Intro or no intro?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think an intro is just fine, as long as its short enough :) I would say to try and keep intros less than 10 seconds and to enhance them even more, maybe put a short clip of your video BEFORE your intro. That way viewers get a small taste of what your video is about and are therefore more willing to sit through an intro.

LukussJA

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
This is a difficult one. With me i try to announce what i am playing and a quick overview of what the game is, Example was little nightmares 'Hi everyone- welcome to Little Nightmares the puzzle horror game' etc. I find that when i watch other peoples videos i will skip the intro. So i try keep mine down to 5-10 seconds ( which i only have a brief intro when starting a new series) as i can see it getting boring. I have also found that i have had a better watch retention when i jump start into my commentary - Obviously this is what works for me. Best thing to do is try both? and track the watch retention for both videos see if people are engaging during the intro. My youtube knowledge isnt the best but hopefully this might help you! good luck!

Jimson Lima

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
If you're going to have an intro keep it short. Intros are good for branding. I personally don't like intros especially if they're long I just skip it but if they are something that going to be building your brand wont hurt to try it if you have an idea for a good intro

ArtesVives

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
For the record, I have a 5 second intro... no idea if that will work...just started. I'll come back in 3-4 months and let you know.
I do know that I've seen videos with awesome graphic intros lasting 30 seconds and I forgot why I was there (or my interest fizzles out) halfways through the intro...so i leave. I've only known they're so long because I've stayed just to see how long can he / she dare go.

ArtesVives

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
This is a difficult one. With me i try to announce what i am playing and a quick overview of what the game is, Example was little nightmares 'Hi everyone- welcome to Little Nightmares the puzzle horror game' etc. I find that when i watch other peoples videos i will skip the intro. So i try keep mine down to 5-10 seconds ( which i only have a brief intro when starting a new series) as i can see it getting boring. I have also found that i have had a better watch retention when i jump start into my commentary - Obviously this is what works for me. Best thing to do is try both? and track the watch retention for both videos see if people are engaging during the intro. My youtube knowledge isnt the best but hopefully this might help you! good luck!
If you're talking it's not actually an "Intro"..it's just YOU talking letting the viewer know what it's all about.
What I call intro is like my 5-second show of my logo with a stinger....which I try to play after telling what the video is about.
LIke "Flash news: Cinderella lost a shoe!" TNANANANANAANANANAAN and then the broadcast of the full news.

Megamindez

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would not recommend it because I follow a few people, and it is actually a bit annoying, because it
is basically just repetition and provides no extra value.
WOuld leave it out. xx

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Are there really people that will stop watching a video after 2-3 seconds?

I'm a bit cautious, my intro is only 2.5 seconds long.

I probably would skip a video if the intro is 30-40 seconds.

That being said, an intro is important for branding and giving familiarity.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I use to use an intro for all my videos but I only use it when I make haul videos, I usually make comedy videos and I don't that intro I made works for comedy videos but it looks cute in my hauls. Some of my subscribers wanted me to keep it some of them didn't like it and some wanted me to shorten it and I did I didn't realize how long my intro was when I first started using and I first started using it right after I made my channel that was 2 years ago I didn't really know any better because I was really new to YouTube I never had a channel before so I didn't really know what to do and not to at the time

UnboxingSve

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
@StupidStoriez maybe if you fix your link. I was thinking about the same. Some viewers asked me to do make some intro. But I personally think it is waste of time for viewers. So, now I am trying with a new idea: for each video before jumping into start, I will extract some interesting part of it in the beginning like some short teaser that will keep the viewer not to go :). And I think it is a really interesting idea. Will let you know doest it works, because until now I just upload one video with that "intro" idea.
Just to update you on this. I think this thing really works. It helped me to grow faster. Maybe that is not the only reason, but for sure I got more subscribers than before, in much faster scale than before. You can go to my channel and find the video 8Bitdo Zero Mini Joystick for Smartphone, check how I extracted interesting part of the video, followed by the short intro, and then jump into the start of the video. Let me know what do you guys think about this, but I think it really helps keep the viewer engaged in these first few seconds and then the rest is the quality of your video will he still stay or not, but at least this will give a chance to the video.