For Those With Little Motivation

JustMonotone

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hello guys! My name is JustMonotone. I know I have said this before but I will probably say it in my posts all the time. I am a high school student from San Antonio who is trying to have a fun time on YouTube and trying to express himself and meet new people.

I know that it's hard starting out, I would know. I once had a channel when I was in Middle School because I did YouTube for fun. That was back then and my goodness YouTube has changed dramatically from when I was doing it back then. Today, I am trying to do this as a hobby and maybe (if I'm lucky) turn it into a sort of part-time job in the long run.

I know what it feels like to lose all motivation to make any sort of videos whatsoever. There are so many ways that someone can just easily stop making videos because they have seem to just lose all motivation to do anything regarding YouTube.

This is how my last channel went, and I honestly regret it quite a bit. My channel is still up from that time, but I haven't posted a video on there for years. It was actually only through a friend that I finally decided that I would attempt to start up another YouTube channel from scratch. I will say, this is the most fun I have had in a while because I am starting to branch out to more things rather than just staying closeted and only playing games I feel comfortable with. Heck, I am even starting to play Alien: Isolation on my channel and I NEVER play horror games and only have through bets or challenges with friends around.

For those of you who have little to no motivation, here are some tips that I can come up with that might help you with your endeavors through the arduous process of trying to start up your channel:

1. DO NOT FAKE IT!
I cannot stress this enough, do not fake your emotions while making your videos on YouTube. I have a friend who tried doing something like that and it made it feel like he was doing it as a job rather than a hobby that he could enjoy. This has made it really hard for him to try and become authentic and he tries to get out of that funk but has made him much less active than he used to be.

2. DO WHAT YOU ENJOY!
I know this is extremely cliche but do not try to force different things onto yourself in an attempt to try to make a video to gain views, it's no fun. I know multiple people that try to do stuff like this and honestly their content is a bit lacking on the authentic side. If you do what you enjoy rather than just going with the group, YouTube will be a much more enjoyable experience and your content will most likely improve as a result.

3. IF ALL ELSE FAILS, FIND SOME PEOPLE TO COLLABORATE WITH!
While this does sound a bit off the wall, it also seems like it would help a lot with those who don't have a really good personality on their own. This can be off-putting when trying to gain views, so find someone that shares similar interests as you and try to make a video or two with them. This will not only be fun, but might even be a way to try and get yourself more noticed on YouTube.

Well, I know this seems like a bit of a rant-y post but I felt that I could share some of my experiences with people on this site and perhaps help some people in their future endeavors. If you guys have any other suggestions or tricks for people do feel free to comment them in this thread.

If you made it this far, thank for reading through this long and arduous post!

Winger94

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You hit right into the spot. Losing the motivation is something that can easily happen to a lot of people for many different reasons. I was facing something like that lately: I mean I love doing videos and editing them, but the low results (low compared to other channels that have the same age of mine) made me feel somehow "sad", despite I will never give up because I have my mind set up and a target I want to achieve.
I agree on everything you stated: being yourself is what makes you unique after all and giving up on that is just something stupid! Of course you can create a "character" for your channel but that will anyway be something that belongs to you!
I'm happy to see this kind of posts!

LadyAiluro

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Like Winger94 said, i'v felt pretty sad when i see people overtake me in numbers. I check what they are doing maybe to learn from them, but never had the feeling that i needed to be like them to gain what they have. Also a lot of people say that you need to have schedule, but it kinda goes against do what makes you happy. If you have a schedule it kinda feels more like work to me. If i feel like playing amnesia i will damn wel play amnesia, instead of another game that i would rather not play. Why would you play it and get it over with as fast as possible. You video will get that vibe across to your viewers, unless you are a very good actor (but that makes us come back full circle to the faking bit)

JustMonotone

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Like Winger94 said, i'v felt pretty sad when i see people overtake me in numbers. I check what they are doing maybe to learn from them, but never had the feeling that i needed to be like them to gain what they have. Also a lot of people say that you need to have schedule, but it kinda goes against do what makes you happy. If you have a schedule it kinda feels more like work to me. If i feel like playing amnesia i will damn wel play amnesia, instead of another game that i would rather not play. Why would you play it and get it over with as fast as possible. You video will get that vibe across to your viewers, unless you are a very good actor (but that makes us come back full circle to the faking bit)
That can be true, but it really depends on the person. If they feel like making a schedule will help them stay more motivated then by all means do it. I tend to go to a game that I want to play at that time and just continue to upload on the days that I have made for myself. I still have fun with the games and it doesn't take too much of a toll on my work ethic.

Jordan Pike

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thanks for the reminder man. I make vlogs, and I like to keep it positive, but I've found I can't fake the positivity. It's perfectly ok to have a positive outlook, but I don't need to try and force it on the viewer. Starting a channel and finding your grove is definitely a challenging process! Especially for people who aren't the most confident starting out. I 100% agree, keep it authentic, and don't fake it. That doesn't mean one cannot still produce high quality, entertaining content. This is what I will be striving for. :)

Neimers

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I really appreciate this advice! I think not faking your emotions is 100% true.

I had made a video about optimism recently (it was rather sarcastic) and after filming it, I looked over the footage and I just felt so unhappy with it. I was saying the lines right, I was doing everything correctly but I knew that what I felt wasn't right. I was having a really off day that day, having gotten into a few arguments and so I set aside the video, said **** it to my schedule and was like, let me just have a me day. Three days later I refilmed the video in a much better mood and found myself not only engaging better with the material, but more excited with the final product and obviously proudly uploaded it.

But yeah - end result, don't fake it. If you don't like it - then do something you like instead! I've probably said this like 10 times on Ytalk already, but if you're not happy with something, change it until you are. There's no excuse but yourself haha! :D Thanks for the advice again :)

Plague Ephlik

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
i've heard this ''schedule'' thing a lot myself but as a spectator I can say I literally have never even paid attention to if anyone on my subscriptions has a schedule to look out for. Not like I would be able to memorize them all if everyone did anyhow so I think ''needed'' is a bit of a stretch for them to say.

LadyAiluro

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i've heard this ''schedule'' thing a lot myself but as a spectator I can say I literally have never even paid attention to if anyone on my subscriptions has a schedule to look out for. Not like I would be able to memorize them all if everyone did anyhow so I think ''needed'' is a bit of a stretch for them to say.
I feel exactly the same way. I have been watching many gamers before starting myself, and all these schedules they had, didn't care. I logged on whenever i had time and seen what was new at the time. That was it all the time and every time. I suppose it might work for others, but it is all a personal thing, see what works best for yourself.