Unless you're planning on proving your content on Netflix or something that would be shown on a big screen, I don't think that enough consumers are ready for 4K. Most people watch on mobile and if they are at home, the vast majority of the country doesn't have high enough internet access speeds to even watch 4K without it buffering or the system automatically downgrading the quality anyway.

For YouTube, and web video generally, 1080p hi-def is a legit format that will be fine for quite a while. The default format for Facebook is still 720p, I think..

The advantage of 4K gear is it's future-proof. The industry is heading that direction. Some folks I know are getting into 8K :O_o2:.. with the idea, though, their work will go on 98 inch TV screens. It's ALL about resolution, and the intended audience.

As a performer, if you want to get your material on TV or added to a documentary, you'll want higher quality than 720.. or even 1080.. Having said that, a GREAT performance will make a documentary cut even if the producers have to jazz up the resolution somehow.

I'd say the most important thing is to get better at 1) performing, 2) video, 3) marketing, etc., so do what you can afford NOW and keep going!!

After all, a guy I know with a RED camera still busts out his iPhone to take video once in a while... ;)

Guys, while I agree that posting anything above 1080P is a bit useless right now, don't forget recording in 4K and downsize it to 1080P will give you options to use zoom effects without a drop in quality. This should not have a big effect on render time but does give you flexibility.
That's a very interesting point about zoom effects. I'd like to clarify before I buy: you'd downsize it in editing software, right? Thank you so much for the insight.[DOUBLEPOST=1473870881,1473870613][/DOUBLEPOST]
For YouTube, and web video generally, 1080p hi-def is a legit format that will be fine for quite a while. The default format for Facebook is still 720p, I think..

The advantage of 4K gear is it's future-proof. The industry is heading that direction. Some folks I know are getting into 8K :O_o2:.. with the idea, though, their work will go on 98 inch TV screens. It's ALL about resolution, and the intended audience.

As a performer, if you want to get your material on TV or added to a documentary, you'll want higher quality than 720.. or even 1080.. Having said that, a GREAT performance will make a documentary cut even if the producers have to jazz up the resolution somehow.

I'd say the most important thing is to get better at 1) performing, 2) video, 3) marketing, etc., so do what you can afford NOW and keep going!!

After all, a guy I know with a RED camera still busts out his iPhone to take video once in a while... ;)
Since I'm just doing this as a hobby, I think I'll just get the 1080p camera. That's good advice about increasing the quality of the other areas; thank you!

That's a very interesting point about zoom effects. I'd like to clarify before I buy: you'd downsize it in editing software, right? Thank you so much for the insight.[DOUBLEPOST=1473870881,1473870613][/DOUBLEPOST]
Since I'm just doing this as a hobby, I think I'll just get the 1080p camera. That's good advice about increasing the quality of the other areas; thank you!
Yes, for example you record on 4k and make a 1080p video. If you downsize you won't have a loss of information as you're merging sets of 4 pixels into 1 pixel. If you e.g in your video want a zoomed in shot, or a panning effect you can still have 1080p quality (as long as you don't zoom in too far of course).

Yes, for example you record on 4k and make a 1080p video. If you downsize you won't have a loss of information as you're merging sets of 4 pixels into 1 pixel. If you e.g in your video want a zoomed in shot, or a panning effect you can still have 1080p quality (as long as you don't zoom in too far of course).
Thank you!

Hi,

We tried to have 4K videos and 1080p videos. So far we one of our 4K videos is doing well but not enough data to say it is because of 4K quality. It could be timing, video length, content, tags and etcs. Will try more 4K and see if it brings more views.

Cheers,
MoreToysReview

Yeah, 4k isn't necessary right now. Along with a 4k camera, you need a computer that can process/read the footage. And most computers/laptops can't even do that right now. So it's kind of pointless. And like said above ^ most people are watching YouTube videos on either their computers or phones. 4k is really meant for TV because that's when you can see the full picture and appreciate the 4k quality. So I'd just stick with 1080. :)

1080p will still very acceptable for years to come. It is true that 4K is the next thing, but considering the price for designated software and playback equipment, not everyone will have access to it. Look what happened to the 3D hype a couple of years back. Then again you don't lose nothing by starting producing in 4K. You will be ahead of the curve when time comes. [emoji41][emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1080p will still very acceptable for years to come. It is true that 4K is the next thing, but considering the price for designated software and playback equipment, not everyone will have access to it. Look what happened to the 3D hype a couple of years back. Then again you don't lose nothing by starting producing in 4K. You will be ahead of the curve when time comes. [emoji41][emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cant agree more...you are ready when the market for 4K is here. Future proof yourself. Might think about making all my videos 4K...hmmm

Back