Can a YT channel interfere with future plans?

Spaceshipcontrol

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello,

I have this question on my mind: Let's suppose I wanted to become involved in politics, becoming a politician or political thinker, or start a company, could my YT channel interfere with how seriously people will take me? Now, my channel is really small, but someone might just stumble upon it, recognize me and share it with others, especially if it grows. I see my channel as more of a temporary project that I will not commit my entire life to and I want to move on at some point and leave it behind me as an art project where I created comedy, and I want to make sure it really was just a little project of mine. If I was a politician, would people dig out videos where I did embarassing stuff in the name of comedy, and take me less seriously because of it? Could it negatively affect my public image in a distant future, say, 10-15 years and beyond?
I know that Donald Trump did a lot of embarassing stuff and even outright said some condescending stuff about Republican voters, but still he is being taken relatively serious.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance! :)

Sin B

2017 blows
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Of course, what's on the internet stays on the internet and if people want to dig into your history and need to know everything about you it'll influence their opinions for better or worse.

Spaceshipcontrol

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So is this already a problem? Can I just delete my videos and close my channel after a while? For me it is just a hobby. I can finish that off and then move on, y'know. Of course you can dig deep and still find something, but it would take considerable effort which many people would not bother to put into something that may not be guaranteed to be successful.

ToxicWulf

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you never reveal your real name or your face then you shouldn't really have anything used against you in the future. I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.

Sin B

2017 blows
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Probably not a problem, unless you're big I don't think there's a lot of people downloading and reuploading your videos, but who knows. Once videos get reposted a few times things tend to stick around for a long time.

As far as your timeline of 10-15 years goes it is hard to say if YT will even be a prominent thing at that time or if something else will take its place so you're more likely to be safe at this point than anything.

Spaceshipcontrol

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I kinda revealed my face. I am not sure if you could identify me if you met me on the street based on the vague picture of my face, it is bad video quality and my face is usually partially concealed.

Yoursharkfriend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer
Of course, what's on the internet stays on the internet and if people want to dig into your history and need to know everything about you it'll influence their opinions for better or worse.
I agree with this. it will definitely affect you whether or not in a good way or bad way is totally up to 1. the position your obtaining, 2. the people looking at your content and 3. what your content is in general

Spaceshipcontrol

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well, my channel is really small, I don't think anyone downloaded my videos.

My content is dark comedy.

Not sure if my face is sufficiently concealed. I often wear Groucho-glasses, but used to not do so. I also wear a hoodie which darkens my face and also conceals it a bit.

Nathan Williams

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello,

I have this question on my mind: Let's suppose I wanted to become involved in politics, becoming a politician or political thinker, or start a company, could my YT channel interfere with how seriously people will take me? Now, my channel is really small, but someone might just stumble upon it, recognize me and share it with others, especially if it grows. I see my channel as more of a temporary project that I will not commit my entire life to and I want to move on at some point and leave it behind me as an art project where I created comedy, and I want to make sure it really was just a little project of mine. If I was a politician, would people dig out videos where I did embarassing stuff in the name of comedy, and take me less seriously because of it? Could it negatively affect my public image in a distant future, say, 10-15 years and beyond?
I know that Donald Trump did a lot of embarassing stuff and even outright said some condescending stuff about Republican voters, but still he is being taken relatively serious.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance! :)
You don't have to delete your videos but you could always put them as private so no one will see them. If people find your videos they will judge you by the content you made.

Spaceshipcontrol

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well, I have them saved as backups on my computers. Might as well delete them, it's safer.