How did you learn to edit?

crosbyo

Reaction score
I assume the obvious, which is Youtube videos.

But if you had a particularly helpful series/videos could you recommend them for myself and others who may find this thread?

Zesty

Zesty Person!/Rainbow Six Youtuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'll be making a series soon, but I'd suggest looking at the forums listed here for more detailed information :)

Reactions: Finessejuugrs

Jack Swish

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I learnt how to edit when I was like 12 and then learnt new programmes. When it comes to editing styles have a look around and see what others are doing and you can normally get your head around what they are doing or how they are. My best tip is learn a good editing software well!

Blunt Brittany

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I learned to edit when I took TV Productions in high school. It was a really great class and got me interested in video etc. I hadn't done any editing in like 4 years until a couple months ago when I started YouTube and I had to relearn a few things, especially since Adobe Premier has had some updates. There are great videos on YouTube on how to do it. Its pretty simple. Also, this forum has great threads for it. Most of it I had to teach myself though! Good luck! :)

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I started on VHS tape and two VCRS before the days of internet. Later I used Windows Movie Maker, self-taught through trial & error. Now I use PowerDirector, also self taught.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

snowxvi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian, Commentator
I learned to edit mostly from just using the program, after learning the basics you begin to test and try out different styles and grow from that.

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I assume the obvious, which is Youtube videos.

But if you had a particularly helpful series/videos could you recommend them for myself and others who may find this thread?
what programs are you using? I have a channel specific to the program I use that I go to when I need to learn something. I'm sure they are out there for all software. If you use Cyberlink I will show you who I watch, otherwise just search around.

Baylze

Overwatch YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I actually taught myself through trial and error through different softwares. I find it difficult to follow other people's tutorials and instructions on YouTube, so had to, really!

GBeeTV

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Learn by doing, it's the best way!

Olroy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I see a lot of people who are saying they learnt by doing, which is great! I too learnt a lot of what I know by googling the questions I had and browsing forum posts etc. I also watched a lot of tutorials from Video copilot, Film Riot, and Corridor Digital (Sam and Niko). Of course in order to do this you have to kinda be a competent computer user and know your terminology, good luck trying to google something you don't know the name of :p

If you're an adobe user I definitely recommend checking out the sources I listed above, but if you're a Vegas user then try looking through Arbiter617's older videos (now called Black Plasma Studios or something) he posted some really good tutorials, I think he has a 1 hour long one that goes through like EVERYTHING in Vegas or something. If you use anything else then that's cool, but I would recommend you look into getting Adobe Creative cloud and learning Premiere Pro, there's just so much more you can do with a non linear editing application, plus it integrates perfectly with after effects.