Is YouTubing even a possibility anymore?? (Advice needed)

Is it possible to grow anymore? Should I even try?

• Total voters

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
You say you enjoy it and it's your "dream" But yet you say: "I haven't uploaded in forever." ? It's not enough to dream about it. You have to actually take action and make it happen and work hard at it. Sorry for the reality check but people who really want something, take action towards that goal.

It's impossible to get noticed if you don't make any videos.
As usual, I agree with @Crown here. I see so many people who start channels, then go on long hiatuses, or take long breaks, or say they don't have any ideas, or don't want to take the time to research trends, or promote themselves, or reach out to the community, or anything. I'm always curious about people who say they want to make it on YouTube, but don't do the bare minimum required to build a channel, build an audience, or grow. It's one of the things about working in a creative field that doesn't happen elsewhere. People don't say, "It's my dream to be a doctor, why am I not a doctor yet?" if they haven't attended medical school, so why do people who say, "I've always wanted to be a writer" refuse to write, or those who say, "I want to be a famous YouTuber" make no videos? I think because the arts seem easy, for some reason, but there's a ton more effort required.

This isn't specifically about you, original poster, but it is something I see a lot of. You gotta do the work if you want to achieve the dream.

Rogpalmeruk

Reaction score
Personally I feel the odd "star" comes through for thousands that don't..YouTube is just overloaded, doing it for fame, money etc isn't going to work..you have to want to do it for fun as a hobby

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The realistic answer is no. It is not. The grand majority won't even make it to 100 subscribers, let alone 1,000. Even after that growth does not come in strides unless your content is captivating. If I take myself as an example it took me a year to get to 100, another year to get to 1,000 and then about 2 more years to get to where I am now ~4,700. I have been growing slow, and in the eyes of the majority I am a nobody. You will continue to be a nobody until you hit 100,000 subscribers.

Everyone likes to say it is possible. But the odds are about the same as winning the lottery really. Only a select few will make it to the top. The rest better be happy doing it as a hobby because there will never be any money in it for them.

Reactions: u2bGamer

u2bGamer

Reaction score
The realistic answer is no. It is not. The grand majority won't even make it to 100 subscribers, let alone 1,000. Even after that growth does not come in strides unless your content is captivating. If I take myself as an example it took me a year to get to 100, another year to get to 1,000 and then about 2 more years to get to where I am now ~4,700. I have been growing slow, and in the eyes of the majority I am a nobody. You will continue to be a nobody until you hit 100,000 subscribers.

Everyone likes to say it is possible. But the odds are about the same as winning the lottery really. Only a select few will make it to the top. The rest better be happy doing it as a hobby because there will never be any money in it for them.
Best Answer!!!

Reactions: TheDutchTexan

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I would say it depends on your definition of "Making it" more than anything else...if you think in 2017 you can go from 0 videos and 0 subscribers to a million subs, a hundred videos and a mansion in Beverly hills within 12 months your setting yourself up for disappointment. I think the absolute best that people can aspire to these days would be to gain enough traction, subscribers and patreon contributors that youtube becomes there paid 9-5...and even then that isnt an easy job. thats still going to be at least 5 days a week of solid graft not only producing and editing content but engaging with your audience and promoting your channel you'd also most probably on a minimum wage income for the first few months.

It takes a lot of time and patience and determination to get anywhere on youtube and to make matters even heavier its an over-saturated market...so not only are you producing content but there are 1000's of other people doing exactly the same thing...some have a head start on you and some are catching up, and this is constant...pretty much for as long as you choose to do it. 10 years ago I could have seen someone hitting the big time on youtube. today "Just about managing" would appear to be the flavor of the day.

Not to get too bleak...its still a very awesome gig if you can land it.

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

Malousak

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian, Gamer
I enjoy YouTubing, but I haven't uploaded in forever. YouTube is my dream, and I have good software (Premiere Pro/Photoshop) and good equipment, but is it even possible to get noticed anymore? Is it too congested to gain an audience?
Any advice or tips?
Thanks....
In a year you might think 'ah man, I wish I started YouTube last year'. Don't think about getting noticed is impossible, think about doing something NOW that might change your life for the better. Seriously, start by looking at the glass half full instead of half empty.