jnet

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well anyone else get an email from youtube? I have over 2000 subs but only 3600 hrs. So close yet so far! Not fair. This makes me really sad to lose my partnership with them. Anyone else really close but not quite make it? Let's cry together :(

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It would have been much better if the requirements were applied per account, not per channel. I have split my videos into several channels, because they were rather intended for different audiences and as a consequence the gaming channel will suffer, so I will put less effort on it, even if I enjoyed it much and I will put more effort on my main channel.

In short: the big will become bigger and the small smaller. Also, these new updates means no more experimental subsidiary channels will be made and creators will have to focus their efforts on only one channel and no point in creating new channels.

iRob

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am not even close lol but it still really upsets me how youtube is kind of pushing smaller channels away with these new rules I honestly hope they reverse this because it’s not fair IMO.

iRob

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah sadly it’s true I got an email about 2 hours ago.

Lekjih

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In short: the big will become bigger and the small smaller. Also, these new updates means no more experimental subsidiary channels will be made and creators will have to focus their efforts on only one channel and no point in creating new channels.
I disagree, I think people will have to focus on actually being a good enough content creator to get a following, and by the time they have time to start a second channel, will have enough followers to get decent exposure on the second channel off the bat.

Chandler

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
One of my channels is going to be demonatized because of this. I’m glad I didn’t split my content into several channels now. I’ll continue making vids for that channel, but it will have to be on a non consistent basis. YouTube has been causing me a lot of stress and I can’t justify it if I’m not making anything.
This is going to have a lot of unintended consequences too. Think about sub4sub. I never did it before because there was no reason. Now why wouldn’t you do it. If you need 1000 subs of course you should try to get there ASAP.
Another problem they might run into is people finding other ways to make money like patreon. If someone can make money with controversial topics through fans why even try to adhere to YouTube’s guidelines.
I guess we’ll see how this turns out, but I’m sure it won’t eliminate controversy(Pewdie Pie and Logan Paul aren’t effected by this) and it might cause a bunch of problems they didn’t even think of.

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think people will have to focus on actually being a good enough content creator to get a following, and by the time they have time to start a second channel, will have enough followers to get decent exposure on the second channel off the bat.
I focused on being good enough and my main channel is having a good following. Additionally, I created a gaming channel where I play very old retro games and some mobile games (not that popular topic and it doesn't fit with my main channel topics). Now that gaming channel is thrown away, so I either have to re-upload all the content from it if I want to monetize the videos (several months of re-uploading work, not worth the effort) or leave it as it is and wait for the 1000 subscribers/4000 watchtime hours/year threshold that is not going to happen anytime soon.

Also, I have another good reason to keep the channels and videos separate. I have ContentID and I use bulk tools for uploading references from my main channel to the ContentID system. If I merge the channels, I have to manually remove the not suitable for ContentID references videos (video games are not suitable), which is additional work from my side.

Lekjih

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
@Hirudov I'm speaking in general in response to you saying that people won't make experimental side channels. They will, but not all at once when they can't focus on any of them. Your particular situation just sounds difficult all round.

cbpayne

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
This is probably driven by the advertiser.
The inventory of adverts or pool of advertisers willing to pay is not a bottomless pit. Demand is probably massively outstripping supply.
They have to ration even more than before who gets monetised.

(for Adsence for websites, they are currently rejected 90-95% of new applications) -