Is there a place for quieter, more reserved YT'ers?

ChargunHD

The FawX is on the Hunt
Reaction score
Website
www.twitch.tv
Channel Type
Gamer
It's very much age based I feel with the whole being overly energetic and loud, because of the high number of young people now having smartphones and laptops now a days the larger YouTubers have more viewing power.

I am the same way as you I don't care for being loud or trying to act really enthusiastic when in reality I just want to sit and enjoy playing the game. Some people like to take on this "Character" for their YouTube channels ie. PewDiePie etc.

darkstarmedia

Words are great.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I've noticed that the majority of popular YT'ers, especially in the gaming realm, generally seem to be over-energetic and enthusiastic in how they act and talk, and it makes me wonder if that's something that's holding my channel back.

I'm not a super energetic person, and I'm not over-the-top in my videos, but I wouldn't consider how I act and talk in them depressing or boring (but then again, that's me, you may see it that way xD)
Example

It just makes me wonder, though, if there's even a place for more reserved, quieter content creators on YT, or if the only way to succeed is to always be over-the-top and energetic.

Does anyone know if people actually like to watch quieter YT'ers? Or do I just need to start trying to be more energetic in my videos?
I can totally understand your thought process, but I don't think being reserved in your commentary is a lost cause. People are just naturally drawn to noise - louder gets more attention because we hear that above all else, but volume doesn't equate to fans. People these days are a lot fussier about their content, so I think as long as you have consistently good quality content, they'll follow you regardless of how many decibels you are.

Thijstastic

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I THINK NOT - Chivalry #1, 2:05
You are quite energetic here.

Darkinno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You just need to be yourself.Yes yelling and doing stupid things draws attention but you dont need to do that.I watch gosu .hes around 600.000-1.000.000subs and he bearly even talks :D

Sent from my ONE TOUCH 4033X using Tapatalk

adhdzombieslayer

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think it depends on personal preference I mean if your being yourself then that's all that matters I would rather subscribe to someone being themselves then someone who is faking being someone else because they are making a video I like all kinds of styles laid back and energetic so just be you and the views and subs will come.

Jtpetch

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Wow, all these replies! Thanks all for your thoughts and suggestions, quite the supportive community!

I THINK NOT - Chivalry #1, 2:05
You are quite energetic here.
Yeah, I was in that one xD, for what I left in anyway. I've noticed I'm a lot more "active" in my collab videos than I am in my solo ones (my Limbo videos are a good example of those :p), so it could just be that my better video style would be collabs (which I'm fine with, I enjoy those more honestly). I'm pretty much only "loud" when something happens, or the other people involved in the video talk, otherwise I don't say a whole lot. (Chivalry was a ~1hr vid cut down to 10 minutes, some of which was just loading/waiting/getting things to work, but a lot of it was just nothing going on commentary-wise)

About my editing/intro/music choice, yeah, they're not exactly the greatest yet xD
This is pretty much the first time I've done any "serious" editing aside from slapping two things together in WMM (eugh), so I'm just getting the hang of it.
(I'm also on a rather small budget for the whole YT thing, so I'm stuck with free software like Hitfilm and Audacity for now)
Mic and hardware-wise, I'm getting a new mic today (Blue Snowball, found a deal :p), so no more clipping/crackling (curse these horrible Logitech headset drivers), and I'm going to be upgrading my PC come this fall (all these new, beastly graphics cards at low prices! It's a good time for gamers!)

Fee007

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You should always be enthusiastic, but you don't have to be waayyy over the top to convey that to your viewers! And do what makes you comfortable. I also agree with Felix Cave, everyone has they own style.

Reaction score
That's kind of what my channel is for. I claim to be a halfway mark between the energetic community and the more relaxed one. They are two completely seperate partsof YouTube, but they do exist.

IsntChrisL

Easily Distracted
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
You can be quieter and more soft spoken but you need to be compelling. Be sincere, sure. But remember that you need to keep the attention of the viewer.

Zerodecoole

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
caesar.wtf
Channel Type
Other
Those are my favourite channels, I barely watch those vloggers anymore who are overly excited or have a whole diva character going on lol

Deadpan humor is my favourite type of humor!