Do networks help you grow?

AJ Bruh

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've started to grow little by little on my channel, but not to the extent that I'd like.
My question is: would joining a network or partnership help me grow my channel?
If so, how would I get one?
I don't care about the money, I just want to reach an audience.
Thanks for any advice you can give!

Reactions: javacentral

TheSlothEmperor

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Many networks say that they will "help you grow" but in fact many don't do anything to follow up. The thing that I have found that helped me grow on Youtube is ironically the hard work I try to put into my videos. Networks are really only good for when it comes to handling strikes on your channel and monetizing your videos but in my opinion that is about it

Jonathan

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Not in the slightest unless you're big. There are networks out there who make their dashboard look like it can help you but it's all pretty basic stuff.

AJ Bruh

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Many networks say that they will "help you grow" but in fact many don't do anything to follow up. The thing that I have found that helped me grow on Youtube is ironically the hard work I try to put into my videos. Networks are really only good for when it comes to handling strikes on your channel and monetizing your videos but in my opinion that is about it
That's disappointing, but I'll have to keep grinding :D

Reactions: TheSlothEmperor

Clam-

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The only way network is going to help smaller channels to grow is if they have community forums where you could share your videos with other network partners who would then watch it and possibly give you some tips & advices. Don't fall for their typical recruitment speech, they really won't do anything for anyone small, sadly. Hell, unless you are very big, you shouldn't expect much either. Sad, but true - YouTube networks are just doing things wrong, wish I had resources and connections to change this, but I don't. :(

AJ Bruh

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The only way network is going to help smaller channels to grow is if they have community forums where you could share your videos with other network partners who would then watch it and possibly give you some tips & advices. Don't fall for their typical recruitment speech, they really won't do anything for anyone small, sadly. Hell, unless you are very big, you shouldn't expect much either. Sad, but true - YouTube networks are just doing things wrong, wish I had resources and connections to change this, but I don't. :(
Well this sucks. I hoped for the opposite but thanks for the response! Good luck with your channel in the future, it seems to be doing very well :D

Shane

YouTube Network Addict
Reaction score
Sad, but true - YouTube networks are just doing things wrong, wish I had resources and connections to change this, but I don't. :(
Out of interest, what do you think networks could do better that they are not already doing?

Clam-

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Out of interest, what do you think networks could do better that they are not already doing?
Most important thing would be to help YouTubers with channel optimization. Since it's very difficult for bigger networks or networks that are growing rapidly to communicate with all partners, having some sort of "Channel optimization guide" would come in very handy. For example, such guide should have a checklist of stuff one is expected to do on the channel:
- Do you have thumbnails? Yes/No; if the answer is "No", explain why thumbnails should be done and include some examples from other channels so partner gets an idea what he should do
- Is your title descriptive, but not too long? Yes/No; if "No", give partner a good understanding how important title is and what the optimal (or rather maximum) length would be
... and so on - stuff like this could be shared with partners via email once they join the network and allow them to follow up on it with an employee/contractor/volunteer who would be able to spend 10 minutes on the channel and possibly go more in depth, but this is not even required as it might be too much work if network is big

Another useful thing would be FAQ, people need to understand that turning on long non-skippable ads for their 30 subscribers and 50 views is not going to make them rich and is probably going to turn potential viewers/subscribers down. Help them finding social medias to advertise on - not even finding exact place where they can post their videos, but just giving them some directions, such as Facebook Groups or reddit (and share a link with them to redditmetrics or similar website where they could sort subreddits by size and find smaller/mid-sized ones perfect for their content).

On top of that, community forums: they need to be maintained and properly moderated with clear set of rules, they can't turn into spam fest for selected few who only visit to post their videos there and never contribute in any other way, have a set limit of videos they can advertise each week or month or something similar in place.

All middle-sized and bigger channels need a dedicated partner manager who is not going to neglect channels he's supervising, but actually be invested in channel optimization and content they produce, give them tips and advices and more importantly, teach them to think for themselves so his assistance is not needed as frequently - I'm aware this is usually not doable for all networks due to their size, but if they're already huge, they should have the money to hire additional help, even if it's just part-time contractors or other people from network who would like to help.

Have a good communication with partners, explain to them what's going on behind the scenes, have a roadmap of what's to come for each year with a fat big disclaimer that things may get delayed, but at least give them an idea what's being worked on and if deadline is not set, apologize for delay and have a giveaway instead, keep them occupied with good thoughts and other stuff network has to offer! Give them bonus % of revenue for contributing to networks success, either by recruiting, being active on forums or social media etc, make sure they feel welcome and appreciated, not only they'll keep coming back, but good word will spread quickly!

There are more things I wanted to do in my own network which sadly isn't going to happen by the looks of it, and although only network owners know how much work all that is, everything can be done with proper time management and enough help from other employees / more active community members. It sucks, I had a great network structure all worked out that would be efficient, but apparently it's not as easy to start one as I thought it is, haha. I have experience running multiple teams with 10+ members, so I kind of know well how to assign tasks and stuff, not to mention I used to be active in gaming community and leading clans with 700+ members all alone was never easy, but not losing a single member over the year meant I did a good job communicating with everyone (100-200 private messages a day? Not a problem if you have a system and time for it!).

Most networks nowadays link you to their dashboard, thank you for joining, wish you best of luck and invite you to reach out to them through support, but a lot more could be done with a few useful documents and proper pointers and communication. Series of videos where network features their successful channels, channels that show a lot of potential and newcomers would be great, even if it's just a simple 5-minute review of 10 channels, it'd mean a lot. I know how much it meant to us to be featured in one of the videos, even though it didn't have big viewership. At the end of the day, having done all that and making sure people understand they need to grow their own channels and not expect network to bring in hundreds of thousands of views and you're making sure nobody leaves the network unhappy or writes negative reviews. :)

Reactions: Shane

NannerAirCraft

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Unfortunately networks don't really help you grow. There are rare cases when maybe they feature you in a spotlight video of maybe tweet out your channel but it's rare. These networks have thousands of partners and it simply isn't possible for them to promote them all. The networks give you the tools to help you grow your channel yourself.

clerick

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
The only reason i'm with an network is so that i have content id scanning immunity and not have to deal with youtubes copyright annoyances/missscans on upload (or having to fill out automated forms about content i created and waiting for approval, despite having completely original animations i had to deal with that crap for a long time before i got into an mcn). If i could have that same managed ability without an mcn i'd drop it on a dime. I feel that big channels with say 500k subs or more should have the managed ability and with a youtube team patrolling to check for content abuse (since channels that big generate a lot of money and loosing that kind of channel would really hurt).

Reactions: Shane