Advice For Vlogging Confidence?

Festive

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi there. I really enjoy watching vlogs on YouTube and feel like it'd be fun to do it myself and to just have a place where I feel like I could share pieces of my life with other people, but I have a few things I'm just uncomfortable with. I've been bullied in the past and really don't feel good about myself and I just feel a certain way about recording myself and letting everyone else see, I want to vlog and be able to start discussions but basically what I'm saying is I'm ugly and I know I shouldn't care what people watching think about that but I don't know how not to. Any advice?

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I've been bullied before and it's given me low self esteem issues for a long time. So I understand that feeling. But don't be negative about yourself anymore. =] Content creators (at least the good ones) are all about positivity.

But first things first I've made a short list that may help with vlogging.

1. Don't care what other people think. Just be yourself and be happy with what you're doing.
2. Practice on camera and only keep the takes you like. You're not Live-Streaming after all. Or are you?
3. Pick a Topic or location that you enjoy talking about or visiting.

And that's all I got at the moment. I mainly watch vloggers but haven't had the time myself to really do a lot of Vlog-like videos on my end. But overall just have fun and don't worry about what other people think. If I worried constantly I would have probably never gotten in front of the camera. But if I never did I would have probably never met some of the most amazing people in my life. So don't let those people or those thoughts stop your passion, your dreams and most importantly who you are as a person. =] Have fun!

Brito21

I've Got It
Reaction score
just be yourself and dont give a f**k about what other people think! keep grinding!

Reactions: Festive

Festive

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've been bullied before and it's given me low self esteem issues for a long time. So I understand that feeling. But don't be negative about yourself anymore. =] Content creators (at least the good ones) are all about positivity.

1. Don't care what other people think. Just be yourself and be happy with what you're doing.
2. Practice on camera and only keep the takes you like. You're not Live-Streaming after all. Or are you?

And that's all I got at the moment. I mainly watch vloggers but haven't had the time myself to really do a lot of Vlog-like videos on my end. But overall just have fun and don't worry about what other people think. If I worried constantly I would have probably never gotten in front of the camera. But if I never did I would have probably never met some of the most amazing people in my life. So don't let those people or those thoughts stop your passion, your dreams and most importantly who you are as a person. =] Have fun!
Thanks a bunch for the advice :) nice to here someone I can relate to. I'll try my best when I start the videos to think as positively as possible.

Reactions: Farley Productions

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the strategy / technique advice forum. ^_^

Reactions: Festive

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
basically what I'm saying is I'm ugly
It made me feel a bit sad to read you say that. I think if you are objective enough to take a good look at yourself and acknowledge that you are not as physically beautiful as a few other other people then you can either let that acknowledgement hold you back or propel you forward.

The fact is that many of the most entertaining people on TV and YouTube are far from good looking. Jeremy Clarkson stands out as an example, he is far from male model material, but his "Top Gear" Show became the most widely viewed TV Show on the planet according to the Guiness Book of Records. Casey Neistat is another great example; He could have held back from producing videos because he looks so weird, but instead his videos give great prominence to his face...often thrusting it in front of the camera... and he produces some incredibly entertaining material.

My advice as a far from attractive (or youthful) creator with a growing channel is that you should not worry at all about your looks and focus instead on creating good content for your channel. Most people who watch won't care what you look like if they enjoy the content, it is a far bigger issue to you than it will be to any of your viewers.

Festive

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've moved this to the strategy / technique advice forum. ^_^
Thank you, I'm pretty new to using this forum or forums in general really so sorry if I accidentally posted it somewhere I shouldn't have. My bad but thanks for moving it :)[DOUBLEPOST=1502032259,1502031939][/DOUBLEPOST]
It made me feel a bit sad to read you say that. I think if you are objective enough to take a good look at yourself and acknowledge that you are not as physically beautiful as a few other other people then you can either let that acknowledgement hold you back or propel you forward.

The fact is that many of the most entertaining people on TV and YouTube are far from good looking. Jeremy Clarkson stands out as an example, he is far from male model material, but his "Top Gear" Show became the most widely viewed TV Show on the planet according to the Guiness Book of Records. Casey Neistat is another great example; He could have held back from producing videos because he looks so weird, but instead his videos give great prominence to his face...often thrusting it in front of the camera... and he produces some incredibly entertaining material.

My advice as a far from attractive (or youthful) creator with a growing channel is that you should not worry at all about your looks and focus instead on creating good content for your channel. Most people who watch won't care what you look like if they enjoy the content, it is a far bigger issue to you than it will be to any of your viewers.
Thank you so much :) maybe you're right. You made some good points about youtubers like Casey who may not conventionally be seen as attractive to most people but make entertaining content. I've never really used this forum before but people here are really really supportive, allot more supportive than I kind of estimated and it means allot me. Thanks for the help :D

Mcrocks9

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've been bullied before and it's given me low self-esteem issues for a long time. So I understand that feeling. But don't be negative about yourself anymore. =] Content creators (at least the good ones) are all about positivity.

I was in the same boat. I was picked on from 2nd grade through my Junior year in HS (lived in a small town). But I agree with everything you said. Just be yourself and talk about fun stuff you like.