2013 LAYOUT THREAD (all posts about the new layout go here)

Better, but there's still a bit of clipping:

I'd recommend right-aligning the text, honestly :-/
Ok, thanks bro! I will have to work on it tomorrow, but I appreciate your time! I think it would work best just to right-align the name, and leave the tagline at the bottom. I wish I could just take the avatar off of the banner altogether. Too bad we don't have that option. Maybe put the avatar somewhere else below the banner or something...idk, I really don't think YT will stick with this design as it is for very long. Cosmic panda only lasted about 11 months LOL :rolleyes:

Not sure where I should post this but clearly youtube/google are idiots! they expect us to upload something which is like 2100x1100 but keep it under a MB??

my problem - .PNG is 1.24mb and it needs to be 1mb-, how can I achieve this because ATM I'm using a .Jpeg so I have something on my channel.. really want my nice quality PNG though!

EDIT: I managed to compress it to around 700KB.. uploaded it.. it's still to large? you have to be kidding me!!

The dimensions should be 2120 x 1192.
  • I open my PSDs in fireworks as a flattened image.
  • Go Image preview.
  • Select PNG preset.
  • Change to PNG 24.
  • Export.
  • Then compress it further with Optipng.
Optipng! Its command line so there might be a slight learning curve but it works well for getting that extra inch of compression.

Yes, I have two options on my program: PNG-8 and PNG-24. I'm running photoshop cs4. PNG-8, reduces the size by about half, and the quality is not as good but it's still better than JPEG.

The dimensions should be 2120 x 1192.
  • I open my PSDs in fireworks as a flattened image.
  • Go export preview.
  • Select PNG preset.
  • Change to PNG 24.
  • Export.
  • Then compress it further with Optipng.
Optipng! Its command line so there might be a slight learning curve but it works well for getting that extra inch of compression.
Yes, I have two options on my program: PNG-8 and PNG-24. I'm running photoshop cs4.

thanks, my res was fine and I'm trying to use PNG-8 because I make the files smaller!

I'm at 650KB and it's still saying too large!? WTF YOUTUBE

thanks, my res was fine and I'm trying to use PNG-8 because I make the files smaller!

I'm at 650KB and it's still saying too large!? WTF YOUTUBE

650kb should be fine. As long as you're under 1Mb YouTube shouldn't kick back an "too big" error provided your dimensions are proper.

I worry PNG-8 wont return desirable results but it doesn't hurt to try! PNG-8 is usually for sprites while PNG-24 is better for vectors & graphics online.

Hmm, try and restart your browser, then log back in to YT and try again. I've had similar issues before on the old layout and I had to close the browser to get my background to work.

I've just taken it down from 256 colours to like 126 colours and it's at 446mb.. and uploaded with better quality then the JPEG. That'll do for now, I have college and don't have time to waste on youtubes silly layout change :')

Back