Do your friends support you and your videos?

FloFloBear

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know I only made a few videos and should probably not draw conclusions yet, but I wanted to share what I've experienced so far. For all my videos, it feels like I am getting a lot more support and genuine appreciation from people on the internet or strangers who happen to stumble upon my videos, than I get from my friends. I've got a very small number of good friends, not including my girlfriend who is always there supporting all my things and commenting first on everything lol.

One of my closest friends discovered my video by himself, as he was already subscribed to me and on his own initiative messaged me as soon as I posted it to tell me how amazing it is and all... Then later in the analytics I could see he only watched 23 seconds...Kinda heartbreaking...

On the other hand people on the internet have actually messaged me, left meaningful comments and have actually watched the whole thing and I am really, really happy to see this!

I was wondering if anyone else felt something like this? Are your friends supporting you and your videos?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wahduhhec and IVY

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think friends can quite often be dishonest, that the long and short of it. Maybe that guy didn't like it but wanted to see you succeed so he dropped a message of support. Personally, most of my friends have their own stuff going on and they have busy lives, so I don't expect any support from them. The people who do care about my channel and the people who do get involved are the ones I spend my youtube energy on.

At the end of the day tho, do you really need their support?

unevenflaps

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think it's important to not expect people who are friends with you to have an interest in content you create, like you i have close friends who support what i create, some who might just watch but it doesn't come up in conversation or people who know me but don't watch my videos much or at all. It's hard to tell from the post but since you pointed out close friends separately it seems that the friends who didn't watch your stuff aren't your close friends or might be people you don't see or talk to as much. Those friends might have just found something they didn't like in the video and didn't want to hurt your feelings, or if they don't talk to you much and the first conversation you have in a while ends up with you asking them to watch a video they might feel that was the only reason you approached them.

Friendships should be inherently low maintenance and it's important to not be too upset if you're friends don't watch your videos, some will, some will sometimes, some won't. If you're friends don't watch your videos it would be unhealthy to class it as a malicious act and it's better to have the mindset of "no one has to watch my stuff if my friends like the videos i make then that's cool" and besides you have a strong following that many on this forum would envy.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I’m not in school anymore so I really don’t hangout with people like I use to when I was in school, but the people I use I to hangout with I stayed friends worth for a little bit after we graduated. I’ve been graduated for 3 years now and I don’t really talk to any of the people I hung out with except for a cop people but we stoped talking went are separate ways, some of them found my YouTube channel and they told me they liked it and their suprised I have channel because we use to make videos together but none of them went on YouTube or any other social media platforms. I have almost 4K subscribers now and I have some people contact me who never was my friend and they bullied me when we were in school and they tried to talk to me but I didn’t answer them.

FloFloBear

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Don't think you really understood me :( I don't expect anything from all my friends... But the close people whom I talk to almost every day, consider them good friends... I guess it makes me a bit sad because whenever they try something or create something I get out of my way to be supportive. And it's not as if I pushed them to watch, they found it and messaged me to say how great it is, without even watching it, which is saying things without meaning, which is not what good friends should do, definitely not what I do...

Last edited:
Reactions: Wahduhhec

unevenflaps

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Don't think you really understood me :( I don't expect anything from all my friends... But these are actually just 4 people, not that many, whom I talk to almost every day. So I consider them good friends... I guess it bothers me because whenever they try something or create something I get out of my way to be supportive. And it's not as if I pushed them to watch. It really bothers me that one of them instantly found it and messaged me to say how great it is, without even watching it... they are just saying things without meaning, which is not what good friends should do, definitely not what I do...
It's not that i misunderstood, i offered potential reasons based on what you said since you didn't mention that you also consider the people who didn't watch the videos "close friends". The point of my reply is that there could be many reasons that they didn't watch that are innocent and not malicious. I make every effort to support what my close friends are doing and if it genuinely bothers you just ask "hey man i don't want you to feel on the spot or anything but i noticed that you didn't watch the video, if anything put you off or whatever it's cool it's just that i work on them and like getting feedback if you don't like them" or something along those lines. To reiterate my previous point if you haven't asked them about it it's best not to assume that they have bad intentions and just ask them.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
It's kind of like when a friend or family member comes back from holiday and wants to show all his/her holiday photos and videos. I think most people are genuinely happy that their friend / family member had a good holiday, but that doesn't mean we want to look at all their photos and videos. ^^

FloFloBear

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's kind of like when a friend or family member comes back from holiday and wants to show all his/her holiday photos and videos. I think most people are genuinely happy that their friend / family member had a good holiday, but that doesn't mean we want to look at all their photos and videos. ^^
I see what you mean and I guess it makes sense :)
I am usually super excited to see my friends' holiday photos and videos though, haha, but maybe that's just me.

It would make me happy if they cared about what I do because I care about them (that makes sense, right?), but maybe I am just overthinking it. I suppose the fact that people from the internet care more is a good thing in the end.

Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I see what you mean and I guess it makes sense :)
I am usually super excited to see my friends' holiday photos and videos though, haha, but maybe that's just me.

It would make me happy if they cared about what I do because I care about them (that makes sense, right?), but maybe I am just overthinking it. I suppose the fact that people from the internet care more is a good thing in the end.

I think they can be interested in your YT hobby without having to watch all your videos. Kind of like if you had a friend who likes fishing. You support them in their hobby and ask them questions and listen to them when chatting about it, but i doubt you'd be interested in going on fishing trips with them. :)

The_Man_XX

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Not really,non of my friends know I do YouTube and I kind of want to keep it a secret for now.