How much does it help using super specific tags that rank really high?

UnicycleFight

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So if you use a very specific long winded tag and it's ranked #1 does it really help you if its THAT specific? What are the chances of someone finding it? Does it give you some kind of bump for having high rankings in general?

Sin B

2017 blows
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you're ranked 76040403060 no one will find you no matter what they search.
If you're ranked #1 for a specific thing someone will find you whether it be today or in 5 months. Since it should also show up on Google search means you'll be #1 on Google and people Google some random things that also helps.

Something is better than nothing is the logic anyways. Cause one word tags that 7million other people use gets you nowhere.

Reactions: UnicycleFight

UnicycleFight

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you're ranked 76040403060 no one will find you no matter what they search.
If you're ranked #1 for a specific thing someone will find you whether it be today or in 5 months. Since it should also show up on Google search means you'll be #1 on Google and people Google some random things that also helps.

Something is better than nothing is the logic anyways. Cause one word tags that 7million other people use gets you nowhere.
I see what you mean. Thanks!

Doctor Dano

Doctor Dano
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So if you use a very specific long winded tag and it's ranked #1 does it really help you if its THAT specific? What are the chances of someone finding it? Does it give you some kind of bump for having high rankings in general?
They (the YT-advisors) always hammer on really paying attention to your tags. And it's true, but I've seen certain vids from low sub channels rank up very high while using only 3 simple tags. So it's more then tags alone. The algorithm is kinda messy. I am not even talking about "viral" vids. Ive seen channels, 10-20 views a month on each vid, and then you see one vid popping out with over 150K views with a same style vid. There is now also this kid on Youtube that is hitting allot of views and subs cuz his channel is popping up as recommanded worldwide. Just check "failuresgalore" on YT. It's kinda bizar.

UnicycleFight

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
They (the YT-advisors) always hammer on really paying attention to your tags. And it's true, but I've seen certain vids from low sub channels rank up very high while using only 3 simple tags. So it's more then tags alone. The algorithm is kinda messy. I am not even talking about "viral" vids. Ive seen channels, 10-20 views a month on each vid, and then you see one vid popping out with over 150K views with a same style vid. There is now also this kid on Youtube that is hitting allot of views and subs cuz his channel is popping up as recommanded worldwide. Just check "failuresgalore" on YT. It's kinda bizar.
Yeah I had a video recommended to me yesterday showing a bee keeper trying to introduce a new queen bee to a hive and they all try and kill her. No tags at all on the video and I've never looked up anything about bees and the comments showed a lot of people commentIng about the algorithm. lol

Sin B

2017 blows
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah I had a video recommended to me yesterday showing a bee keeper trying to introduce a new queen bee to a hive and they all try and kill her. No tags at all on the video and I've never looked up anything about bees and the comments showed a lot of people commentIng about the algorithm. lol
I got the same video yesterday...

and it's a recent trend completely random a** videos get 1mil+ views with no tags or anything because it shows up on literally half of youtube's feed.

YouTubers United Podcast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've noticed that ranking high for super specific tags can eventually lead to higher ranking on more general tags of the some topic.
For example, I ranked high for 'short history of islam' and eventually ranked for the more general 'history of islam'.
I even rank now for just 'islam'.
So start specific and include general tags as well so you can rank up as you accrue watch time.

Dave B

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you receive a bump for high ranked tags. I think it's more about the tag being a high rank in itself is what will give you the bump. "Long winded tags" also know as long tail tags are a compliment to shorter tags, and so, should be used as part of a strong keyword strategy that combines both forms.

Usually, long tail tags will not generate as much traffic as the shorter ones but it will definitely drive traffic to your page/video. I think for a new channel it is really important to use this technique as it will help to build a strong core audience from the get go.

Hope this helps.

UnicycleFight

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well I'm happy to report, I left the new long tags on overnight as an experiment and it seems to work! I went from 32 to 80 views (which is a lot for my channel atm) I was able to word several of them differently and have them rank pretty high and it seems to be effective. Much more so than anything else I've tried.[DOUBLEPOST=1481046139,1481046038][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've noticed that ranking high for super specific tags can eventually lead to higher ranking on more general tags of the some topic.
For example, I ranked high for 'short history of islam' and eventually ranked for the more general 'history of islam'.
I even rank now for just 'islam'.
So start specific and include general tags as well so you can rank up as you accrue watch time.
Yes! That happened to my CPU video last night! I had several specific high ranking tags and it bumped it up for the "upgrading AMD" tag :)[DOUBLEPOST=1481046217][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm not sure if you receive a bump for high ranked tags. I think it's more about the tag being a high rank in itself is what will give you the bump. "Long winded tags" also know as long tail tags are a compliment to shorter tags, and so, should be used as part of a strong keyword strategy that combines both forms.

Usually, long tail tags will not generate as much traffic as the shorter ones but it will definitely drive traffic to your page/video. I think for a new channel it is really important to use this technique as it will help to build a strong core audience from the get go.

Hope this helps.
Yes and I saw an immediate result so that was nice!

Reactions: Alexander Hoff

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
It's a strategy I use. And I constantly work around tags until they all have some kind of ranking. I've found that using super specific tags and getting tanked on them does help. Yes you won't have thousands of hits, but, the people looking for that are usually very dedicated in. That topic they are searching for and will be more likely to comment , sub, and stay connected to you. Especially if you have the one thing they are looking for that no one else has