How do you plan your videos?

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Howdy Y'all,

As an overall strategy to plan your future videos, what do you do?
Do you plan out 1-5 videos, or 10-20 videos out front?
Do you plan based on a overall topic for all your videos, or specific playlists with highly related content?
Do you do "1 off" videos that don't ft your other playlists?

I'm finding myself planning more very specific playlists.
So we've got a "careless dad" playlist where I crush toys, because I'm careless.
We've also got a "giant surprise egg" playlist.
And a "surprise toys hunt" playlist.

So every video is very specific, into it's own playlist along with similar videos.

Interested to know how everyone does their future video plans.

Reactions: Neobroski

Tabbes

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
I have a notebook for video ideas.. lol.
Just going through making them one by one, no overlaps or it gets too confusing.

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

XXLRay

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have multiple themed playlists. Currently I am restoring an inherited set of woodworking tools. So this is a story arc in itself. Apart from that I create a project folder for any idea I have and come back to it when I have some time to work e.g. on the script or when it fits into my schedule.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i just come up with the idea and execute it and if i dont like the end result, scrap it and try something else.
Cool! Having that flexibility is great! I find I need more planning as the investment in toys is quite heavy, both in the time spent finding toys, specials, places to buy, and then actually buying them. So I need to make sure we can get 2-5 videos out of the toys, otherwise it's a water of $$.[DOUBLEPOST=1473234334,1473234128][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have a notebook for video ideas.. lol.
Just going through making them one by one, no overlaps or it gets too confusing.
Good idea too. I keep a video ideas notebook also. If I see something funny or interesting, I jot it down as a future possible video. That's how I got the idea for squashing the toys under the car - there was hard garbage collection in the neighborhood a while back, and a toy must have been thrown or whatever onto the road, and it was crushed under cars driving by. I saw it and thought, what if we do that intentionally? Hence the careless dad playlist idea was born. So 2.5M views later in the playlist, I am happy how that one turned out.[DOUBLEPOST=1473234502][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have multiple themed playlists. Currently I am restoring an inherited set of woodworking tools. So this is a story arc in itself. Apart from that I create a project folder for any idea I have and come back to it when I have some time to work e.g. on the script or when it fits into my schedule.
That's a great idea. I keep my ideas in a Word doc, but since reading this I have now separated it out into separate docs and folders. Whoa and behold I have 4 distinct ideas for playlists now, with very unique videos for each. I have done some preliminary research and have identified channels and videos that have done something similar. That info goes into the folders now, and the playlists can be better planned. Thanks!

Reactions: Tabbes and XXLRay

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Howdy Y'all,

As an overall strategy to plan your future videos, what do you do?
Do you plan out 1-5 videos, or 10-20 videos out front?
Do you plan based on a overall topic for all your videos, or specific playlists with highly related content?
Do you do "1 off" videos that don't ft your other playlists?

I'm finding myself planning more very specific playlists.
So we've got a "careless dad" playlist where I crush toys, because I'm careless.
We've also got a "giant surprise egg" playlist.
And a "surprise toys hunt" playlist.

So every video is very specific, into it's own playlist along with similar videos.

Interested to know how everyone does their future video plans.
I’m still learning and changing along as I’m still relatively new so I re-adjust a lot still.

My current planning for my channel is the following:
Tuesday – Play Doh creations
Thursday – Puzzle
Saturday – I want to focus this one on kids challenges, battles, showdown or whatever you call them.
Sunday – Toy review

In the future when things take off, I want to think of a 5th format for the Fridays, maybe something outside of the studio or maybe not.
So from this planning it should be fairly easy for my subscribers to expect which content on which day. I also want to reorganize my playlists on these subjects so that I have all the puzzles in on playlist, all the play doh in one playlist, etc. I also want to create playlists around certain brands, e.g. I’m now focusing on my little pony and that is a subject on all of the categories above. E.g. a MLP puzzle, MLP play doh creation, MLP challenge or MLP toy unboxing and I combine them in a MLP playlist and try to cross tag all of it as well.

Time wise, I tend to write down ideas roughly 2 to 3 weeks ahead of time and purchase what I need accordingly. I do change things last minute as well and move something to another week if I believe it’s better, even after recording sometimes. Sometimes I also see something on sale which is too good of a deal to pass and I just buy it. E.g bigger toys with a 75% sale are too good to pass, even if I haven't developed any authority yet on those brands :)[DOUBLEPOST=1473239373,1473238602][/DOUBLEPOST]One other thing, I'm trying to limit the amount of "one off's" and make better correlations between what I make. So far I have made several one off's, e.g. teaching, but haven't followed that up with a series. I originally wanted to do science experiments, alphabet, colors, etc as all the other channels do but I learned I need to focus and improve what I have instead of going all over the place. At least that's my thought process right now haha

Last edited:

Lizzeelive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't plan my videos. They just happen. I don't think you can really plan a video where you play a game, especially of it is your first time playing it!

Reactions: Alexander Hoff

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't plan my videos. They just happen. I don't think you can really plan a video where you play a game, especially of it is your first time playing it!
You can always pretend right? That's what I often do for my videos :) I first unbox myself, have a look what's inside, read instructions, play a bit with it if possible, watch a video on youtube who has done the same thing, and then go record the video.

Reactions: Lizzeelive

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I’m still learning and changing along as I’m still relatively new so I re-adjust a lot still.

My current planning for my channel is the following:
Tuesday – Play Doh creations
Thursday – Puzzle
Saturday – I want to focus this one on kids challenges, battles, showdown or whatever you call them.
Sunday – Toy review

In the future when things take off, I want to think of a 5th format for the Fridays, maybe something outside of the studio or maybe not.
So from this planning it should be fairly easy for my subscribers to expect which content on which day. I also want to reorganize my playlists on these subjects so that I have all the puzzles in on playlist, all the play doh in one playlist, etc. I also want to create playlists around certain brands, e.g. I’m now focusing on my little pony and that is a subject on all of the categories above. E.g. a MLP puzzle, MLP play doh creation, MLP challenge or MLP toy unboxing and I combine them in a MLP playlist and try to cross tag all of it as well.

Time wise, I tend to write down ideas roughly 2 to 3 weeks ahead of time and purchase what I need accordingly. I do change things last minute as well and move something to another week if I believe it’s better, even after recording sometimes. Sometimes I also see something on sale which is too good of a deal to pass and I just buy it. E.g bigger toys with a 75% sale are too good to pass, even if I haven't developed any authority yet on those brands :)[DOUBLEPOST=1473239373,1473238602][/DOUBLEPOST]One other thing, I'm trying to limit the amount of "one off's" and make better correlations between what I make. So far I have made several one off's, e.g. teaching, but haven't followed that up with a series. I originally wanted to do science experiments, alphabet, colors, etc as all the other channels do but I learned I need to focus and improve what I have instead of going all over the place. At least that's my thought process right now haha
It's a good idea that you're sticking to a consistent plan. I tried to do it, but too many things got in the way and new ideas always popped up, so it was hard to do a certain video on a certain day. Anyways, our audience is 2-8 year olds, I don't think they understand schedules much, certainly not the younger ages, so I completely abandoned that idea.

Your playlist strategy is awesome! If I think of it as a matrix, then the rows would be the types of videos (playdoh, eggs, experiments) and the columns would be the toy brands, and you build playlists along the rows and columns, so you cover all keyword combinations.

I go on my toy hunts on Wednesdays, it's when the Salvation Army thrift shops have a 20% discount. My record so far is 14 shops between 9am and 3pm, before heading back to pick up the kids at school. Funny you mention MLP, one of the chain shops has 70% off on it, I was going to go tomorrow to stock up.

Reactions: KidsCorner

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's a good idea that you're sticking to a consistent plan. I tried to do it, but too many things got in the way and new ideas always popped up, so it was hard to do a certain video on a certain day. Anyways, our audience is 2-8 year olds, I don't think they understand schedules much, certainly not the younger ages, so I completely abandoned that idea.

Your playlist strategy is awesome! If I think of it as a matrix, then the rows would be the types of videos (playdoh, eggs, experiments) and the columns would be the toy brands, and you build playlists along the rows and columns, so you cover all keyword combinations.

I go on my toy hunts on Wednesdays, it's when the Salvation Army thrift shops have a 20% discount. My record so far is 14 shops between 9am and 3pm, before heading back to pick up the kids at school. Funny you mention MLP, one of the chain shops has 70% off on it, I was going to go tomorrow to stock up.
Haha you are correct about kids not thinking of upload schedule, but it does help me to keep it from going all over the place haha. And hopefully it would help from a SEO perspective to keep the subjects similar from one week to the next.

Thanks for that around the play list, a third thing I forgot to mention is that I plan to have sublists as well in a category once I have enough video's. So all the minnie mouse, daisy duck, donald duck, etc puzzles in one playlist, all the princess puzzles in another, etc. Same thing for Play Doh, I plan to make all the popular My Little Ponies over the next months and put them all in a playlist as well. For Toy Stoy I still have almost 2 years to complete them before Toy Story 4 comes out haha

Wow, 14 shops in 6 hours, mad!!! I have 3 shops besides some webshops I keep an eye on. That MLP deal for 70% sounds crazy, I would stock up as well. :) I bought this last week, didn't have time over the weekend to record it yet.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Little-Pony-Twilight-Sparkle/dp/B00HX8NMVQ