Jukin Media Disaster

Aquachigger

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I need a little guidance, and hope I am not violating any rules here, but I have run out of ideas on how to tackle a problem with one of my videos that I licenced to JukinMedia. This is an issue that affects every YouTuber out there, and I have not seen it addressed in any threads yet. I will provide more details if asked, but the jist of my problem is this:

I uploaded a video to my channel a two years ago. One year ago I licensed it to Jukin Media per their request. Shortly thereafter, another YouTuber uploaded my video, in full, to his channel. I notified Jukin of that illegal upload one month later. Jukin said they would monetize it for me and not to worry about it. One year later (at present) I found out that the other YouTuber has received 7.6+ million views (twice my view count) on his copy.

Upon recent request by me, Jukin Media is unwilling or unable to provide to me proof that they actually monetize the illegal upload. I therefore submitted a DMCA takedown notice to have the offending video removed (I do this all the time with my other videos with no problems). However, this offending YouTuber counter-filed a DMCA against me saying he uploaded the video before I did and that "a friend" gave it to him. ANYONE can see my upload predates his by over a year. I suppose he doesn't want to lose this cash cow as his channel has only a few thousand views otherwise, and has no videos like mine.

Unbelievably, YouTube has now reinstated my video on his channel and he now has "co-ownership" of my work. I have been working unsuccessfully with Jukin Media all this time. However, just today I was copied accidentally with an internal email and they stated that they "hate" me, "just want me to go away" knowing that my contract with them is due to expire in one week.

I contracted with Jukin Media specifically to protect my viral video. Now they have become the source of all my problems. What can I do at this point? Is there anyway to "talk" to someone at YouTube and have them just look at the upload dates? Is there a source of information out there for this sort of problem? Has anyone out there been through this before?

I'd really appreciate any advice. It's bad enough to have your video stolen by a fellow YouTuber, but having paid JukinMedia to protect me from exactly that and they now only want to me to "go away" when it's time for them to act, is. just. plain. wrong.

Thanks... Beau

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I need a little guidance, and hope I am not violating any rules here, but I have run out of ideas on how to tackle a problem with one of my videos that I licenced to JukinMedia. This is an issue that affects every YouTuber out there, and I have not seen it addressed in any threads yet. I will provide more details if asked, but the jist of my problem is this:

I uploaded a video to my channel a two years ago. One year ago I licensed it to Jukin Media per their request. Shortly thereafter, another YouTuber uploaded my video, in full, to his channel. I notified Jukin of that illegal upload one month later. Jukin said they would monetize it for me and not to worry about it. One year later (at present) I found out that the other YouTuber has received 7.6+ million views (twice my view count) on his copy.

Upon recent request by me, Jukin Media is unwilling or unable to provide to me proof that they actually monetize the illegal upload. I therefore submitted a DMCA takedown notice to have the offending video removed (I do this all the time with my other videos with no problems). However, this offending YouTuber counter-filed a DMCA against me saying he uploaded the video before I did and that "a friend" gave it to him. ANYONE can see my upload predates his by over a year. I suppose he doesn't want to lose this cash cow as his channel has only a few thousand views otherwise, and has no videos like mine.

Unbelievably, YouTube has now reinstated my video on his channel and he now has "co-ownership" of my work. I have been working unsuccessfully with Jukin Media all this time. However, just today I was copied accidentally with an internal email and they stated that they "hate" me, "just want me to go away" knowing that my contract with them is due to expire in one week.

I contracted with Jukin Media specifically to protect my viral video. Now they have become the source of all my problems. What can I do at this point? Is there anyway to "talk" to someone at YouTube and have them just look at the upload dates? Is there a source of information out there for this sort of problem? Has anyone out there been through this before?

I'd really appreciate any advice. It's bad enough to have your video stolen by a fellow YouTuber, but having paid JukinMedia to protect me from exactly that and they now only want to me to "go away" when it's time for them to act, is. just. plain. wrong.

Thanks... Beau
Wow that sounds shady to me.

Reactions: RBG

MattyGreen

Music and Mess...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Well that all sucks. Before I start, people who steal content from others are seriously just the worst.

Unfortunately in the situation you've said, there doesn't seem to be to much you can do. The typical way copyright holders gain their money from others using there content is through the YouTube system itself. Since you've been through that the next step to go would be to seek a lawyer and pursue legal action against the Channel. Since you have evidence of upload date, I assume you have the original file and possibly the camera it was shot from still then that would sway anyone easily in your favor.

Problem is that can cost a lot money, so dependent on your situation, either seek a lawyer who knows more about this than my half a year of business degree head does or, what I would do is, try to keep on at YouTube. I don't know if you'd be able to claim it again but you can always message them and threaten legal action with the evidence you have and that could potentially sway them since they wouldn't want any copyright stuff coming up from them since that's bad PR. Even if you don't plan to take legal action or even talk to a lawyer, the threat itself could push them into action, but then again they might not take any notice. It's just a generally sticky situation.

On bright side though, I took a look at your channel and you're doing awesome! I know the situation really sucks and if there is nothing to be done, you've still got a lot of people watching your videos, enjoying what you do and so on. So, try not to let this bring you down and focus on how much good you got going on.

Oh, and Jukin Media are dicks...

Aquachigger

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the kudos. What gets me is that Jukin Media wooed me into signing up with them with the promise that they would protect my video. If I had not signed up with them I would have just DMCA'd the offender, nipped it in the bud, and been done with it a year ago. I can't figure out that since they "owned" the rights to the video when the illegal upload occurred, why they don't have responsibility for making the video go away. It's their video as much as mine. I mean, it's right on their FAQ Questions page that they are there to protect YouTubers against exactly this.

Last edited:
Reactions: MattyGreen

Aquachigger

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well, TWO BUSINESS DAYS before our contract expired, Jukin Media finally issued the "takedown" notice for me. But, they left me with this... "We will be issuing a takedown of the video, and we will not be entertaining any further discussions on the matter." . Did that so they would be free and clear of a counterclaim I'd suppose. Jukin: A hive of scum and villainy (video rant to follow soon...lol)

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you feel that you have been wronged, take them to court. You can have an attorney subpoena the information to make sure that you have been rightfully paid. You may also be entitled to damages and have your court fees paid. I do not have any experience in this regard. I'm only saying that you do have options.

Aquachigger

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you feel that you have been wronged, take them to court. You can have an attorney subpoena the information to make sure that you have been rightfully paid. You may also be entitled to damages and have your court fees paid. I do not have any experience in this regard. I'm only saying that you do have options.
It's not worth the investment in time and money. Ties are now officially cut. I'll tell my story soon enough, and then move on.[DOUBLEPOST=1448324871,1448316379][/DOUBLEPOST]Hate to hog the thread, but I just had to share.... I just got a request from Jukin to represent a different video. It's still the exact same day I was "let go" with the other video....lol.

Reactions: markkaz

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It is your thread and you're still on topic so hog all you want =)

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
That is awful! =( At least you aren't tied with them anymore. =) As an outsider doing a lot of speculation from your post, it sounds like they could perhaps have a video-stealing thing going on. Maybe the channel that uploaded your video has been profiting from other "Jukin licensed videos..." I'm not sure what your contract with Jukin entailed, but it sounds like a really shady company.. =( I'd probably do some more sleuthing, and if other similar instances came to light, I'd probably try to go after them in some way. I think too many people and companies get away with ripping off others because we're usually too busy to go after them -- but that's just my opinion.. You know the situation much better than I do, and it might not be worth the extra headaches. Thank you for sharing your story - I'm putting Jukin on my no-go list. ^^

ItsFunny

I've Got It
Reaction score
You don't need submit Take down notice because if someone Re-upload your video ..the Re-upload get CID claim and All revenue generate from the video is goes to Jukin media or Maybe to you because you are original owner

Jukinmedia have very strong CID claim system no body earn money from jukinmedia video