Tags / Keywords - Using Tubebuddy's Tag Explorer Feature

WeiseGamer

Your #1 Source For Indie Gaming
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey there YTTalk, WeiseGamer here and it's been quite awhile since I've written a tip guide / article so I feel I should get back to it! I want to say that I am in no way benefiting or profiting by writing a guide revolving the plugin TubeBuddy and have no partnership or affiliation with them other than enjoying their product. You can however sign up for FREE at TubeBuddy.com/.

Awhile back I wrote a couple guides but, unfortunately, I had taken about 9 months off YouTube (and as such YTTalk) due to life events and though they are relevant still, they are a tad outdated. If you do want to see them, you can find them here.

-Older Guides:-

-TubeBuddy Guides by WeiseGamer-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay on to the guide!

-Video Version-

-Introduction-
We all know getting your content noticed is very difficult. Something that CAN help you however is tagging your video properly using searchable keywords that aren't completely saturated, but still being searched for by what we would hope is a large number of people.

-What is TubeBuddy?-
TubeBuddy is a plugin that you can download and install for free at TubeBuddy.com. It provides a lot of useful features that honestly should be built into YouTube and give us some of those features back from the Old YouTube such as showing what tags people are using on their videos!

-What is "Tag Explorer?"-
Tag Explorer is a feature within TubeBuddy which allows you to basically use the google keyword search tool specifically for YouTube searches with information regarding where you rank for the term you enter, who ranks in the top 3 for that search term, what suggested terms are there that are similar, competition, number of searches, etc. It is the core of this guide and what I will be discussing for the remainder of this guide.

-How Do I Use It?-
Alright, so now for the how-to. After installing TubeBuddy you should see their little icon in the top right corner of YouTube as shown:

This new icon has many features, one of which being the Tag Explorer! Click on Tag Explorer in the bottom right:

A new window will pop up for us to enter a keyword/tag into:

For my example, I'm using the keyword "Action Henk Speedrun" which is something I'm trying to rank for regarding an indie game called "Action Henk" in which I have a few videos for. We will explore various tags to see which will be best for me to rank in.

We can see in the image above that the overall score is 80/100 for the keyword, it has low search volume (I'd love it to be higher, but we can settle) but VERY LOW competition which means for those that search for it, not many videos have this tag and it can be easier to be found. We also see that I rank for 9 out of the 20 top results on this keyword, and we see what the top ranking videos use for tags as well as what search term allows individuals to click on that video. In our example, 85% of the people search "action henk," 60% search "action henk gameplay," 50% "action henk game," etc. etc. Let's try going after some of that volume. Consider this, searching "Call of Duty" is going to bring up MILLIONS of videos and you simply have little to no chance of ranking for that. However something like "action henk review" with 50% of search hits seems viable. Let's check!

Okay, so looking at this I don't currently own any of the search results on page 1 (top 20) but this has HIGH SEARCH VOLUME with VERY LOW COMPETITION. This would be something we would REALLY want to try to target as we could rank easier and be found. Using this method, you can see what tags are bringing people to videos, pick the top ones that you have a chance to rank in, and put them to use!

-Putting it into Practice-
Alright so you have a list of tags and keywords that are being searched, bringing clicks/views to videos, and now you want to use it. Great! Let's get started. We want to use these in our title, description, and tags in a logical way so we can rank in search results. In my example, "Action Henk Speedrun" brought about 45% of search results to views on videos. It had lower search volume, but also VERY low competition and was a choice for me to target.

Title of my video: "Action Henk - Gold Medal Speed Run - (Insert Level Name)"
Tags: A list of various ones collected from TubeBuddy, I won't list them all here.
Description: "Action Henk is an amazing and addicting indie game similar to titles such as Speedrunners and Trials Fusion......"

-Results?-

Well, as TubeBuddy has shown I am ranking in a few of the choice keywords I put into use. If you go to YouTube and type in "Action Henk Speedrun" the bottom half of the results are all me and I am very pleased to find that. Yes, I wish I was rank 1 in this keyword, but I'll take it as I'm still on the first page!

In conclusion, though this is not a GUARANTEED way to get to the top, it can help a TON and I am very thankful for having an easy to use keyword tool that helps me keep track of what I'm ranking for and what's worth fighting for in search results.

Try it out yourself. It's free to use and you can start seeing results by using this tool. If you're interested, head to TubeBuddy.com and check it out.

Last edited:

Riddikore

Overseer of Earth Realm
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've been meaning to try out TubeBuddy specifically for the tag explorer. Thanks for reminding me and writing an instructional post!

WeiseGamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've been meaning to try out TubeBuddy specifically for the tag explorer. Thanks for reminding me and writing an instructional post!
Yeah it's really the MAIN feature I use along with copy/paste tags for some of my "series" type videos. I love the plugin and it's completely free. If you do want premium, you can sign up and get access to more than just the top 3 keywords which is totally worth it in my opinion.

Reactions: Riddikore

ApexTV

ApexTV Makes Top 10 Videos!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the tool! I will definitely look into it!

WeiseGamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks for the tool! I will definitely look into it!
It's something I found here and figured many people posted they were going to "try it out" but no one went into depth with the tools! Speaking of which, if anyone has questions on other mechanics I'd be happy to help.

ApexTV

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's something I found here and figured many people posted they were going to "try it out" but no one went into depth with the tools! Speaking of which, if anyone has questions on other mechanics I'd be happy to help.
Cool, thanks for offering the help! I will look into it any probably try a few of their tools.

Reactions: WeiseGamer

Phil @ TubeBuddy

I've Got It
Reaction score
Great guide WeiseGamer! Thanks for putting this together. We spend all of our time building the tools and not enough time explaining them so things like this are really helpful to our customers. We are building out a Tools section on our website and will include a link to this post so our other customers can read it.

ApexTV

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Great guide WeiseGamer! Thanks for putting this together. We spend all of our time building the tools and not enough time explaining them so things like this are really helpful to our customers. We are building out a Tools section on our website and will include a link to this post so our other customers can read it.
I agree! This is a great guide that I am sure to use! Thanks again WeiseGamer!

WeiseGamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You guys are way too kind, haha. I appreciate it and will likely make a video covering the same topic and move into the other topics as well. I love this plugin![DOUBLEPOST=1436993853,1436993661][/DOUBLEPOST]You guys are way too kind. I plan to make a YouTube video to accompany this guide and will likely go over the other tools as well both written and in video!

Riddikore

Overseer of Earth Realm
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Ah I see it requires a paid monthly subscription to get more than 3 results back. And those security permissions request a little too much access to control my YT account for my liking. Especially since I personally could just use the tag explorer.

Reactions: RBG