Choco Berry Gaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Personally I think Youtube is not like it used to be before. Right now is way harder to expose yourself well, it used to be even before but you get the point. Small channels especially is like a mission impossible to get subscribers and views in these days. Don't you agree?

Reactions: misadventures28

Noobzilla

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Personally I think Youtube is not like it used to be before. Right now is way harder to expose yourself well, it used to be even before but you get the point. Small channels especially is like a mission impossible to get subscribers and views in these days. Don't you agree?
More people are watching YouTube now than ever

Noobzilla

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah but is hard for us to get exposed.
Right, which is the opposite of YouTube dying. In 2017 with 30+ million daily visitors watching 5 billion videos a day you are competing against the 300 hours of video that are uploaded to YouTube every minute. Stay consistent and continue to get better each day and before you know it you will be on the path you want to be.

Psychotic Squirrel

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Right, which is the opposite of YouTube dying. In 2017 with 30+ million daily visitors watching 5 billion videos a day you are competing against the 300 hours of video that are uploaded to YouTube every minute. Stay consistent and continue to get better each day and before you know it you will be on the path you want to be.
What he said.

Youtube isn't dying, it's just more competitive now then its ever been. It takes more work now to become noticed, then it did 5 years ago, and the same will be true 5 years from now in the future.

Malasia

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think it really sucks that we have to work twice as hard as Youtubers 5 years ago but I think its just as more satisfying reaching that youtube goal with so much of a competition, not saying its a competition. Hope all of y'all reach your youtube goals!

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I have to strongly disagree with the majority here. A more competitive platform isn't a sign of a healthy platform, especially considering the current state of affairs that have been happening on YouTube (such as the ad boycott, stronger monetization policies, stricter algorithm changes, etc.) By making it harder for smaller channels to get noticed and grow, the future of YouTube is essentially being slaughtered. Smaller channels (Even at 100K subs) aren't going to be able to support themselves on adsense income and won't dare pursue YouTube full-time. With less time dedicated to YouTube, that's less time dedicated to creating content, and a huge kill to morale. I can even see that in myself, honestly. I've been going through so much crap IRL, and then coming back to YouTube and getting 10 views per video instead of 30 or 50 is seriously demotivating. And this has been across the platform. Many people are getting and have been getting a lot less views than normal, which is very unhealthy, as like many of you said, there are much more people on the platform. Just food for thought.

Archieonic

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
As someone just beginning, yes the platform is saturated. There's a lot of content being published every minute. There's the incident with the ads and whatnot. I mean, I guess if someone's aim on YT is to make a full time living off adsense, you might as well try the lotto as well. I believe those that have a strong fanbase, and that doesn't have to be millions, will give you the support you need and not via adsense. I don't know, I think getting into the YT game with the aim to make a full time job out of it, while a completely valid and desirable dream, might just not be the most appropriate target to have. I think focus on getting exposure, getting a fanbase, interacting with the community, being unique and having fun can just about make the path take its own route that might just turn out to be better than you expected.

But hey, I could be talking complete non-sense and I am far from knowledgeable about the platform. But if there's one thing I'm having right now, is fun. But I do agree that nowadays you have to work a hell of a lot more than 3-5 years ago.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
One side of things.... saying that it was easier to get exposed 5 years ago means you basically had 5 years to build yourself up so you'd have a loyal fanbase that would watch you no matter what. Markiplier would be a nobody if he started as a n00b today, but he's build up his fame like crazy a few years back, so even if YT got more competiive now, he's still got his huge fanbase backing him that he's built over years.

Also newcomers have to stop coming to Youtube with the mentality that they're going to live off it. You have to be super big to do that, and even then... most of the real big ones make more money off branding, their merchandise and Youtube Red and whatnot rather than just ad revenue. So unless you can somehow make something that looks like an actual tv show with a decent budget, or have a hell of a personality like Markimoo, just do it for it for the fun right now.

Have fun, enjoy yourself, viewers can tell if you're actually having fun making the video and aren't just doing it out of some obligation, or just for the money. Build your fanbase. Slowly gather views, comments, likes and subs. I mean, even Pewds was a nobody at one time.