Why is it Wrong to Say You Want to be a Famous YouTuber?

avilsd

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Napoleon Hill once said this while giving a speech on why you should never disclose your major plans or purpose in life to other people:

"Some people just like to stick their toes out on the sidewalk to watch you fall, especially if you have a high head and look like you're going to accomplish more in life than they are."

I think that holds true in the Youtube space.
Gotta love good ol' Napoleon Hill! It's one of the laws of power to never truly reveal your identity, but then again.. you can still dominate if you just have enough energy

YouTubers United Podcast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is a side issue, but there is this phenomenon in psychology where you tell the people around you that you are going to do something. And that simple act of talking about your dreams actually activates the satisfaction centers in your brain, causing you to feel as if you've already accomplished something when in reality, you havent even started yet.

Tell your friends and family that you're losing weight and you're 'really gonna do it this time', and you'll likely give up after a few days.
Brag to your buds that you're gonna be a youtuber, and in no time you'll be chillin on the couch, dreaming about those soaring sub numbers rather than going out and acheiving them.

Check out the Ted Talk, "Keep your goals to yourself"

Pheelyks

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
I recently had someone go off on me in a Facebook group because I asked for an opinion on my changes to my upload schedule. She went off saying that I shouldn't care about when I make my uploads and simply make them because it's fun. She continued that caring about when my videos are up and what my views count is showed that I was being greedy and didn't care about my viewers, and only cared about the views and how many subs I had. I was just dumbfounded at her one track mind. The discussion escalated to such a point that an admin had to intervene, taking my side, and telling her to calm down, that everyone their own goals with YouTube and that strategizing for your channel was actually a good thing.

Point is, that people claim that because the OGs started it off as a hobby everyone should. And yes, as with my example, they do try to shove that idea down your throat and claim that you are less of a content creator than they are because you want it to be more than a hobby. I've always made the musician comparison, but thanks for the athlete comparison. I hadn't thought of that one.

FunWithTheBugs

I've Got It
Reaction score
This is a side issue, but there is this phenomenon in psychology where you tell the people around you that you are going to do something. And that simple act of talking about your dreams actually activates the satisfaction centers in your brain, causing you to feel as if you've already accomplished something when in reality, you havent even started yet.

Tell your friends and family that you're losing weight and you're 'really gonna do it this time', and you'll likely give up after a few days.
Brag to your buds that you're gonna be a youtuber, and in no time you'll be chillin on the couch, dreaming about those soaring sub numbers rather than going out and acheiving them.

Check out the Ted Talk, "Keep your goals to yourself"
While you might not say it out loud, what about to yourself. I see so many people post they don't care how many views they get, they don't care how many subs they have. They make videos because they are passionate and enjoy what they do. I would love to know what they really think because I think a lot of people are just not being honest and I don't think lying about it is a better way to go either.

If people didn't care about any of it, why post your content on the largest video platform in the world. Why spend time creating thumbnails, loading up your tags so your video can get discovered, spend time on these forums that are designed to help you grow your channel.

I guess what I am saying is, people's actions say something completely different then what they preach in a lot of cases. Goes with the whole action speaks louder then words thing.

YouTubers United Podcast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
While you might not say it out loud, what about to yourself. I see so many people post they don't care how many views they get, they don't care how many subs they have. They make videos because they are passionate and enjoy what they do. I would love to know what they really think because I think a lot of people are just not being honest and I don't think lying about it is a better way to go either.

If people didn't care about any of it, why post your content on the largest video platform in the world. Why spend time creating thumbnails, loading up your tags so your video can get discovered, spend time on these forums that are designed to help you grow your channel.

I guess what I am saying is, people's actions say something completely different then what they preach in a lot of cases. Goes with the whole action speaks louder then words thing.
I'm with you, man. Who doesn't want an audience? If not, why upload?

Reactions: FunWithTheBugs

Worldofpossible

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I see it all the time, people always knocking those who say they want to be famous YouTubers. Like it should only be fun and be a hobby and if you get big so be it.

Why is it wrong to want to be big on YouTube as ONE of your reasons to have a YouTube channel? Just because someone strives to be a big YouTuber that doesn't mean they are creating any less quality content, they aren't having fun and they aren't 100% dedicated.

If someone wants to be a rockstar, do we tell them they are playing guitar for the wrong reason? No, they love playing guitar, they practice for hours a day and they want to share their talent with the world. Being a rockstar is part of the whole picture, not the soul purpose of the picture. What about pro athletes, did anyone tell them don't think big. It's wrong to think you want to be a pro athlete? You should only play for fun and not take it seriously.

So why is it wrong for someone to create content and want to be big on YouTube. Why is the guy who says it should just be a fun hobby any better then the person who says if you want to be big on YouTube then go for it.

No, it should not be your only reason to create content but, if you are doing this for hours a day and fully dedicating a lot of time to it, you probably enjoy what you are doing. You want to share your art with as many folks as you can. That's why stats are important to some people, the same way a batting average is important to a baseball player or album sales are important to musicians.

Why is it okay for people to think big in all industries except YouTube? I personally think YouTube is one place where you have more control of what you do and where you can go then any other industry that you can make it big even though only a small amount of people will reach that fame just like any other big famous industry.

Is there anyone here who wouldn't want there channel to big? Is it just cooler to say I don't care if my channel gets big. I totally understand the thought process when people say don't start a channel just because you want to be a famous YouTuber. Start a channel because you have something you want to share with others and you enjoy what you are doing but once that ground work is laid out, why can't you think big?

Ok, roast away but I am just curious on people's thoughts about this.
I think there is rather bizarre idea that you shouldn't want to be great but sounds absurd. Who ever did anything to be common? Just keep going and when you make it, you make it. That's all that matters, not what other people think. Besides, they probably just jealous of your success.

haley&connor

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing! I think it is amazing to have dreams and goals and always work towards them! Maybe start with smaller goals so you don't feel disappointed if your dreams of being a big youtuber don't happen right away! I would just stay positive, set small goals, and work towards your dreams! good luck to you :)

NiggaUly

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Life is all about perception homie, it's not right or wrong per say.

Cuz Im working towards it and I see it as fun goal to be famous

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
There's nothing wrong with it. My personal hesitation to focusing too much on fame is that fame is a fickle mistress and and it's easy to become obsessed with getting more of it. But there is no lasting fulfillment to be gained from fame itself. At the same time, of course you want to do the best you can to market effectively because you made these videos for people to watch and enjoy. But you also made them for you.