Are shout-outs necessary to grow a Youtube Channel?

They aren't necessary but can be very helpful, just wonder how many attention you would get if for example nigahiga, pewdie mention your channel.
Well of course, if big channels like nigahiga and pewdiepie or markiplier mentioned my channel there will be a big boost...but I think if I were to look for them to give a shout out for my channel, I will be the millionth person to ask....I'm just wondering how do the big channels get so big so fast?
Is it because they got shout outs from older and bigger channels last time?

Just in general I feel like its wrong to go to other channels just to ask for subbs/shout outs/other stuff like that....Someone more experienced should answer on how did pewdie and others got that big "so fast"

Wasabi Guys!! I've been wondering for quite some time now, is it necessary to get a shout-out from bigger youtubers in order for your channel to grow?
Not being greedy or anything, but I just wanna know. This question has been tickling my brain for weeks lol~~
Anyway, I appreciate any comments or replies
Peace people ^^

they could help your channel grow a bit more

I think just by being friends with a big Youtuber or dating a big Youtuber and being in there videos and something collab with them will help grow your channel way way way more then shouting you out in one there videos!!

Last edited:
Getaway video is a kind of viral video which continues to be viral for many months or years. This is usually what drives a lot of traffic and many new subscribers to a channel.
To find them simply go to a popular channel in your niche and check the top one or several videos (in term of views). Usually these are the gateway videos. You should analyze them very carefully (including titles, thumbnails and the description) - the viral element is usually hidden somewhere there. Better crossrefer with other gateway videos from other channels in the same niche - it will be easier to find the viral/gateway element.
Good luck! :)
Thank you so much for this explanation! Every since we started and read some post on this forum I was always unclear what people meant by gateway vidoes. Your explanation is very clear and now I finally understands what it means!

Thank you so much for this explanation! Every since we started and read some post on this forum I was always unclear what people meant by gateway vidoes. Your explanation is very clear and now I finally understands what it means!

Thank you! There is a good tutorial on this forum how to grow your channel written by @uberdanger. He was the first to underline the importance of gateway (evergreen) videos.
He also promised to write a tutorial on how to make gateway videos but he never did it (as far as I know).

Shoutouts only help to a certain point. I think JackSepticEye went from 2k to about 15k in one day after a shoutout. Without one of course nowadays it will take way longer. However once you reach about 10k I think the channel will start to grow by itself.

Thank you! There is a good tutorial on this forum how to grow your channel written by @uberdanger. He was the first to underline the importance of gateway (evergreen) videos.
He also promised to write a tutorial on how to make gateway videos but he never did it (as far as I know).
I read that guide a while back and it was very good! I'm looking forward to reading his updated one on gateway when or if he will come back and post it! However your explanation made me understand that term so much more clearly than anyone that tried to explained it for me!!! :)

I read that guide a while back and it was very good! I'm looking forward to reading his updated one on gateway when or if he will come back and post it! However your explanation made me understand that term so much more clearly than anyone that tried to explained it for me!!! :)

Than I am really glad I could help! :)

Eh. Tons of YouTubers got big without shoutouts so you don't need them. Plus I have friends who got shout outs from big names and it didn't help them too much. They gained a bunch of subscribers but not that many views and then a few weeks later they lost a lot of the subs.

Back