.
Don't worry. The more videos you have, the more tags/keywords from title and descriptions you'd have and the more chances you'd get for being searched (at least that's what I think) as long as you have a diverse topic. Like how your videos are; they're all different so there should be different tags introduced for different videos(while retaining some common tags to associate the videos with each other, for example your channel name, genre etc).

I'll just show you this: This is for my YouTube search lifetime.
upload_2015-11-23_0-33-2.png
It never went poof from the beginning. It just gradually grows.
I only had 53 views from YouTube search in my first 28 days on creating content on YouTube. lol I took a bit from each tutorial on tagging found here on YTtalk to help me with my tagging, I do believe it helped.

Then this is my other channel's lifetime YT searches analytics:
upload_2015-11-23_0-54-4.png
Lol well the max I had there was 60+ that one day. But my last video on this channel was like a month ago and since there's no new content, things just stabilises to an average atm. >..<"

So other than SEO, I guess, providing content is what is needed to get the channel moving.

*edit* I forgot to say that my other channel had that many searches on that month is because I uploaded a video very frequently like 1 video every 2-3 days. So frequency, if done right would benefit the channel so much.

Reactions: Sabrina

Sabrina

I'm going outside now.
Reaction score
Don't worry. The more videos you have, the more tags/keywords from title and descriptions you'd have and the more chances you'd get for being searched
Ooh thank you so much for the detailed response complete with visual aids :D You're awesome. :thumbsup2:
And you're right, everything is a gradual build-up. I guess I expected more because there was more in 2013 when my content was worse than it is now but there was a bit less competition.

(while retaining some common tags to associate the videos with each other, for example your channel name, genre etc).
Yes, YouTube suggests to use 10 tags that describe the video and 10 that describe the channel so that's what I'm sticking to.

Reactions: wasabiroots

Onlinetechs

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Guru, Other
Just a tip, Google Trends shows search volume for Youtube searches and is a great tool to verify what terms are searched for most; I was taught this by YouTube's own creator team who reached out to me about two months ago actually; they taught that Google Trends lets you see by keyword what is being searched for most frequently, what is trending, what keywords (tags) perform better than others. I normally look at this now every time before making the description and tags for my new uploads.

Tags are relevant but the title of the video (including filename) and the description is what ranks you up higher. Keep in mind you can't stuff tags (YouTube actually looks poorly on tag stuffing, over using tags, redundant tags and tags that have nothing to do with the content of the video) but more importantly the structure of your title and description is what will make your video appear more in search results.

If you have time, check out Google Trends (Google it :) and you'll set the filter to YouTube Search when searching for a trendy phrase or keyword and get some ideas if your video is something that is trending, hot in your topic or that your keywords are matching commonly searched terms, which boosts the visibility of your uploads.

Sabrina

I'm going outside now.
Reaction score
Just a tip, Google Trends shows search volume for Youtube searches and is a great tool to verify what terms are searched for most
Thank you. I've checked it out but I can't find the search volume information or any numbers that would tell me to prefer one keyword to the other?! :crying22:

(Why is "spider" trending?! Urrgh. :yuck2: :D)

Reactions: Sk Jony

BobbyBuckets

Reaction score
Agree 100%, I used to do web design and learned a good amount about SEO, most of my traffic comes from searches (also have a website for my channel), a lot of it has to do with picking a niche that isn't super saturated. My channel and website growth are almost exponential.

Attachments

Jaybabywolf

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I'll be honest, I don't spend much time on it at all. My title will be strong with keywords, I'll repeat the keywords in the description and I'll make sure the keywords I want to be at the forefront will be the first tags I use (tags are actually front heavy, with the last tags you use being your weakest). Beyond that, I don't research popular keywords, I just put in tags I think I might search for myself if I was cruising around youtube. It's easy to get caught up in the analytics but it's much more important to create good quality content.

But hey, I still get my videos at the top of searches I target for!

wasabiroots

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I'll be honest, I don't spend much time on it at all. My title will be strong with keywords, I'll repeat the keywords in the description and I'll make sure the keywords I want to be at the forefront will be the first tags I use (tags are actually front heavy, with the last tags you use being your weakest). Beyond that, I don't research popular keywords, I just put in tags I think I might search for myself if I was cruising around youtube. It's easy to get caught up in the analytics but it's much more important to create good quality content.

But hey, I still get my videos at the top of searches I target for!

Lucky you for doing it unconsciously rather than acquiring the skills to make good tags/keywords~ :) GG