Don't Monetize Your Videos.....

Gaming content is very particular but not outright illegal. Youtube's own words:

Video game content may be monetized if the associated step-by-step commentary is strictly tied to the live action being shown and provides instructional or educational value.

In other words; as long as you are actively talking about what is happening on screen you are allowed to monetize the footage. If you just use it as a screen filler you could get in trouble.

However a lot of game developers allow fair use such as commentaries and Let's Plays. So far all my Half-Life 2 and BioShock videos have been reviewed and accepted. Then I uploaded a Battlefield 3 video that wasn't commented but did have audible in-game communication, which Youtube asked a license for. I contacted EA about it who told me that they allow (even commercial) use of their game's footage. So to this day I have no idea why that video hasn't been accepted yet. I indicated that I have written permission, but Youtube has yet to get back to me.

So yeah, I have to disagree with not monetizing your channel from the start. Click bombing can happen at any moment, even when you're a partner. And I don't assume that being a partner suddenly means that being click bombed doesn't have a repercussion. Would be a very easy way to make a lot of money, no? There is no real effective way to defend against click bombing, except to notify Google/Youtube as soon as you see it possibly happening.

Lol, if not for this forum, I would never have been worried about monetizing my videos! I took off monetization on all my videos after reading about different experiences on here. I've monetized one now because the 'YouTube Partner' text was removed from my dashboard (and it still hasn't re-appeared). I now have the Custom Thumbnails option which I'm pleased about.

I need to do a little more research on this because people with small channels like mine have had their AdSense accounts disabled, that's why I worried!

Could someone take a look at my channel and tell me what you think? And to those who have been victims of click bombing, was it on videos that had popular words eg Gangnam Style or a popular game name, celeb, etc?

Back