HELP!! Custom URL?

Gametrap

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Have you met all the requirements to choose your own custom URL? Your sub count is hidden so we can't see if you have at least 100 subs. If you haven't met all the requirments and don't want to wait, you can go with what YouTube offers you (to add extra characters).

Custom URL Requirments:
Of course, dude. If that weren't the case, I wouldn't even be able to claim a custom URL. I just always get this message, when I try to claim it, which makes no sense: Many people have the same name. Add a few extra letters or numbers to this URL to get one that is unique for you.

HomelessRyder

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
No, I think you are thinking of the wrong thing.

The entire reason why the youtube system switched to the youtube.com/c system was because there were a lot of dead accounts using the youtube.com/user system. It is now impossible to create a youtube.com/user URL.

They are in no way connected and as long as youtube.com/c/thegametrap is free, I should be able to claim it.

Tommy Oliver from Rebel Pixels had the same problem and he explained it detail. We had a conversation about it on Twitter and he said, he just waited and eventually they let him claim it, but he has no idea why.

I'm trying to figure out why he was able to claim it. What you said has absolutely nothing to with this.
Sorry if I'm sounding harsh, but what you said just seems ignorant.
No sir, you are 100% incorrect.

I have an old account that uses /user/homelessryder. I tried going to the channel via /c/homelessryder and it worked.

They have to be connected so that people can't go around and claim /c/ channels like Smosh, PewDiePie, etc. who all still have /user/ URL's.

I advise you test this stuff for yourself before calling someone ignorant in the future. Thanks

P.S. I looked at your channel, and though your subs are set to private you only have 1,000 total views so it's doubtful that you have the requirements for a custom URL unless you bought fake subs.

Reactions: xingcat

Gametrap

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
@HomelessRyder @xingcat
First off, I really wasn't trying to mean/offensive with what I said, but I've been researching this for hours and I thought I fully understood it. What you two said I had never heard before and it sounded stupid to me, which was me just getting frustrated. Sorry.

Second, I don't use fake subs. Some of my friends and family subed my channel and they don't watch every video, but my subs are real.

I think I got my answer, but I just want to say, that I wasn't trying to offend any of you and you are all very nice people for responding to my question. I'm sorry for overreacting. ^ - ^

Last edited:
Reactions: xingcat

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
You can't have the same name as your Google Plus account.
You have to remove a letter from your Google Plus name, and then put in your desired name,

Then you can change your name back to what it was after you have claimed your custom URL.
I had to do this with my norwegian channel. It wanted me to be MatboksenNorskGaming1 or some stupid thing like that, so I just removed the G at the end, and then it worked without adding a number or random letters.

Gametrap

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You can't have the same name as your Google Plus account.
You have to remove a letter from your Google Plus name, and then put in your desired name,

Then you can change your name back to what it was after you have claimed your custom URL.
I had to do this with my norwegian channel. It wanted me to be MatboksenNorskGaming1 or some stupid thing like that, so I just removed the G at the end, and then it worked without adding a number or random letters.
I tried that, too, but it still didn't work. This time I got the message: The URL isn't available. Try another?
Again, this is weird, because if you go to google.com/+thegametrap, you get the 404 error, which means it shouldn't have been claimed.

Still, thanks for the suggestion!

JesusGreen

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
So I specifically went for a rather unusual name for my channel initially to ensure that I could get a specific custom URL when I reached 100 subs. It was also short, easy to remember, and stood out from other names. I checked and made sure that there were no channels with the name already (though I doubted there would be, as I couldn't even find a single username with such a name anywhere via Google, nevermind just YouTube).

So fast forward just under 2 months and I've hit 100 subscribers now. I went to go claim my custom URL, and it's telling me:
Many people have the same name. Add a few extra letters or numbers to this URL to get one that is unique for you
I noticed it also wants to change my Google+ url so I thought perhaps someone already had the name on there, but I checked, and no-one has the name on either Google+ or YouTube.

So is there anything I can still do to get the name, or am I all out of luck?

If not, what do you guys think would be the best alternative
- stick with the current name and suffer having to add something to the end of it?
or
- completely rebrand the channel name to something else?
or
- rebrand to use my real life name, since I am a self-development channel after all and would like to be known outside of YouTube for what I do in the future.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance :)

asmoK

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have red an article where it sais that even if someone in the past was using the name "x" and for some reason the channel was deleted.. you still can't use the name "x" correct me if i'm wrong.

JesusGreen

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Well looks like I solved the problem. Apparently most people are seeing this message, and you basically do have to add something on to the end of the name. So what I did was rename myself in Google+ and shorten my name by a few characters, then I added *those* characters to the end of my custom URL, allowing me to get the exact URL I wanted. Then after that I changed my name back in Google+. Now the custom URL is working and I have my existing name still :)

Tl;dr if anyone faces this problem, do the following:
Say your channel name is "BobsHatStore" and you want your custom URL to be "BobsHatStore", but when you try to do it, it tells you that others have this name, and to add a few characters/letters. Yet you've checked and confirmed no-one else is using this name on either G+ or YouTube.

Now..
Rename yourself in google+ to "BobsHatStor"
Refresh the page, click "claim custom URL", it'll say YouTube.com/c/BobsHatStor and then it'll tell you that other people have this name and to add a few characters or letters.
So just add an "e" so it should now say:
YouTube.com/c/BobsHatStor - e
giving you the url of YouTube.com/c/BobsHatStore/

Now accept the terms, confirm. Then go back to the Google+ name change option, and change your name back to BobsHatStore. Voila. Job done. :)

Furry Gurus

I'm a girl!
Reaction score
Well looks like I solved the problem. Apparently most people are seeing this message, and you basically do have to add something on to the end of the name. So what I did was rename myself in Google+ and shorten my name by a few characters, then I added *those* characters to the end of my custom URL, allowing me to get the exact URL I wanted. Then after that I changed my name back in Google+. Now the custom URL is working and I have my existing name still :)

Tl;dr if anyone faces this problem, do the following:
Say your channel name is "BobsHatStore" and you want your custom URL to be "BobsHatStore", but when you try to do it, it tells you that others have this name, and to add a few characters/letters. Yet you've checked and confirmed no-one else is using this name on either G+ or YouTube.

Now..
Rename yourself in google+ to "BobsHatStor"
Refresh the page, click "claim custom URL", it'll say YouTube.com/c/BobsHatStor and then it'll tell you that other people have this name and to add a few characters or letters.
So just add an "e" so it should now say:
YouTube.com/c/BobsHatStor - e
giving you the url of YouTube.com/c/BobsHatStore/

Now accept the terms, confirm. Then go back to the Google+ name change option, and change your name back to BobsHatStore. Voila. Job done. :)
lol :p I've heard this before, but it is still funny :D