Being discovered by new audience

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Make the content you are best at and have your heart in. Then go and do what everyone else is doing. Post it on these forums, on your social media and see where it all ends up. Just don't make the mistake of spamming your content where it does not belong. Do that and it's a one way trip to purgatory.

Reactions: Johnny Kag

FearTheReaper

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi fellow youtubers!

Nowadays it is way more difficult to be discovered by new people than it used to be, and if somebody ends up watching your videos, the chances of him subscribing are very small.

A few years ago, youtubers were still in the making, they were fewer, and thus they would be discovered by new people more easily, and at the same time, they were all still learning from their own mistakes and evolving.

Today, youtube content is at such a high level, that new youtubers have to compete with people that have been doing it and learning for years, have a much greater budget for equipment, and probably can create better and more content faster (most of them have editors etc).

So I, personally, have started working more on my videos. I am creating them with my sister, but all she does is appear in the video. I have to be, apart from the guy in front of the camera, the guy who scripts the video, the graphic designer, the video editor and the branding expert. It is not easy.

The question is, how do you get more people to watch your video when you start from the bottom?
Any ideas?
Success doesn't happen overnight. Some of the biggest and most successful YouTubers have been doing it for years. You have to keep doing your best and over time your numbers will grow. Both in terms of subscribers and views. You may get a little discouraged along the way, but don't give up. If you really want to make things work on YouTube you HAVE to keep going. Once you stop all your progression and efforts will have gone to waste. Keep putting out great content and you'll eventually gather a crowd and more traffic will be flowing through your channel. Best of luck!

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
2 main things, content quality, and discoverability.

since you want discoverability here's what you need to work at:
-make sure your tags are good, relevant things people search for (tubebuddy and other free browser extentions can give you the tools to test your tags and see what others use)

- make sure the first couple of lines of your description are also good, they show up in search with your thumbnail so make those two lines enticing to make people want to click on your video.

-keep your titles bold and interesting.

- thumbnails are very important. I've noticed a few channels recommended to me alongside related videos have their view number hidden and all I have to go on is a title and thumbnail. Make yours stand out and look professional! If No one can differentiate yours and big youtubers thumbnails, then they may be just as likely to assume you are a big channel yourself. (I dont mean copy them, but make them look original and fitting to your content)

and lastly don't forget about the actual content. Once you get a viewer there with your snazzy thumbnails and tags, you want to keep them there, so many sure to always be working on improving your content over time, keep an eye out for any improvements you can make, and if anyone subscribes or comments please respond to them, let them know how you appreciate the support!

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
a lot of things that are good and useful have already been said. If someone big discovers you and mentions you, then you still have to earn that. The simplest advice I can give is make videos that 1- no one can make or has made. if the same topic is done try to make it the best one possible. 2- to grow, you video must be enjoyable enough for someone to sit through it, and then good enough to pass onto their friends. if you can do that you will grow. how you do that is up to you. if you can't...

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Hi fellow youtubers!

Nowadays it is way more difficult to be discovered by new people than it used to be, and if somebody ends up watching your videos, the chances of him subscribing are very small.

A few years ago, youtubers were still in the making, they were fewer, and thus they would be discovered by new people more easily, and at the same time, they were all still learning from their own mistakes and evolving.

Today, youtube content is at such a high level, that new youtubers have to compete with people that have been doing it and learning for years, have a much greater budget for equipment, and probably can create better and more content faster (most of them have editors etc).

So I, personally, have started working more on my videos. I am creating them with my sister, but all she does is appear in the video. I have to be, apart from the guy in front of the camera, the guy who scripts the video, the graphic designer, the video editor and the branding expert. It is not easy.

The question is, how do you get more people to watch your video when you start from the bottom?
Any ideas?

Hi and welcome to YTtalk.

I've moved your thread to the strategy / technique forum. :)

You've had some great replies so far.

This question gets asked (and answered) a lot so I would also suggest you also browse the other threads in this section and also make use of the search feature.

Good luck :)

Eaglewolf Magic

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
a lot of things that are good and useful have already been said. If someone big discovers you and mentions you, then you still have to earn that. The simplest advice I can give is make videos that 1- no one can make or has made. if the same topic is done try to make it the best one possible. 2- to grow, you video must be enjoyable enough for someone to sit through it, and then good enough to pass onto their friends. if you can do that you will grow. how you do that is up to you. if you can't...
amen to that

Johnny Kag

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Agree!
Best of luck to you mate!

2 main things, content quality, and discoverability.

since you want discoverability here's what you need to work at:
-make sure your tags are good, relevant things people search for (tubebuddy and other free browser extentions can give you the tools to test your tags and see what others use)

- make sure the first couple of lines of your description are also good, they show up in search with your thumbnail so make those two lines enticing to make people want to click on your video.

-keep your titles bold and interesting.

- thumbnails are very important. I've noticed a few channels recommended to me alongside related videos have their view number hidden and all I have to go on is a title and thumbnail. Make yours stand out and look professional! If No one can differentiate yours and big youtubers thumbnails, then they may be just as likely to assume you are a big channel yourself. (I dont mean copy them, but make them look original and fitting to your content)

and lastly don't forget about the actual content. Once you get a viewer there with your snazzy thumbnails and tags, you want to keep them there, so many sure to always be working on improving your content over time, keep an eye out for any improvements you can make, and if anyone subscribes or comments please respond to them, let them know how you appreciate the support!
Totally agree, great advice, thank you very much for you reply! Graphics is one of the things I spend much time on! I believe that if my channel looks and feels like a big one, it will eventually become one!

Keep up the good content, best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lightsen

Johnny Kag

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi and welcome to YTtalk.

I've moved your thread to the strategy / technique forum. :)

You've had some great replies so far.

This question gets asked (and answered) a lot so I would also suggest you also browse the other threads in this section and also make use of the search feature.

Good luck :)
Thank you very much, I 've seen the other ones, but I still created a new thread to be able to share some of my personal thoughts on the matter :)

(Question: I 've gone through the settings but I can't figure how to change my screen name, could you please help me?)

Anjim

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Honestly, It comes down to consistency and patience. Every sub is a person and even though we start small we grow together. Collabs bring new audiences, promoting through social media gets your channel out there. To be open about your channel with people in real life can open up a world of opportunities. Everybody has a different process. Patience, persistence and passion. Yeah some youtubers like nigahiga, fouseytube, pewdiepie, jennmarbles, BFVSGF. Have all been around for years, but we are the new wave. That is our advantage. :)
I agree

getrektson

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't know the secret myself as I've just started recently, but enjoy what you do and always post a video better than your previous one. Eventually, One Day, you'll look back on your first few videos and be satisfied you came a long way. Wait.. I think i'm off topic. Help the community and your community will return the favor in kind one day :) Good Luck~