Will 4K Replace 1080p?

kluless

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I'm getting a dedicated camera for filming my comedy skits that I might also use for my gaming channel, and I'm deciding between a 1080p/60fps camera vs. a significantly more expensive 4K camera (a $200-$300 difference). Currently in most videos, gaming and live both, the quality standard for big/dedicated channels seems to be 1080p. However, YouTube also supports 4K, and I've watched a few gaming videos with quality higher than 1080p, such as 1440p. (Of course, screen-capture is different from camera recording, but this is just an example that higher HD is out there.)

Reading about the differences between 1080p and 4K: HD vs. Ultra HD, I'm wondering, 1) do you think 1080p HD quality will be replaced by 4K sometime in the future? (Would 1080p be the new 720p, technically HD but something that no one settles for?) 2) if so, how soon? If not, why not? 3) would you invest in a 4K camera if you had no camera? 4) any other thoughts?

At this point, I don't think having such a high-definition camera for filming skits is necessary (you'd see all the flaws on my face!), but I'd like to keep my options open and allow for expansion in the future. For example, I have diverse focuses on my skits channel, and I might want to film some footage outdoors. I'm also a relatively recent and small channel, and I'd like to attract more viewers by maintaining high-quality videos.

P.S. Excuse me if I use the "p" in 1080p incorrectly. I know there's some distinction between 1080 and 1080p, but I don't believe it's super relevant to this post.

notjamie

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think 4k resolution is pointless because, you have to remember, most people watch youtube on 4 inch phone screens or on bigger computers. 4k resolution is meant for televisions. Since everyone watches youtube on such a small screen, I don't think it's necessary to have a 4k camera, especially if you're just starting out.

ThreeProng

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well I don't think you need to buy a 4K camera because people don't really watch that unless they have a computer/internet speed that can handle it and usually just watch specific 4k videos ( those 4K nature videos usually ) just for the experience rather than a random video that happens to have 4K enabled. In the future ( idk how long ) with how technology progresses 4K will definitely become a standard, even on things such as smartphones. With how technology advances ( 20 years ago smartphones didn't even exist and now look at all they can do ) its only natural that this would be the case, but again you definently don't need a 4K camera right now.

Reactions: KingRay111
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't think 4k will replace 1080p anytime soon!
  • The files are too big
  • 1080p is quite an acceptable quality
  • Most people watch on their phone or tablet
I would go for the cheaper camera :) Use the extra money to invest in your channel!

KingRay111

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
^ All the people above are right :) ^

my internet cant even handle 720p, let alone 4k, and i am pretty sure most people cant either

GrgakGames

Phoenix Games Enthusiast (Please end my life)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Oh f**k me dude if they start saying 720p is s**t i'm gonna have to call it quits on GrgakGames lmao

joannavlogs

Love always wins
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yeah as others are saying it will take a long long time for it to be mainstream. For now it's just cool. It is awesome but it's a lot of extra work to edit it (file size, cpu etc) for that big a userbase

Jeeves

The best way to predict the future is to CREATE it
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
4k is unneccesary right now. I would say go for the 1080p camera. Might take 5-10 years for 4k to become mainstream.

kluless

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Thanks for all the advice, everyone. One thing that stresses me about technology is how quickly it's changing and improving! Thank goodness the opinion is that 4K won't be replacing 1080p anytime soon.