How long would you say it takes you to edit an average video?

One of our "trail" videos can take upwards of 20 hours. We shoot most videos using up to 5 cameras so I'll usually have 300-700 clips/5-6 hours of video to go through and edit down to the 5-8 minute final video.. The videos are always sync'd to music which is a lot of work then of course color correction which takes forever.. Then my obsessive tweaking/fixing goes on for a while..

Last edited:
My videos take me about 5 hours to edit once I get all the footage uploaded. That includes my voiceover track. I'm still learning hitfilm4 express, but am liking it so far.
By the way @The NotARubicon! I saw your reply about my channel, but I can't reply to that thread... Obviously, I ended up keeping my name and channel and just going with it. Working out so far, I broke 1100 subs I think recently. I have a bunch of videos planned for this summer.

One of our "trail" videos can take upwards of 20 hours. We shoot most videos using up to 5 cameras so I'll usually have 300-700 clips/5-6 hours of video to go through and edit down to the 5-8 minute final video.. The videos are always sync'd to music which is a lot of work then of course color correction which takes forever.. Then my obsessive tweaking/fixing goes on for a while..
sounds like we have a lot in common! A lot of footage to edit down and also you seem like a perfectionist like me! It's both good and bad haha

My editing requires 40+ hours for my channel specifically. I can cut together and colour correct a short 30 second to 1 minute video given the imported media is well organized and I'm provided a shot log.

If you haven't heard of using a shot log I highly recommend it. Get your camera guy (if that is you, then you can do this) to print out an excel spreadsheet. Your camera should record by default the same clip titles (like MOV_802_0001) and every subsequent clip will be 1 number higher than the last. So on your spreadsheet you can indicate what kind of shots you took, the location of the shot, and whether or not it was a good take. This saves you from having to remember which take was the best take and not having to delete bad takes in camera. Some cameras allow you to set up custom clip names which can also make it easier when editing and can save a lot of time.

I probably spend around an hour or two editing the average video. But that number could easily be doubled or cut in half depending on the video. Of course after editing there's still making the thumbnail, choosing the title, tags, adding end cards, etc.. If we count all of the post production stuff, it'd be a larger number.

It usually takes me about 15 minutes per 1 minute of finished material, though it does depend a lot on what I'm editing.

Back