Changing channel direction, should I start from scratch?

idrajit

Reaction score
I have been posting content to my youtube channel for around 2 years, and am about to make a whole lot more videos more consistently. However, I was wondering if it is better that I start a new channel instead of use my current one. My main reason:

I am looking to make more family friendly/less bad word-inclusive videos. My current channel mostly has nothing too bad on it, but some videos contain bad words and some edgy topics (commenting on youtubers who are near naked, occasionally using words like 'boob' in the titles [sarcastically], etc.) Does the algorithm permanently associate my channel with this or if I post this new content to my current channel long enough will youtube disassociate me from that type of content?

Obviously I don't want to start a new channel. I have 1.7k subscribers and around 400K total views, I passed the requirements to be monetized (although I've made like 2 dollars total) and have a lot of memories with my channel, but i also want my efforts to be as efficient as possible and not go to waste because of the previous things I have posted. (e.g. I want my channel to be monetization-friendly and not be on the back leg with the algorithms, etc.)

I am looking to be way more careful with the things I say and the topics I talk about, and I'm wondering if having all that previous content on there just nullifies my efforts. What's my best strategy?

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I’m not sure if it would help, but what if you delete the inappropriate videos and still keep that channel by uploading new videos on it. You can always try uploading new content on your current channel and if it doesn’t work out them start a new channel.:)

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Just heads up, deleting videos will drop your view count. I think you can (sorta) edit the videos using the Youtube Creator Studio edit feature. That tool isn't good, but it can let you cut parts out of a video. In theory you could snip out all the bad parts and keep you view count. I suggest trying that out on a test video first.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just heads up, deleting videos will drop your view count. I think you can (sorta) edit the videos using the Youtube Creator Studio edit feature. That tool isn't good, but it can let you cut parts out of a video. In theory you could snip out all the bad parts and keep you view count. I suggest trying that out on a test video first.
Not if you private them the views still remains, but you can’t see it unless you go in video manager

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Not if you private them the views still remains, but you can’t see it unless you go in video manager
I maybe wrong, but I'm pretty sure the views the creator see are different from the views that the rest of the world see. So while you (who has access to those private videos) see 1000 views, the rest of the world that doesn't would only see 500 let's say.

In the past youtuber would try to cheat the system by privatizing a dozen of their views a few months before going for a contract and then making them public, that way stat sites would see it as if they suddenly increased in views.

I guess Youtube could have patched this since then, since I haven't tested this lately.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I maybe wrong, but I'm pretty sure the views the creator see are different from the views that the rest of the world see. So while you (who has access to those private videos) see 1000 views, the rest of the world that doesn't would only see 500 let's say.

In the past youtuber would try to cheat the system by privatizing a dozen of their views a few months before going for a contract and then making them public, that way stat sites would see it as if they suddenly increased in views.

I guess Youtube could have patched this since then, since I haven't tested this lately.
That’s I was saying other people wouldn’t be able to see those views but you, but I don’t see why that would matter. I never heard of people doing that before, but if you private a video and then publish it the views still stay the same. The video just doesn’t show up as a new video so I don’t think viewers would get notified if you publish it again.

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
That’s I was saying other people wouldn’t be able to see those views but you, but I don’t see why that would matter. I never heard of people doing that before, but if you private a video and then publish it the views still stay the same. The video just doesn’t show up as a new video so I don’t think viewers would get notified if you publish it again.
I guess I mentioned losing view because, he might not want to lose the public stats. I just want him to have all the info before making his choice.

Also - that trick I mentioned before, wouldn't re-notify viewers.
But, there was a bug back in 2012/2013 where republishing a video would push it to all your subscribers again but that's been patched.

lol don't mean to be annoying, just I don't really know what else to post on, on these forums...

Reactions: Courtney Candice

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I guess I mentioned losing view because, he might not want to lose the public stats. I just want him to have all the info before making his choice.

Also - that trick I mentioned before, wouldn't re-notify viewers.
But, there was a bug back in 2012/2013 where republishing a video would push it to all your subscribers again but that's been patched.

lol don't mean to be annoying, just I don't really know what else to post on, on these forums...
I didn’t start doing YouTube until the end of 2015 so I don’t really know about what happened with youtube before that, I didn’t really watch to YouTube then either I only watched couple of YouTubers then.

Reactions: Nicekid76