Camera FPS Vs Rendering

S.A.D

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ok this one is a little bit hard to explain, but i will try my best.
Say i record at 1080p 25fps and i then render the video to 1080p 60fps. Would there then be a difference if i record at 1080p 60fps? ie performance/ quality.
I apologize if this question is tricky to understand. but i am looking into getting a new camera and I would like to know if such things would be a problem.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Yes there is a difference. If you record at 25fps, that is what you got. If you render at a higher frame rate, in most cases all the program will do is just add copies of each frame to make up the extra frames. The program cannot create the missing frames out of thin air. You will end up with a larger file size, but the video quality will be the same. When you record at 60fps, you are getting 60 unique frames per second. The only difference you will see between 25fps and 60fps is during motion shots. 60fps will give you smoother motion.

Just FYI. There is a lot of problems with youtube videos that are recorded at 60fps. You can upload it, but not everyone will be able to watch it. Also, if you upload at 60fps, youtube does not offer a 30fps option for viewers to switch to if they have problems watching the 60fps version.

Personally, I capture in 60fps and render in 30fps for upload to youtube. This gives me the highest quality 30fps video to upload, before youtube's compression tries to destroy it.

Reactions: S.A.D

S.A.D

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes there is a difference. If you record at 25fps, that is what you got. If you render at a higher frame rate, in most cases all the program will do is just add copies of each frame to make up the extra frames. The program cannot create the missing frames out of thin air. You will end up with a larger file size, but the video quality will be the same. When you record at 60fps, you are getting 60 unique frames per second. The only difference you will see between 25fps and 60fps is during motion shots. 60fps will give you smoother motion.

Just FYI. There is a lot of problems with youtube videos that are recorded at 60fps. You can upload it, but not everyone will be able to watch it. Also, if you upload at 60fps, youtube does not offer a 30fps option for viewers to switch to if they have problems watching the 60fps version.

Personally, I capture in 60fps and render in 30fps for upload to youtube. This gives me the highest quality 30fps video to upload, before youtube's compression tries to destroy it.
ok thanks for the information. I had a feeling this was the case, but i find it hard to get the information.

Olroy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer

Actually depends on your editing software, Premiere Pro is able to generate the extra frames by analyzing the frames and then calculating pixel movement. Really amazing piece of software, also very useful for creating super slow-mo effects

Reactions: S.A.D

S.A.D

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Actually depends on your editing software, Premiere Pro is able to generate the extra frames by analyzing the frames and then calculating pixel movement. Really amazing piece of software, also very useful for creating super slow-mo effects
Thanks for that. I use sony vagas pro. Does that do the same thing would u know?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
PREMIER is definitely a powerful piece of software for true video editing. That's good information to know. Thanks.

Olroy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Sony Vegas doesn't have that capability, you have to purchase this plugin revisionfx.com/products/twixtor/ but I don't know how it compares to Premiere Pro's Optical Flow

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I use sony vagas pro. Does that do the same thing would u know?
Vegas Pro is very powerful but I don't know about how it upscales to a higher frame rate. You could do a test to see. Render a 30fps video to 120fps and slow it down by X5 and watch it. Slow the original 30fps video down by X5 and watch it and see if the 120fps video is better. It's all theory until you see the final product. The final product is all that matters.[DOUBLEPOST=1484681705,1484681251][/DOUBLEPOST]
Sony Vegas doesn't have that capability, you have to purchase this plugin revisionfx.com/products/twixtor/ but I don't know how it compares to Premiere Pro's Optical Flow
The amount of calculations needed to do what you say Primier can do would be massive. I bet it takes a high end gaming system with great specs to even try this or run the software.

Olroy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Vegas Pro is very powerful but I don't know about how it upscales to a higher frame rate. You could do a test to see. Render a 30fps video to 120fps and slow it down by X5 and watch it. Slow the original 30fps video down by X5 and watch it and see if the 120fps video is better. It's all theory until you see the final product. The final product is all that matters.[DOUBLEPOST=1484681705,1484681251][/DOUBLEPOST]

The amount of calculations needed to do what you say Primier can do would be massive. I bet it takes a high end gaming system with great specs to even try this or run the software.
Well as long as you have an i7 I mean, it's not that difficult to run the calculations. Even a newer version of an i5 could do it, it would just take slightly longer. Overclocking is also always an option