Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Something that I notice a lot on this forum are people that are complaining that they don’t get any views. Some have done sub4sub in the past, others have only been around for a few weeks and some have been doing this for ages. But I can tell you, the number one reason that you are not getting any views, is because nobody can FIND your video!

Let me take you on a little thought experiment. Imagine a large forest, full of lush trees, but also filled with low growth, such as bushes and weeds. This forest is called Youtube. In this forest there are a lot of little clearings in the trees and everyone is free to start their own little cinema (channel) in one of these clearings. Awesome, right?

So, you head off to one of the clearings and start building a little cabin to house your cinema. It’s not much yet, just one screen, a few chairs. You pour a lot of effort into making your film posters (thumbnails) and making a beautiful nameplate (banner) to place on top of the building. Everything is set for the big release! The evening comes. And nobody shows up. What happened?

Take a good look around your little clearing. You are surrounded by trees and bushes, blocked from all sides. There are a lot of people in the forest, you can hear them walk by, laughing and chattering to each other. But they only walk on the paved roads. Only very few venture through the bushes. What can you do? Pave some roads of course.

On the biggest clearing in Youtube forest stands the Youtube cinema. It’s in the centre of the forest and they cleared away a lot of bushes and trees to accommodate buildings for their workers. You have a good sense of where this clearing is, so you take your tools (SEO) and start clearing a path towards the Youtube cinema. You can only remove the bushes and weeds, winding around the trees and rocks. This first path might not be straight, or the prettiest, but you manage to connect your little clearing to the Youtube clearing. Good job! But there are many, many paths connected to the clearing of the Youtube cinema. Some big cinema’s even have huge, paved roads with streetlights and signs! Your one, little road won’t be enough.

You now know what to do. You pick up your tools again and start clearing paths to other big clearings. The Twitter cinema, the Facebook cinema, a wobbly little path to the Reddit cinema. Not all paths connect, not all paths can be maintained. But slowly but surely, you little clearing gets more and more paths that connect to clearings of others. You might even get to know other people who have a little cinema of their own, paving paths between your clearings.

Now that your clearing has paths to reach it with, people will walk down them. Some people are randomly straying over small paths, others are lost, but some have a destination in mind and are happy to find you! Over time a few of these paths will become broader, straighter and more used. You will be able to chop down some trees and allow more and more people to use your road. Congratulations, your audience can now find you!

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Thank you for joining me on this little adventure. What I would like to tell you is: No, you’re not per definition doing something wrong when you don’t get any views. You could have the best videos in the world. But as long as you don’t reach out and pave some paths, nobody will be able to find you.

Another very import thing that this story tells you is: It takes time! You paths will often start out wonky and small, but if you take time to involve yourself in other communities, the path will broaden and more people will find the way that leads to your content.

Thank you for reading and I hope I have shed some light on the monster that is called: Networking!

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Something that I notice a lot on this forum are people that are complaining that they don’t get any views. Some have done sub4sub in the past, others have only been around for a few weeks and some have been doing this for ages. But I can tell you, the number one reason that you are not getting any views, is because nobody can FIND your video!

Let me take you on a little thought experiment. Imagine a large forest, full of lush trees, but also filled with low growth, such as bushes and weeds. This forest is called Youtube. In this forest there are a lot of little clearings in the trees and everyone is free to start their own little cinema (channel) in one of these clearings. Awesome, right?

So, you head off to one of the clearings and start building a little cabin to house your cinema. It’s not much yet, just one screen, a few chairs. You pour a lot of effort into making your film posters (thumbnails) and making a beautiful nameplate (banner) to place on top of the building. Everything is set for the big release! The evening comes. And nobody shows up. What happened?

Take a good look around your little clearing. You are surrounded by trees and bushes, blocked from all sides. There are a lot of people in the forest, you can hear them walk by, laughing and chattering to each other. But they only walk on the paved roads. Only very few venture through the bushes. What can you do? Pave some roads of course.

On the biggest clearing in Youtube forest stands the Youtube cinema. It’s in the centre of the forest and they cleared away a lot of bushes and trees to accommodate buildings for their workers. You have a good sense of where this clearing is, so you take your tools (SEO) and start clearing a path towards the Youtube cinema. You can only remove the bushes and weeds, winding around the trees and rocks. This first path might not be straight, or the prettiest, but you manage to connect your little clearing to the Youtube clearing. Good job! But there are many, many paths connected to the clearing of the Youtube cinema. Some big cinema’s even have huge, paved roads with streetlights and signs! Your one, little road won’t be enough.

You now know what to do. You pick up your tools again and start clearing paths to other big clearings. The Twitter cinema, the Facebook cinema, a wobbly little path to the Reddit cinema. Not all paths connect, not all paths can be maintained. But slowly but surely, you little clearing gets more and more paths that connect to clearings of others. You might even get to know other people who have a little cinema of their own, paving paths between your clearings.

Now that your clearing has paths to reach it with, people will walk down them. Some people are randomly straying over small paths, others are lost, but some have a destination in mind and are happy to find you! Over time a few of these paths will become broader, straighter and more used. You will be able to chop down some trees and allow more and more people to use your road. Congratulations, your audience can now find you!

Thank you for joining me on this little adventure. What I would like to tell you is: No, you’re not per definition doing something wrong when you don’t get any views. You could have the best videos in the world. But as long as you don’t reach out and pave some paths, nobody will be able to find you.

Another very import thing that this story tells you is: It takes time! You paths will often start out wonky and small, but if you take time to involve yourself in other communities, the path will broaden and more people will find the way that leads to your content.

Thank you for reading and I hope I have shed some light on the monster that is called: Networking!
That was a really great way of putting it, I already have this mentality but it will definitely benefit a lot of other YouTubers!

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Hi Dutchie, thats an eloquent explanation. I like your hiking videos by the way; like a mini adventure. Relaxing to watch. And gives me some ideas for places to explore next. Think I will have a wander over to the cotswolds on my next free day. I subscribed :)

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
This is good, except the other ones like Facebook and Twitter are separate forests and you're trying to get people to leave those forests and come to the YouTube one. And the YouTube workers clear paths for people as well and put up directional signs to related cinemas and update them depending on how many people follow the signs and how much they like where the signs pointed them. That's why it's also important to put up content that people will want to find.

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
This is good, except the other ones like Facebook and Twitter are separate forests and you're trying to get people to leave those forests and come to the YouTube one. And the YouTube workers clear paths for people as well and put up directional signs to related cinemas and update them depending on how many people follow the signs and how much they like where the signs pointed them. That's why it's also important to put up content that people will want to find.
Very good points! Thanks for the addition :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn EVA-L09 met Tapatalk

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Very good analogy and also a hopeful one too!

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
And the YouTube workers clear paths for people as well and put up directional signs to related cinemas and update them depending on how many people follow the signs and how much they like where the signs pointed them.
And the YouTube workers also tend to put roadblocks on certain paths, just in case any greedy corporate businessmen tend to wander in the forest, not like what they see, and decide to roll-in with Adpocalypse™ brand bulldozers and plow down everyone's cinemas. lmao

chubbybots

I've Got It
Reaction score
Seriously thats an awesome imagery. If you can get someone to animate it into a short animation / film of shorts it will do really well!

HC.SameerPatil

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

This was a great read. Honestly have seen a huge change in channel interaction by being proactive and putting in the hard work through online engagement with the community. You put together the YOUTUBE journey so well! Thank you for this thread ;)