TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was like WTF. Then I checked my channel and I have the sub requirement (extremely close to 5K now) and do about 25,000 hours a year. I am good. But, if they decide to up the ante to say 10K subscribers... Well... That is when I will be the guy that leaves. I rely on YouTube revenue to pay for my adobe and save up somewhat to ease the pain of new camera equipment. I can see the point coming where my channel will actually start to pay for itself. It's close.

If they make it 10K subscribers and 25,000 hours a lot of channels would be hit including mine. That is my fear. That they keep raising the bar. It is great news for those above the bar. But if you are under it and are a great addition to the YouTube community? You are getting shafted.

Reactions: danikempvlogs

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the YouTube Video Monetization & Partnership Forum. ^_^

Thank you for the information! I also thought 10k views was kind of low. I like that they switched it from views to watchtime because I think watchtime is harder to fake. But, I kind of think 4k hours is a bit too much. :/ Then again, I didn't reach those kinds of numbers until I had 1k subscribers, so maybe it averages out to be normal channel statistics to set goals towards. ^_^[DOUBLEPOST=1516161404,1516161008][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I've merged your thread into here, too, @Shakycow :)

Reactions: Crown and Shakycow

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Literally, as i was reading this, the email notice popped-up telling me that one of my old/unused channels is no longer eligible..
I think this is good - it will take a bit more effort meaning a lot of the spammers & scammers will go elsewhere.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I just got an email from them and they changed the threshhold for partners. Now you must have a thousand subs, and 4000 hours of watch time in the past year. My channel (and I assume any other small channel) will be demonetized.

I enjoyed getting that random 50 bucks that one time, but I guess from now on, no more money coming in. For those that might think I'm fake and only do it for the money, I still intend to make this year with the most number of VGM episodes being made, even if it's for free.

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Apparently YouTube is stupid because I just
Emailed we are the hits the song
Cover network and I can still monetize cover songs through the network no matter how many subscribers I have etc

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
They increased the req to get into it again.
YouTube just killed my gaming channel :-/ Now I have to put everything in one channel that will sometimes confuse the regular subscribers. I had a poll some weeks ago where more than half of the voters said that I'd better place the gaming videos on separate channel.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
A big part of that effort will be strengthening our requirements for monetization so spammers, impersonators, and other bad actors can’t hurt our ecosystem or take advantage of you, while continuing to reward those who make our platform great.

Back in April of 2017, we set a YPP eligibility requirement of 10,000 lifetime views. While that threshold provided more information to determine whether a channel followed our community guidelines and policies, it’s been clear over the last few months that we need a higher standard.

Starting today we’re changing the eligibility requirement for monetization to 4,000 hours of watchtime within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers. We’ve arrived at these new thresholds after thorough analysis and conversations with creators like you. They will allow us to significantly improve our ability to identify creators who contribute positively to the community and help drive more ad revenue to them (and away from bad actors). These higher standards will also help us prevent potentially inappropriate videos from monetizing which can hurt revenue for everyone.

This basically means that us smaller channels are getting punished for the kind of crap and contraversy Pewdiepie and Logan Paul have been up to. So yeah, they keep their channels, but it's the little guys that get demonetized.

Reactions: darkstarmedia