Why is it Wrong to Say You Want to be a Famous YouTuber?

Totally agree with everything she said!

I know a lot about wanting to be famous. From around age 15 to about 30 I wanted to be a rockstar. I lived and breathed music and even attended one of the best music college's in the US. Every person I met wanted to be famous and a lot of them even went on to be. They were some of the most passionate and best musicians in the world and never were ashamed to say they wanted to be famous and no one ever took them less serious for saying it. They weren't just slackers who wanted to be famous without putting the work in.

If I played in a band and they didn't strive for the same fame I strived for then they were not for me. Those that wanted the fame were hungry for it, they were dedictaed to it and they were much more passionate about what they did then the person who juts wanted to play a small show in the local bar as a hobby.

I also know about not reaching the end result we want. No matter how good we are, or how passionate we are, you still have to be able to accept you might not reach the fame you want. That's how it goes when trying to be the 1% percent in a field.
I had a very similar experience. I was training to be a ballet dancer. I ate, slept, and breathed ballet and dance. I gave up most of my childhood and obsessed over it, but that was something that if you weren't 100% dedicated, and even obsessed there was no way you would make it. I think you have to be so passionate about your art to stand a chance and I don't think people should be looked down upon for admitting how much they care. I hate the "I'm too cool to care" attitude that is so common these days. Caring is attractive. Ambition is attractive.

You are right, nothing wrong with being ambitious and wanting to be big. I'm in it for trying to be a big player as well, whether that will work depends on a lot of things but the goal is there. I know some people here say that is bad and you should do it for the fun or art but I'm not like that myself. Sure, if you don't like what you're doing you will not be able to sustain the workload/work pressure required to get there so there has to be passion. The fun is for my kids in the videos though :)

Last edited:
Why is it okay for people to think big in all industries except YouTube?

There is one other industry where this viewpoint is prevalent - self published and aspiring authors.

I did an Assoc. Diploma in Creative Writing a while back. Exactly the same attitudes. Writing is only meant to be the highest form of human expression, all writers should be literary writers, read and talk about "high literature" and other crap like that.

I did an analysis of "Twilight" one year. i was blasted by the feminists in the class (it was 95% girls and women). How can you support this trash that Bella did this and sacrificed that for Edward, etc.For another subject I did "50 shades" analysis. Even worse reaction. I thought one was going to scratch me the way she was glaring.

God have mercy when I mentioned I wanted to self publish on Amazon KDP. Pursuit of profit in ebooks is looked down upon by the "literary elite" (who in the most part have a hard time paying the rent). The "traditional" route was write literary fiction and submit to dozens of publications, then write a reflective literary novel, that if it got published 5 years down the track, you'd be lucky to sell 50 copies. All the while romance shorts authors are making $20k-$100k/month (in the top tiers).

I loved the technical aspects of the course, but hated the culture and mindset.

I find Youtube very similar. It's supposed to be some altruistic high art pursuit. I don't usually swear but f**k that.

If you want to be big, be big.
If you want to go viral and blow up, blow up.
If you want to make $1million, do it.
And be proud when you have done it.
Don't matter what anyone thinks.

There is one other industry where this viewpoint is prevalent - self published and aspiring authors.

I did an Assoc. Diploma in Creative Writing a while back. Exactly the same attitudes. Writing is only meant to be the highest form of human expression, all writers should be literary writers, read and talk about "high literature" and other crap like that.

I did an analysis of "Twilight" one year. i was blasted by the feminists in the class (it was 95% girls and women). How can you support this trash that Bella did this and sacrificed that for Edward, etc.For another subject I did "50 shades" analysis. Even worse reaction. I thought one was going to scratch me the way she was glaring.

God have mercy when I mentioned I wanted to self publish on Amazon KDP. Pursuit of profit in ebooks is looked down upon by the "literary elite" (who in the most part have a hard time paying the rent). The "traditional" route was write literary fiction and submit to dozens of publications, then write a reflective literary novel, that if it got published 5 years down the track, you'd be lucky to sell 50 copies. All the while romance shorts authors are making $20k-$100k/month (in the top tiers).

I loved the technical aspects of the course, but hated the culture and mindset.

I find Youtube very similar. It's supposed to be some altruistic high art pursuit. I don't usually swear but f**k that.

If you want to be big, be big.
If you want to go viral and blow up, blow up.
If you want to make $1million, do it.
And be proud when you have done it.
Don't matter what anyone thinks.
Haha, this made me laugh. Can totally see it though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It's not wrong to want to be famous. That's the main draw. I've never heard anyone say it was wrong. That's ridiculous.

I can understand people cautioning people with high aspirations of being famous that they have a very small chance of that happening and to not expect it or get their hopes up, similar to telling someone playing the lottery not to expect to win the jackpot. But who plays the lottery for fun? Who would say it is wrong to want to win the jackpot? No sane person would. That's ridiculous.

Because it makes you look like you want to be a millionaire without doing anything for it. Also no one likes a show off

Now that may not be true that it isn't work but it has the appearance of that.

Honestly though I hated every kid who went on about their dream college in the last year of high school. Hated every kid in college who never shut up about internships and when now I hate every fresh faced grad coming into a job who's going to "change the world" so it's not just YouTube it's everything.

Just keep your head down and keep working. That's how I like it

Because it makes you look like you want to be a millionaire without doing anything for it. Also no one likes a show off

Now that may not be true that it isn't work but it has the appearance of that.

Honestly though I hated every kid who went on about their dream college in the last year of high school. Hated every kid in college who never shut up about internships and when now I hate every fresh faced grad coming into a job who's going to "change the world" so it's not just YouTube it's everything.

Just keep your head down and keep working. That's how I like it
Isn't that stereotyping a person for saying they want to make it big on YouTube? Where in that line does it say they aren't willing to put the work in. Who's to say they aren't working 200% more then the person who claims they don't care if they make it big.

Also, is telling someone to keep their head down really good advice? I can't imagine telling my kid to think small and stay down.

Isn't that stereotyping a person for saying they want to make it big on YouTube? Where in that line does it say they aren't willing to put the work in. Who's to say they aren't working 200% more then the person who claims they don't care if they make it big.

Also, is telling someone to keep their head down really good advice? I can't imagine telling my kid to think small and stay down.

I'm aware there is hard work in it and many things. But for most people they see someone talking to a camera and get 2 million views and then somehow have no day job, so it has the appearance of not having any work put in.

In this sense keep your head down means to keep working and keep your mouth shut about it. Like I was raised

Back