AdSense - why need a website?

bongodenood

Reaction score
Hey you guys

I'm new here, so sorry if this thread doesn't really belong here...

We're planning on starting a YouTube channel. We already invested in a vlogging camera and shot and edited a video (it's not uploaded yet) and totally love doing it and create content!
It takes a lot of time and effort to shoot and edit, but the result makes us so happy and we really want to share it with the world.

However, we were lucky enough to already have a DSLR, box lights and ring lights, we did invest in a €580 camera and spent about €50 in total on products to test in our video's. Not a very big deal, but we can't keep on doing this unfortunately.
This is why we started thinking about monetising our video's. We want to support the costs that come with making video's, and, if our video's catch on, eventually even quit whatever we're doing to invest all of our time in YouTube.

Unfortunately, I really can't seem to find how to sign up for AdSense. I filled in everything and came to a page where it asks for a website, which we don't have.
Why do we need a website? Someone told me you'll actually generate money by the ads on your website, not your video's. But even if we got a website, we want YouTube to be the platform where you can easily find our video's back, so no-one would even visit our website... Is this really how generating money on YouTube works?
What kind of website do we need to make, though?

The money part really isn't the most important one, however, it would increase the quality of our video, we would be able to buy products to test in our video's (that's kinda what we do), eventually get a second vlogging camera (one for each), ...

Also, are their any tips on how to get recognised and how to attract the right kind of audience?
My friend proposed to comment on video's that attract the same audience and ask those people to check out our account, but I don't really like that idea... I don't wanna make use of other YouTuber's success.
Would paying YouTube to promote a video work?

Also, we're located in Europe, but our video's are in English and we're really hoping to attract people from the U.S./Canada/U.K./... Could our video pop up in the recommended section in these countries, if they weren't uploaded there? And how do we promote our video's there?
The benefit of creating content in English is that we can reach way more people (USA and Europe, rather than one or two European countries that understand your language).

I'm sorry for the long post. Hope someone could help us out, though!

Thank you guys so much in advance!

TripleThreat

Reaction score
If i'm correct, you should have to have 10,000 video views total before you can start getting paid. Make sure you get a social media account as well on instagram and twitter. Those will be very useful for when you start off especially if you wanna contact people.

bongodenood

Reaction score
If i'm correct, you should have to have 10,000 video views total before you can start getting paid. Make sure you get a social media account as well on instagram and twitter. Those will be very useful for when you start off especially if you wanna contact people.
Thank you for your comment!

I read that you'll need 10K views as well, but I assumed you can already apply right now and YouTube will automatically review your channel once you hit the 10K view mark?

We do indeed have a twitter and instagram (one specific for the YouTube channel), but I guess we'll have to gain viewers first before they start to follow us.
I'm not really sure about what we're going to do with the instagram account though. I guess we'll just post whenever there's a new video (coming up) on twitter.

But I still don't understand the website thing AdSense is asking for.

Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Thank you for your comment!

I read that you'll need 10K views as well, but I assumed you can already apply right now and YouTube will automatically review your channel once you hit the 10K view mark?

We do indeed have a twitter and instagram (one specific for the YouTube channel), but I guess we'll have to gain viewers first before they start to follow us.
I'm not really sure about what we're going to do with the instagram account though. I guess we'll just post whenever there's a new video (coming up) on twitter.

But I still don't understand the website thing AdSense is asking for.
If you are going through YouTube to apply for an Adsense account, then your YouTube channel is the website they are asking for. Make sure you are using the YouTube Adsense association interface, and not applying for Adsense by going directly to the Adsense site.

bongodenood

Reaction score
If you are going through YouTube to apply for an Adsense account, then your YouTube channel is the website they are asking for.
Thank you!

This is really how I've done it, and at some point it said my website was *link to my channel* so I copied this and pasted it where it asked for my website, and then the AdSense page just kept on bringing me back to the homescreen.
But I found what's wrong: since this is not my personal YouTube channel, but a channel of me and my friend, we choose 'January 1st, 2000' as our birth date, which means we wouldn't be adults yet. I am an adult (my friend is not), so I changed it to my birth date, and it worked straight away!

So basically I'm at 0/10.000 views right now, and once we reach 10K they'll review our account (I don't know if you start earning money straight away, but that's not necessary yet).

Thank you guys so much for your help!

If there's anyone out there with more tips on how to get recognised and how to reach the desired audience, though, I'd love to hear it!

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Okay. Adsense and Youtube are two different things. You can sign up for adsense now, but you must have a website with enough content to qualify. You do not even need a youtube account to sign up for adsense. If you want to use youtube as your website to sign up for adsense, then your YouTube account must qualify for monetization before you can use it, instead of a website. In order for a youtube account to qualify for monetization, it must over 10,000 views. Hope this helps clear things up.