zaffron

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have predicted this action since last September.

Actually, the number of content creators is increasing more than that of the Advertisers in YouTube platform. So, i think, the more added number of content creators in the YouTube world, the less revenue all the content creators will get, including the big channels. This is because YouTube company will not able to find sufficient number of ads to display in all channels. That's why they recently introduced that they will not show ads for the smaller channels that have not reached 10K views yet.
yttalk.com/threads/youtube-video-editor-will-go-away-on-20-sep-2017.264272/page-3

I can also predict their action within the coming two years. They will end up having "Corporate channels" only.

There will be NO "You" within YouTube brand anymore. It will be Just "Youtube =/= YouTube" and that logo already changed. Moreover, in the near future, Youtube will get rid of some of those bigger channels "Corporate channels" and they will end up having only higher performance channels of high rank. Finally those top channels will be emerged within Youtube company. So it will be self-content-creators company. Wait and you will see.

Last edited:
Reactions: chottom

pioneer1

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
This is very interesting.

Also I read the following on TechCrunch.

For one thing, it’s setting a higher bar for the YouTube Partner Program, which is what allows publishers to make money through advertising. Previously, they needed 10,000 total views to join the program. Starting today, channels also need to have 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 hours of view time in the past year. (For now, those are just requirements to join the program, but Google says it will also start applying them to current partners on February 20.)

This might assure marketers that their ads are less likely to run on random, fly-by-night channels, but as Google’s Paul Muret writes, “Of course, size alone is not enough to determine whether a channel is suitable for advertising.”

So in addition, he said:
We will closely monitor signals like community strikes, spam, and other abuse flags to ensure they comply with our policies. Both new and existing YPP channels will be automatically evaluated under this strict criteria and if we find a channel repeatedly or egregiously violates our community guidelines, we will remove that channel from YPP. As always, if the account has been issued three community guidelines strikes, we will remove that user’s accounts and channels from YouTube.

Moving forward, Muret said the program will offer “not only … the most popular content on Youube, but also the most vetted.” That means everything in Google Preferred should be manually curated, with ads only running “on videos that have been verified to meet our ad-friendly guidelines.” (Looks like all those new content moderators will be busy.)

Lastly, Muret said YouTube will be introducing a new “three-tier suitability system” in the next few months, aimed at giving marketers more control over the trade-off between running ads in safer environments versus reaching more viewers.

evoloz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
It is a little disappointing YouTube has announced this, as others have said it won't stop me making content but they could have announced this so much earlier rather than leaving thousands of accounts in review for months to only then announce we are all no longer eligable

Alexander Hoff

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
So now you REALLY need longer videos huh? If you upload shorter videos, then you're screwed. Youtube really wants everyone to be a boring vlogger or lets player nowadays, huh? 10+ minutes of boring content with lots of mid roll ads. And to upload 10 times a day. Perfect! This is just getting ridiculous...

Reactions: videoeditgr

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
I'm speechless.

I was one of the early invitees to the YPP at its inception with my signature channel. Now I have 6 weeks till I'll be booted out, it seems. 5,636 subscribers, and just under 2,500 hours in Dec. 2186.73 hours so far this month; so there is still time. It looks like I'm going to lose monetization on every remaining channel I have in the YPP.

Addendum: If that is in the past 12 months, not the past month, then my main channel may be ok!

I now wonder if this is the first step to killing the program off entirely; so all of you who are sitting there saying "This is a good thing!", just hold your horses for a year I advise. The first thing (already happening), is that people will stop joining YouTube as creators, but start watching videos as non-members of the site.

The second wave will be the backlash from those who were making some money, no matter how little. Such will either delete their channels, or simply cease posting to them. A very small number (who were close to the new threshold at its inception) will continue to post in the hope of reaching threshold before year's end. I may be one of those; I haven't decided yet.

The third wave will come from the advertisers, rather than the creators. I suspect the number of channels which will lose monetization will greatly curtail the number of active channels available for ad service.

When there are more ads than channels to serve them up, what do you think the advertisers will do?
If YouTube has given itself the final bullet in the foot, and the advertisers leave never to return, expect a complete YPP shutdown announcement by the end of this year, or early 2019.

Last edited:

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I wonder if this is also a move to get rid of the droves and droves of small channels. Channels that I don't imagine pay for their presence. Like, does my ~300 sub channel pay for the hardware its played on? I am it sure how it works, but at the end of the day I can't really blame youtu be for wanting to be profitable. It's just sad that this thing we thought might last forever isnt.

Reactions: videoeditgr

The BBQ Chef

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's an interesting take on things. I can't imagine it will effect the advertisers too greatly, there will still be many, many channels for them to serve ads on.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
@The BBQ Chef

I think I will do a brief survey these next three weeks on how many channels are likely to remain in the YPP after Feb. I'll try for a sample of 5000 channels, which I know is tiny. I'll try for a range of join dates also. I'll avoid the top 10000 channels.

This will be interesting...

MentallyGames

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Other
I'm speechless.

I was one of the early invitees to the YPP at its inception with my signature channel. Now I have 6 weeks till I'll be booted out, it seems. 5,636 subscribers, and just under 2,500 hours in Dec. 2186.73 hours so far this month; so there is still time. It looks like I'm going to lose monetization on every remaining channel I have in the YPP.

I now wonder if this is the first step to killing the program off entirely; so all of you who are sitting there saying "This is a good thing!", just hold your horses for a year I advise. The first thing (already happening), is that people will stop joining YouTube as creators, but start watching videos as non-members of the site.

The second wave will be the backlash from those who were making some money, no matter how little. Such will either delete their channels, or simply cease posting to them. A very small number (who were close to the new threshold at its inception) will continue to post in the hope of reaching threshold before year's end. I may be one of those; I haven't decided yet.

The third wave will come from the advertisers, rather than the creators. I suspect the number of channels which will lose monetization will greatly curtail the number of active channels available for ad service.

When there are more ads than channels to serve them up, what do you think the advertisers will do?
If YouTube has given itself the final bullet in the foot, and the advertisers leave never to return, expect a complete YPP shutdown announcement by the end of this year, or early 2019.
1st wave: that actually sounds perfect for Youtube! The greats are the only one interesting enough to put adds on in the first place and if YT consists of more people WATCHING the content, that means more adds being watched, more interest from advertisers, better growth for YT as a company. Youtube is a useless platform if it has more creators then it has viewers.

2nd wave: Creators that will delete their channels because of this have one issue: where are they going to go? Twitch is a completely different beast and there is nothing else out there that even gives you a decent opportunity at making money from your content. If people get the itch to create videos, they will return to YT as it is the only platform that really matters in that space and nobody is going to touch it.

3rd wave: I doubt that it will have anything close to that much impact. If what you are saying about people becoming viewers instead of creators is going to happen, that is going to level out the lack of creators to place adds on, as one creator will have enough views to dump all the adds on and still be profitable for advertisers.

Reactions: coliwob