How to start vlogging?

SkyversePlaysMc

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm only asking this question because 1. I need help... and 2. I'm apparently the first to ask. But please I don't know what to do! (I should really title this, "What camera should I get for vlogging" since I already got photo/video editing software...) I just need advice! Thanks in advance! :help:

Christiney92

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Any camera that shoots in HD :) I have a panasonic GH1 and that's really good, but I don't know what your budget is. Also invest in a good SD card, preferably class 10.

And Vlog about what you love! Try and be really animated and edit out your "um's" :)

I hope this helped in someway :)

Kate's Adventures

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
With regards to technology I can't really help much, other than say that I have a personal preference to a camera where I can monitor what I'm filming on a flip screen. I had to use my regular stills camera for vlogging one time and although it done a great job with quality, I spent a lot of time asking my friends to check the screen to see if my face was in it. I couldn't put up with that every day.
As for presenting a vlog, try to say what you're thinking out loud and describe what's going on around you. Even if you've said it earlier in the vlog, when you switch on the camera again don't be afraid to recap what's happened earlier or what you're about to do (it can come in handy if you later need to edit bits out).

Vidcast

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know you're not really supposed to promote your own stuff on here, but I did a video on vlogging, and tips and tricks which are really useful

It doesn't include anything on what camera, but basically, you'll need a budget of about £100-£150, and just make sure they shoot in HD like the person above said. Make sure you know what things like ISO, exposure, white balance focus and all that means and how to change it and work it on the camera you get. Do that and you'll be set :)

CoolMoo5

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
why not start with your cell phone if you have one. Or buy a camera.

Things to keep in mind if you buy something:
  • What is your budget?
  • Are you willing to buy used, refurbished or last years model?
  • What features do you need that only some cameras have? (flip out screen, mic jack, hot shoe, auto focus, etc.)
  • What is your knowledge of video production and cameras?
  • Are you willing to learn more technical stuff?. . . Or do you just want something with good automatic modes?

You didn't really give much information. The truth is there is not one best camera, it is all about what works best for you. I bought (and then sold) two cameras before I found the right one for me. In the process, I learned that I needed a flip out screen and a camera with good auto modes but still lots to change if I want to. Also the ability to change lenses was not something I needed at the moment, so I went with a point and shoot. But just think about what is best for you and in the mean time, if it takes you awhile to research what camera you want and save up money, start with your phone and just make videos. Thats my advice.

Zerodecoole

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
caesar.wtf
Channel Type
Other
What kind of vlogs are you talking about?

Walking with a camera in your hand kind of vlogs or standing in front of a camera kind of vlogs?\

For the first one I would suggest a small camera with a wide angle lens or a fisheye lens.
Example: Canon Vixia Mini

For the second one you could use a DSLR or camcorder.
Examples: Canon EOS 600D, Nikon D5200 or a JVC Everio

But I would like to add: Equipment doesn't really matter. You could still make quality content with the equipment that you already have unless you really want to buy better equipment =]
Most of my videos were recorded with my phone when my camera broke and the quality of my videos still looked like it was filmed on a normal camcorder lol

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Today your cellphone (if you have a current one) will shoot 1080p. Heck, my iPhone 6S plus shoots 4K @ 30fps!

Second, just get comfortable, shoot some videos without putting them on YouTube and develop your style. Then just go for it!

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Most smart phones can make fairly decent videos, provided you're in enough light (luckily, the sun is a marvelous source of light!), so if you want to vlog, and you already have a newer smartphone, start with that.

The best camera is the one you have with you. If you want to vlog, then make sure you're ready to record anytime anything interesting happens, or anytime you feel inspired to start talking or connecting with your audience.

I've found a lot of vloggers just lose steam after a few weeks or months, so make sure you know what your pace will be so you don't burn out too quickly, and what your focus is, so it's not just another person filming themselves going to the mall or doing, say, yet another set of store hauls that we've seen from tons of other vloggers.