Building an effective Schedule

FanoBelmont

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hello guys. I want to hear you opinion on this topic and see if anyone has any particular tips or strategies that have worked for you. I focus on gaming videos, but I don't think this should be limited to gaming.
As I am starting to create content, I get more and more excited with the possibilities of the content I can make. This has led me to be playing and recording more than 1 game at a time. I know the golden rule of youtube is consistency, so I want my audience to be able to get what they expect.

I am right now playing Halo 5, campaign and multiplayer; and Soma, a horror game. By the end of the week I will include Call of Duty: Black Ops III, both campaign and multiplayer. So I find myself juggling a few different series. I am realizing that although my updates come consistently (1 video a day), they are a bit erratic, what I upload depends on what I just happened to play and it is subject to my mood. And with Fallout 4 coming out soon this might get out of hand.

Does anyone have any tips on how to build a good schedule that will help viewers (and myself) stay focused and consistent? Or should I just focus on a couple of games at a time and hold on on adding new games until I finish playing the others? What do you think?

Kate's Adventures

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Have you considered setting up a second channel and cutting down the uploads on your main channel? I'm not overly familiar with the gaming community myself but you could maybe do one video of each title on your main channel and then if people want to see more, you could upload similar videos of you playing the same game on your second channel as "bonus videos".
If it were me I'd consider making tips videos or something that would help people who've maybe got stuck at a particular point in the game. As I said though the gaming community isn't something I know a lot about so if this post reads as a whole load of rubbish feel free to disregard!
Other than that my advice would be to make use of the scheduling option when uploading, I try to have a couple of videos queued up so there's always something ready to go on the day I put up a new video. It helps to keep me organised and by looking at the Video Manager I can see what's going up when and try to keep a balance between different interests.

Michael Cimicata

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
The key to following a consistent schedule is scheduling videos ahead of time! If you have your videos scheduled 2 weeks ahead of time, you have some leeway when it comes to missing an upload or two (you can always make up for it the next day)! My videos are scheduled 4 months in advance lol but that's just because Im a bit crazy when it comes to being on time!

FanoBelmont

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thank you Kate. This is helpful. I am concerned about something you mention, I am afraid that if I separate my content, even though I am focusing on specific audiences, it will spread my reach to thin. I feel gamers just like games, perhaps thats an oversimplification of y audience. But since I am having trouble growing my channel, I am concerned with breaking up views and subs in different places.

RichGuitarGamer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm glad you wrote this article as like you I have just started making videos on a consistant basis,

You can always have your current gaming episode - alongside a new game your currently recording for. I Wouldn't recommend stating what days you will be uploading on (as sometimes life will stop you uploading on certain days) I Believe 2-3 videos a week is enough to keep your audience satisfied.

Put all your gaming videos on one channel. - You can always add a Q&A there which your audience will love. And always let them know towards the end (or the beginning) what to expect in your next video.

You thinking along these lines is advantageous - so I expect to see your channel grow :D

Reactions: FanoBelmont

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm terrible at scheduling partially due to a slightly spontaneous roster I have at work and a spontaneous urge to game & do nothing else. But I can highly advise against overwhelming yourself with games.
New Thank you Kate. This is helpful. I am concerned about something you mention, I am afraid that if I separate my content, even though I am focusing on specific audiences, it will spread my reach to thin. I feel gamers just like games, perhaps thats an oversimplification of y audience. But since I am having trouble growing my channel, I am concerned with breaking up views and subs in different places.
You definitely do not want to split your content onto separate channels especially since it's all under the gaming category, even people who do vlogs are starting to keep things under the same channel, like CinamonToastKen who I don't overly watch but check up on once in a while, his vlog channel has been dead a good few months and he just does them on his main channel now.

Reactions: RichGuitarGamer

FanoBelmont

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm glad you wrote this article as like you I have just started making videos on a consistant basis,

You can always have your current gaming episode - alongside a new game your currently recording for. I Wouldn't recommend stating what days you will be uploading on (as sometimes life will stop you uploading on certain days) I Believe 2-3 videos a week is enough to keep your audience satisfied.

Put all your gaming videos on one channel. - You can always add a Q&A there which your audience will love. And always let them know towards the end (or the beginning) what to expect in your next video.

You thinking along these lines is advantageous - so I expect to see your channel grow :D
Thanks. That is definitely something to consider. I am able to put out a video a day right now, but sometimes I barely manage it and it cuts down on time to work on other projects. I am thinking of working on a more production-heavy show (still for youtube) but that will take more time away from daily let's plays.