No Comment Notifications? Need a way to sort Comments? - Managing Comments with TubeBuddy

WeiseGamer

Your #1 Source For Indie Gaming
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey there YTTalk, WeiseGamer here and I'm back with another TubeBuddy Tutorial, showing you a tool that resolves the issues we face as content creators in locating new comments, responding to them, managing spam, and more! Since the recent YouTube updates seem to have broken a lot of comment notifications, this guide will be fixing that issue and addressing other issues we face!

-TubeBuddy Guides by WeiseGamer-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay on to the guide!

-Video Guides (Broken into SubCategories)-
Coming Soon

-Introduction-
Community involvement and engagement is KEY on YouTube. Engaging your audience and in turn having them comment on your video shows YouTube that your video is important to them, and assists with search ranking. Plus, we all enjoy our communities (well, we should) and want to communicate with them. The Comment Filter portion of TubeBuddy is an AWESOME resolution to not only managing comments, but seeing anything that has gone unanswered now that the new comment notification system on YouTube seems to have been broken/replaced.

-What is TubeBuddy?-
TubeBuddy is a plugin that you can download and install for free at TubeBuddy.com. It provides a lot of useful features that honestly should be built into YouTube and give us some of those features back from the Old YouTube such as showing what tags people are using on their videos!

-What are "Comment Filters?"-
Comment Filters are a feature within TubeBuddy which allows you to use various filters to search for comments that have not been answered, contain negative feedback, positive feedback, certain words, and more for YouTube comments on your videos. This will allow you to better engage your audience and ensure you are caught up on any comments your community provides you. It is the core feature of this guide and what I will be discussing for the remainder of this tutorial.

-How Do I Use It?-
I will break down using it into two sections. First, how to view and filter comments from ALL videos. Second, how to view and filter comments on a SPECIFIC video.

-Viewing and Filtering Comments from ALL Videos-

After installing TubeBuddy you should see their little icon in the top right corner of YouTube as shown:

This new icon has many features and links, one of which being the "Comments" area. Click on Comments in the "Quick Links" section:

From here you will see the standard YouTube comment area with a new TubeBuddy dropdown for filters!

Taking a look at our options, we see the first solution to a common problem. "Comments I haven't replied to" which will show you all comments that are new, waiting for your reply. This is my NUMBER 1 reason for using this feature and solves the problem of no new comment notifications since you can easily sort this here. I will continue to describe the other filters though as well to give you an idea of how they work.

• All Comments: Self-Explanatory, this is just resetting the filter to view all comments available.
  • Comments that I have not replied to: This will show any TOP-LEVEL comments you have not replied to at all. Not to be confused with the next filter.
  • Comments that have replies which need to be followed up on: This will show any "sub-comments" you haven't replied to. For example, someone comments on your video, you reply, then they reply again, it will show up here as you have replied once (so it won't be in the previous filter), but there are additional replies.
  • Comments with Reply disabled: This shows comments that are from accounts that do not allow replies. We've seen this with Google+ linking issues in the past or just privacy settings on accounts. You can try to contact the individual through Google+ instead, twitter, or other means so you can still reply!
  • Comments that contain questions: This will filter for question marks within the comments. This way you can easily look for questions people are asking you and prioritize replying to those.
  • Comments that contain profanity: This will filter for curse words or words deemed a tad more mature or profane in nature. Not all may be considered curse words to you, however this is a very nice way to report/remove comments that are excessive and causing an issue.
  • Comments that contain positive sentiment: This filter is awesome. It allows you to look for comments that are providing positive feedback. Such as "good", "great," "love," "best," and more. This is a great way to see what the positive things are people are saying to you and what you should continue to do! You can thank them and reply easily this way.
  • Comments that contain negative sentiment: This will look for any comments that show what you need to improve on. This filters things like "suck," "bad," "terrible," and others that will help you locate areas you can improve on in your future videos. Also, it allows you to address these comments and possibly explain yourself.
  • Comments that contain the word(s)...: This is for custom filters. Maybe you are looking for the word "help" or "Weise" in an address to you. This is a great way to see which ones are directed toward a specific word or set of words you specify.
There is also an Advanced section. This is a way to combine any of the above filters in your own way as seen below with the possible drop downs, allowing a near endless way to filter your comments to your own needs:

This allows for a final result to narrow down exactly what you want to find as shown:

-Viewing and Filtering Comments from A SPECIFIC Video-
Alright so seeing all your comments in one place is great, but what I want to tailor this to a specific video I uploaded. Let's say I do a video a week, and I want to reply to latest video's comments specifically or search through them to moderate any spam, any negative comments, etc. TubeBuddy allows that as well!

From the right hand side of the comment section you can pick any video from the dropdown:

For my example, I chose my review for Rocket League. Clicking it will bring me comments only from this video. Notice that the TubeBuddy filters are available here as well!

The drop down contains the same filters mentioned in the "ALL Video" section above to include the "Advanced filters" as well.

-Putting it into Practice-

With this tool, you will no longer be missing out on important feedback and comments on your channel. If you have the problem of too many comments to reply to everyone, or just have an issue with seeing new comments come in, this will help you filter those comments for positive feedback, constructive criticism, and moderate anything negative in order to better engage with your viewers.

-Results/Conclusion-

Let me know what you think! Try it out yourself. It's free to use and you can start seeing results by using this tool. If you're interested, head to TubeBuddy.com and check it out. Feel free to ask questions here or comment on the videos with any feedback you have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael

ZombieBrain

Always hungry!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
This will be very useful. I've been using Tubebuddy for a while now but never actually used it to manage my comments :)

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the great article, please note we dont permit referral links here :)

CoolMoo5

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
woah that looks really cool. I don't use tube buddy. But if ever got more then a few comments per video that would be really handy.