Will 4K Replace 1080p?

KingRay111

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks for all the advice, everyone. One thing that stresses me about technology is how quickly it's changing and improving! Thank goodness the opinion is that 4K won't be replacing 1080p anytime soon.
i mean, a 4k monitor is around $1000 isn't it? I mean, who has the money to pay for that? xD

FiREWiRE

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Probably in the future but as of now, no. 4k monitors and TVs are WAY more expensive than 1080p. In a few years they will probably start becoming more standard, but I see 1440p blowing out 1080p first.

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm only now just slowly easing back into doing 1080P footage. Kind of by accident to be honest long story lol but I'd say stick to 1080P or under unless you're doing some sort of vlog on a vacation where some people who can handle 4K might want to see that, maybe go for it, otherwise 720P is fine as well. For face cam, you don't even need a 480P cam because it's usually only taking up a small corner of the screen which means even at a higher resolution, when you downsize the facecam clip/track, most viewers if not all, probably won't notice.

MrDooney

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I literally just got to be able to render in 1080 after I built my PC

But 4k would probably not replace 1080 until like 2020 ish. Cause you need a 4k device. 4k tvs go for A LOT of money, and most phones, and laptops aren't on 4k, so its kinda pointless uploading in it because like pretty much nobody will notice hah.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm getting a dedicated camera for filming my comedy skits that I might also use for my gaming channel, and I'm deciding between a 1080p/60fps camera vs. a significantly more expensive 4K camera (a $200-$300 difference). Currently in most videos, gaming and live both, the quality standard for big/dedicated channels seems to be 1080p. However, YouTube also supports 4K, and I've watched a few gaming videos with quality higher than 1080p, such as 1440p. (Of course, screen-capture is different from camera recording, but this is just an example that higher HD is out there.)

Reading about the differences between 1080p and 4K: HD vs. Ultra HD, I'm wondering, 1) do you think 1080p HD quality will be replaced by 4K sometime in the future? (Would 1080p be the new 720p, technically HD but something that no one settles for?) 2) if so, how soon? If not, why not? 3) would you invest in a 4K camera if you had no camera? 4) any other thoughts?

At this point, I don't think having such a high-definition camera for filming skits is necessary (you'd see all the flaws on my face!), but I'd like to keep my options open and allow for expansion in the future. For example, I have diverse focuses on my skits channel, and I might want to film some footage outdoors. I'm also a relatively recent and small channel, and I'd like to attract more viewers by maintaining high-quality videos.

P.S. Excuse me if I use the "p" in 1080p incorrectly. I know there's some distinction between 1080 and 1080p, but I don't believe it's super relevant to this post.
While 4k is present in a lot of things I think that on YouTube it's less common and users don't use it that much due to the massive bandwidth requirements. It may replace 1080p at some point but I think 1080p is fine for YouTube certainly for the next few years. Not only would the 4k camera be more expensive at the moment, but the files would be much larger and it would add additional strain on your computer when it comes to editing in 4k vs 1080p due to the larger files. I think for now you're safe with sticking with 1080p and plus the extra $200-300 can be used more efficiently in other areas such as sound equipments and perhaps lighting - a well lit 1080p video is much better to watch than a poorly lit 4k one.

Ninja

Professional Funny Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
At this point in time, no. A lot of people either don't have the internet to load 4k, or don't have a computer that can handle 4k, or a device/monitor that can even support 4k. Honestly, until everyone in the world can support 4k then there isn't much point in recording or uploading 4k.

BettyisHere

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
4k will replace 1080p but for now there isnt alot of software and content for it

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Guys, while I agree that posting anything above 1080P is a bit useless right now, don't forget recording in 4K and downsize it to 1080P will give you options to use zoom effects without a drop in quality. This should not have a big effect on render time but does give you flexibility.[DOUBLEPOST=1473105464,1473100964][/DOUBLEPOST]
Probably in the future but as of now, no. 4k monitors and TVs are WAY more expensive than 1080p. In a few years they will probably start becoming more standard, but I see 1440p blowing out 1080p first.
Nah, I think people will switch to 4K directly. I would assume LCD makers make screens for displays and TV's in the same machines. With 4K for TV's becoming more standard, it would make sense to make 4K for displays as well at the same time. Plus the marketing machine for TV's will make people get excited for 4K and not settling for something "less". Both AMD and Nvidia are replacing their whole lineup this year and next year people can actually use 4K more easily except for gamers who need a lot of GPU power to play 4K.

And who owns 4K someone else says? People who enjoy photograpy and videography switch masively to 4K (and 5K) monitors. Why 5K? Because you can edit 4K without downsizing and still have room for the windows around it for video editing. Also a lot easier to multitask on 4K, I love it at least and don't regret spending the extra cash.

Spolt

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Not in the near future, will take probably a couple of years for software and hardware to be able to produce 4k quality without it costing a fortune for the developers.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
The first 8k broadcast will happen in 2020 for the open ceremony for the next Olympics. So think about that.

Reactions: KidsCorner