How to View Tags on a Competitor's Video and Copy them If Needed - Using TubeBuddy

WeiseGamer

Your #1 Source For Indie Gaming
Hey YTTalk,

WeiseGamer here, and I wanted to write another TubeBuddy guide! I have been using TubeBuddy for awhile now and since I use it all the time, I've been writing guides for it! I figured I would write up another guide showing the benefits of the free tool that is TubeBuddy, pairing this with the "Tag Explorer" tool guide I already wrote (see below)! I also want to note that I am not being paid by TubeBuddy to write this article in any way shape or form. I have, however, contributed to their channel with tutorials covering various tools they offer. Feel free to sign up and try it out free at TubeBuddy.com.

-TubeBuddy Guides by WeiseGamer-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With that stuff out of the way, let's get to it!

-Video Version-

-Introduction-
Many of us fall into one of two categories when discussing the ability to view tags / keywords used on a competitor's video. We either miss the "Old" YouTube, or we are too new to the scene to know YouTube used to have this built it! There are various ways to view the keywords still without any kind of 3rd party application, plugin, tool, etc, however they are not very user friendly in the "GUI" sense, and leave you with just the tags and no further info provided. That's where TubeBuddy comes in, the free tool that can help you in SO many ways as a content creator.

-What is TubeBuddy?-
TubeBuddy is a plugin that you can download and install for free at TubeBuddy.com. It provides a lot of useful features that honestly should be built into YouTube and give us some of those features back from the "Old" YouTube such as showing what tags people are using on their videos, which is what this guide is all about!

-What is "Viewing and Copying a Tag?"-
Tags are on all videos (or should be) to help viewers locate your video in the YouTube search engine. YouTube has "web crawlers" (or "spiders" as they are sometimes referred to) that go through your title, description, tags, and more to determine where your video should show up in search results. This isn't just for ranking purposes, but even being in the playing field on a search. TubeBuddy allows you to see the tags being used not only on your own videos, but competitor's videos as well and makes it VERY easy to copy and paste them into your own videos, taking the bits that work best for your own content.

-NOTE-
I do not 100% condone using this method to copy every tag from PewDiePie or another YouTuber and call them your own, however tags are simply keywords and as long as you follow the YouTube ToS, keep tags relevant to your content, and don't throw them into your description you should be perfectly fine! I am not responsible for how this tool is used by you however =)

-How Do I Use It? / Practical Application-
After installing TubeBuddy from TubeBuddy.com, you will have all the work done! Pack up and go home.....just kidding. It's a tad more involved then that, but not by much! Once installed, any video you go to will have a new section under it showing all the tags the content creator implemented as seen here (also reveals some of the top YouTubers SUCK at creating tags in my opinion):
  • EnterElysium:
    5vzsBsb.png
  • Markiplier:
    Ix7Vu5P.png
  • PewDiePie:
    O00dhJ9.jpg
  • JennaMarbles:
    0Lr9AUP.png
  • iJustine:
dX6xoRu.jpg
  • NadeShot:
    sCOAsen.png
Some of those results may even be shocking. Yes guys and gals, PewDiePie pretty much NEVER tags outside of the defaults you see on just about EVERY video (to include those), there's not much else he will change usually. But because he has so many subs, views, likes, and started really early in the scene with other reasons involved I'm sure, he is STILL ranking like crazy. Let's move on though before we all get too upset with that =)

Now we can see all these tags, let's take it to the next step. Let's say I'm ALSO doing a Call of Duty Advanced Warfare gameplay video. I know NadeShot is one of the biggest YouTubers in this scene, a professional (well retired now) Call of Duty Gamer, etc. etc. Maybe I want to look at his tags and copy some to my own video. In the top right corner, there is a COPY button that TubeBuddy added for us:
P6tEX4u.png

Clicking this button will take all the tags and copy it to our clipboard, aka, you can right click and paste into your own tag field and this will give you ALL the tags from the previous video.

Using this method, we can get a list of tags from various top ranking videos in our video's theme/title/genre, remove the fluff / trim the fat such as "opticnade" in the above screenshot, and then use our Tag Explorer to see how well they rank and pick/choose the keywords with lower competition, higher search results, and better rankings for you.

-Results?-
Do me a favor and go to YouTube.com, search "indie game previews" which is a term I try to rank for. It's a specific niche term, but with it there are about 40,000 videos that come up. On the front page, the top 20 videos appear and I own 8 out of the 20 spots. 5 of those 8 are in the top 10 results.

TtguZtx.png

If we drop the "s" and search "Indie Game Preview" we will see 181,000 video results. I own 4 out of the 20 videos on the first page, 1 of being in the top 10. I would say this is working for me as these are videos for games that are not SUPER popular, they are indie games. They don't have THAT many views or likes, nothing special about it other than good titles, keywords / tags, and descriptions.

fZacZxP.png

-Conclusion-

By utilizing this tool and pairing it with the "Tag Explorer" we mentioned in my other guide, you will find that you can now not only find the tags top videos are using, but also copy them to your own videos with ease, and eliminate the ones that won't help with any search rankings. Let me know what you think of the feature and if you have any questions, feel free to comment below or on the video itself!

Big thanks to @Phil @ TubeBuddy for giving us such as great tool! Also, sign up at TubeBuddy.com and give it a try for yourself!

Last edited:
That's actually pretty cool!
I don't think I tag my videos the best, because I don't really know how to tag them lol

So I'll try this out :)

Do I have enough Yoshi in my tags? lol

yoshi's woolly world,yoshi's wooly world,amiibo,yoshi wii u,wonder wool,yoshi's woolly world multiplayer,yoshi's woolly world 2 player co-op,tinylunchboxgamers,yoshi's wooly world co op part 21,yoshi's wooly world co op,yoshi's woolly world co op

That's actually pretty cool!
I don't think I tag my videos the best, because I don't really know how to tag them lol

So I'll try this out :)

I totally agree and I'm glad you found it helpful! Finding good tags can be tough, so this is a great way to get started with some tag ideas, then using tag explorer you can see how impactful they can be for you.

Wow this is nearly shocking... I cannot believe this is happening D:

Do you mean the YouTubers that have almost no tags? Haha. That's what has always bugged me as well my friend.

Do I have enough Yoshi in my tags? lol

yoshi's woolly world,yoshi's wooly world,amiibo,yoshi wii u,wonder wool,yoshi's woolly world multiplayer,yoshi's woolly world 2 player co-op,tinylunchboxgamers,yoshi's wooly world co op part 21,yoshi's wooly world co op,yoshi's woolly world co op

I think that is Yoshi of every variety, haha. So take those, put them into tag explorer and see if people are searching for it (search volume) and how much competition there is (competition area).

Liking the search rankings tool a lot. I know it's in beta right now, but it's helped me see how well and how bad (not ranked) my video in ranked with specific tags.

Liking the search rankings tool a lot. I know it's in beta right now, but it's helped me see how well and how bad (not ranked) my video in ranked with specific tags.

Yes! This feature is amazing. Much easier than what I've done in the past (hand typing in tags to see rankings manually)

Back