Can i get started as a new YouTuber with only a cellphone?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I really do not have the money to buy a laptop or computer to help me create and edit videos. So can you guys help me what do i need to do to still do Youtube with only my cellphone (Asus Zenfone 5) i have a passion for doing it but don't have the necessary tools to make quality video and audio content.

TheGamersFormula

Check out my channel!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I really do not have the money to buy a laptop or computer to help me create and edit videos. So can you guys help me what do i need to do to still do Youtube with only my cellphone (Asus Zenfone 5) i have a passion for doing it but don't have the necessary tools to make quality video and audio content.
you can do vlogs and stuff like that but its gonna be hard to grow with only limited tech

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
What I would suggest is starting a team with your YouTube channel. Team up with someone who has a laptop or a camera or anything of the like. Edit videos with them at their house. I hate to be blunt, but it's going to be next to impossible to grow on YouTube with only a cellphone. It's hard for me to grow with this old laptop I use. With a cellphone, you don't have control over anything. You might be able to find some really cheap apps to edit audio, but you'll have to go through so many tedious things to compete with people on a computer. You gotta find a way to make some money, man. With a phone, if you plan on getting revenue, you could try making Vines or posting Twitter videos. If you don't plan on monetizing and don't have a team.. Best bet is to get a job and save up for everything you need.

Wonderlander

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Take what you have and make art with it !

Meanwhile you can save up money for stuff like better camera/laptop but you have to put everything you got and stay consistent.

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Take what you have and make art with it !

Meanwhile you can save up money for stuff like better camera/laptop but you have to put everything you got and stay consistent.
This person has the right idea. Make us of what you have, but you definitely need to work on getting better equipment. I have a friend who actually does speed draws on her phone, and she makes some really cool stuff. The video format, not gonna lie, is a little ehh.. Phones can't really encode in HD too well, and you have to do extra work to get rid of the ugly black bars in your video. I don't even know if you can change aspect ratio on a phone. o.o

Kevin Muldoon

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Your smartphone will do ok video. As long as you have good lighting the video quality will be ok.

What will not be ok will be audio so I would look at getting a shotgun microphone with a 3.5mm connection or getting an audio recorder you can use with it.

Yes, you should buy better equipment when you get the money, but don't let that stop you from getting started just now.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I use the LGG4 for my content
it is very nice to know that there is someone that uses their phone for their content, thank you :) you give me motivation
Your smartphone will do ok video. As long as you have good lighting the video quality will be ok.

What will not be ok will be audio so I would look at getting a shotgun microphone with a 3.5mm connection or getting an audio recorder you can use with it.

Yes, you should buy better equipment when you get the money, but don't let that stop you from getting started just now.
i would invest on some audio recorder once i finally have the money to do so :)

Reactions: Kevin Muldoon

Keyser Reveal

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Your smart phone will do better than alright..it will do better than a DSLR in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use it. I'm really not trying to promote my link but if you go to my channel and look at the video that says "budget video" You'll see just how well a smart phone does. Good luck to you.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Your smart phone will do better than alright..it will do better than a DSLR in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use it. I'm really not trying to promote my link but if you go to my channel and look at the video that says "budget video" You'll see just how well a smart phone does. Good luck to you.
Okay i would like to watch that and learn from it to make do of the things i do have now :)

Reactions: Keyser Reveal