Does taking a long break kill your channel?

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey everyone,
Just wanted to know from anyone's experiences, does taking a long break (3-4 months) kill your channel (people unsubbing, youtube analytics penalise your vids/channel) ?
Has anyone found it hard to start up again?

I run a freediving channel -each video produced requires perfect water/weather conditions. I'm thinking of taking a 3 month break as summer is approaching. I don't really do any freediving during the summer months (murky water) and i'll be travelling as well.

LDTGuys

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would say that it will depend on your content. One thing you could do is Vblog outside of diving. Talk on topics that are related but outside of diving directly. Talk about things like updates on Marine life discoveries, changes in the diving world, etc. It could be possible to keep the channel going without posting normal videos but with a community interested in your niche, it could keep going. I would just talk with your viewers about it in a video and keep them up to date on social media sites or have Vblog video releases. My channel is new but the work I have done with other organizations I have seen breaks go both well and resume no problem and kill media accounts. So I would say just talk with your community and get their ideas.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't know I never took a few months off. one time I took a week off because I had surgery and I was in the hospital, I had no way to upload.

Reactions: Ocean Chan

Cameron Arnold

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Other
For me I havent upload a video like for weeks even one month rarely but I'm planning to upload more frequently and my sub count is slowly building up again

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I guess it depends. Some people can just pick up where they left off as if nothing happened, some people just lose their views and subs. But that doesn't mean they can't gain new views and subs once they're back. Also some people take the break as a chance to reinvent themselves and come back with all new stuff.

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would say that it will depend on your content. One thing you could do is Vblog outside of diving. Talk on topics that are related but outside of diving directly. Talk about things like updates on Marine life discoveries, changes in the diving world, etc. It could be possible to keep the channel going without posting normal videos but with a community interested in your niche, it could keep going. I would just talk with your viewers about it in a video and keep them up to date on social media sites or have Vblog video releases. My channel is new but the work I have done with other organizations I have seen breaks go both well and resume no problem and kill media accounts. So I would say just talk with your community and get their ideas.
Thanks everyone for your replies. opened my eyes to the possible of doing other things which still directs people to my channel.
I might even travel a bit and produce some travel vlogs and expand on the type of content!

FRANKIEandEMILY

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
For us, our plateaus...no real loss or gain. Consistency is key + a schedule. Also if you're taking a break having highly searchable videos that are "evergreen" (easily found, always relevant, etc...example: How To Edit Videos) will help because you will get consistent traffic from those.

FleXiNaToR

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think you can take a break but you should let your subs know you taking a break and you will be coming back after your off days,don't just leave without saying anything.
Also as you know a schedule is also very important so that your subs know when the new content is coming.
Don't post too much in a short period because it will burn you out and then you will need time off.

Quick Question

Questions Answer Everything
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah I think it depends. If you spend time off but your content is evergreen, meaning it is valuable at the time of making and in the future, then you should be fine. Also, if you come back and do exactly what you did before, as in you do what got you the subscribers in the first place, then they have no reason to unsub in fact they have more reason to stay. A third thing is that it kind of gives the sub a break, instead of being notified they can have a chance to see other stuff, when they come back they can go "Oh nice that one guy I like is back, sweeeeet" or "I totally forgot about this guy, I'm glad I didn't unsub"