Don't Monetize Your Videos.....

I would still monetize my videos, if you are producing quality content without copyrighted material then I suggest you monetize your videos because you have to start somewhere.

Very informative thread! I got offered partnership on my very small channel, I have 72 subscribers and decided to monetize my videos. I think I might take off monetization until I grow my audience.

But that is free money. Having Monetization "on" or "off" has nothing to do with your channel or the quality of your content, only how much money you make in the long run.

As long as you abide by the YouTube TOS, then I would always leave Monetization "ON"
Something is better than nothing, especially if it doesn't negatively effect anything.

And hey, that little bit of money you make could go towards a better cam, or audio equipment....

But that is free money. Having Monetization "on" or "off" has nothing to do with your channel or the quality of your content, only how much money you make in the long run.

As long as you abide by the YouTube TOS, then I would always leave Monetization "ON"
Something is better than nothing, especially if it doesn't negatively effect anything.

And hey, that little bit of money you make could go towards a better cam, or audio equipment....

Yes, all content is mine and I abide by YouTube's Terms of Services....

And you're right I might as well earn something, no matter how little it is. Thanks!

In our experience, common sense usually works quite well.
Some of our videos we don't put any ads on as a side of caution, Also you can op to what sort of ads you have as well. As a general rule we like to keep all our video under 2 or 3 thousand views AD free, simply because they just aren't that popular yet and really isn't going to make any money plus it may "turn off" potential views and subscribers as ads can be annoying.

In our experience, common sense usually works quite well.
Some of our videos we don't put any ads on as a side of caution, Also you can op to what sort of ads you have as well. As a general rule we like to keep all our video under 2 or 3 thousand views AD free, simply because they just aren't that popular yet and really isn't going to make any money plus it may "turn off" potential views and subscribers as ads can be annoying.

As far as copyrighted content goes: you shouldn't have anything that could be considered copyrighted in the first place to NOT be able to monetize.
It's against TOS and it's plagiarism.

If there is a "Grey area" you probably shouldn't be doing it at all.

Also, a few dollars is still a few dollars. It's one step closer to that new microphone you always wanted, or a new camera or software to edit on; or shoot, just for a nice cup of tea!

People have come to expect ads on YouTube these days. If anything, I would say someone is more inclined TO subscribe because you have ads.
Since the whole "general monetization" thing is still new, having ads on your videos might make people think you are a partner and therefore increase your traffic as they believe you will produce quality content.

You know...the "placebo effect"

Just like custom banners and thumbnails, if monetization is there....use it!

Really good points, I guess I never thought of it that way. I may just change a a few things on the old YT page

Copyright has always been tricky, I have never quite able to get a firm hold of what you can and can't get away with.
Examples: If you used USHER, Ke$ha or whoever as a soundtrack to your video you would most likely get your video booted. However videos like "Call me maybe Harvard Baseball" and similar videos have been viral successes and remain un banned

We recently made a Parody Video featuring Pikachu, Even though we modeled, and animated a 3D Pikachu from scratch ourselves, technically we using an "image" which we don't own the copyright too. Although we could call in the old "Fair Use" and it's satire and commentary, part of me is still unsure.

I once attended a day course in copyright, didn't help at all, it actually raised more questions then it did answers

Copyright has always been tricky, I have never quite able to get a firm hold of what you can and can't get away with.
Examples: If you used USHER, Ke$ha or whoever as a soundtrack to your video you would most likely get your video booted. However videos like "Call me maybe Harvard Baseball" and similar videos have been viral successes and remain un banned

It's because that would be a parody. Parody is O.K.
Remember Weird Al Yankovic? That was how he did it.

Technically speaking, you would still have to credit the write of the song and even to be nice, credit the label and artist as well.
You couldn't claim it as your own.

We recently made a Parody Video featuring Pikachu, Even though we modeled, and animated a 3D Pikachu from scratch ourselves, technically we using an "image" which we don't own the copyright too. Although we could call in the old "Fair Use" and it's satire and commentary, part of me is still unsure.

That is where it gets tricky. There is a fine line of "derivative work". Basically meaning: Could the creator of Pokemon have done it themselves and does your version of it take away or contribute to the Pokemon series.

After visiting the Pokemon page, I found:
http://www.pokemon.com/us/terms-of-use/

Which in so many words says "No, you can't do that"

The real question is: Can you get away with it?
Check out FinalCutKing's Pikachu video:

The fact that they are full on Partner probably means that nothing would happen to them.
I would suspect the same wouldn't hold true for the rest of the YouTube community...Which is kinda wack.

Some creators love sharing, because it can spread their work and get others involved.
But, some creators, like George Lucas, who will make patents on even the names of their character to sue anyone who even looks at a drawing of a stormtro....I probably shouldn't finish that sentence; I might have a lawsuit pending...

The best way to go about it, if you are unsure, is to contact the creator, production house, or artist directly and ask permission.
Or if you know for a fact by TOS of a company that you are in the green.

Take Blizzard Entertainment for example:
It is very well known that if you are a YouTube partner, you can use any Blizzard material for anything.
So if you wanted, you could use the World of Warcraft music for your short film...assuming you are a YT partner.

So there are some people/companies that are awesome. Just gotta find them!

I personally try my best to stay out of the grey area.
A large portion of our income rides on our multiple channels through adsense.
I can't take the risk of losing adsense or worse, losing our partnership.

When in doubt...Don't do it at all.

I once attended a day course in copyright, didn't help at all, it actually raised more questions then it did answers

Yea, I could see how it would get messy.
The best way to learn is to read, and read and re-read material until you can fully comprehend it.
If you still feel wary, try to contact a lawyer and ask them if you can do it.

Thanks for the advice, while it is something I'm not too worried about at the moment, we are slowly (very slowly) expanding it is something I would like to learn more about. I would hate for hard work to become undone by as a result of a copyright breach.
I didn't know that about Blizzard, that's actually very cleaver of them, what better way to expanded your Brand on a global level, by letting people plaster it all over Youtube. I hope to see other companies follow suit
Again Cheers for a very detailed response it has certainly helped

Back