Why is it Wrong to Say You Want to be a Famous YouTuber?

Sibernethy

Questin' for a Jestin'
Reaction score
Website
www.sibernethy.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Napoleon Hill once said this while giving a speech on why you should never disclose your major plans or purpose in life to other people:

"Some people just like to stick their toes out on the sidewalk to watch you fall, especially if you have a high head and look like you're going to accomplish more in life than they are."

I think that holds true in the Youtube space.

KorrensEmber

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
i dont think theres anything wrong with it at all thats exactly what i plan on doing i dont know about everyone else here but i put tons of work into my channel and yes it is fun but at the same time it is STILL work and very time consuming so i would like an outcome for all this hard work im putting in ya know? I think people put a negative connotation on "famous" thinking that a person just wants attention and money but its just the word itself that draws negativity i think people also see it as a form of being self-centered. I wouldnt use the term 'youtube famous" I would say i plan on building a very successful channel or career on youtube. And thats just me personally i set very high expectations for myself so when i do things i put my all into it or im not going to do it at all.

luckee

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong by wanting to become famous, I, myself want to become one that's why I work very hard to get it. I am dedicated but I know and already accepted that this will be a big challenge to me but if I am not become famous, I have to accept it if I didn't make it. That's life and we cannot get whatever things we want it to be.

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The answer to your question is a simple one in my mind:

If you list that as one of your motivators you will most likely turn into one of those hating saps within a few months of starting YouTube. This is due to lack of views / subs and somehow feeling entitled to the fame because of all the work that goes into creating and maintaining a YouTube channel. The kicker: No matter if you are a small or large YouTuber... You will be doing the same amount of work. If you aren't you're not doing it right. Sure, you can have a dream... but listing it as one of your true goals, a reason to start YouTube? Path to the dark side... every time...

Reactions: Sibernethy

FunWithTheBugs

I've Got It
Reaction score
The answer to your question is a simple one in my mind:

If you list that as one of your motivators you will most likely turn into one of those hating saps within a few months of starting YouTube. This is due to lack of views / subs and somehow feeling entitled to the fame because of all the work that goes into creating and maintaining a YouTube channel. The kicker: No matter if you are a small or large YouTuber... You will be doing the same amount of work. If you aren't you're not doing it right. Sure, you can have a dream... but listing it as one of your true goals, a reason to start YouTube? Path to the dark side... every time...
You might not list it on a piece of paper but that doesn't just wipe it from your mind. I think people join a forum like this because they want to grow their channel and be successful on YouTube. I think making it big should be a motivator. Who spends all this time making video's, trying to improve every video, researching, joining forums and communities that are meant to help grow your channels and then says, I don't really care if my channel becomes big.

I think denying it maybe makes it easier to cope with if your channel never takes off. I have no problem saying, I tried making it on YouTube and failed. It's a hard platform to make it on and only a select few reach they status.

That also doesn't mean it was my only motivator or I make crappier videos then cool guy who claims he only does it for the art.

Reactions: Anti-Hype

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You might not list it on a piece of paper but that doesn't just wipe it from your mind. I think people join a forum like this because they want to grow their channel and be successful on YouTube. I think making it big should be a motivator. Who spends all this time making video's, trying to improve every video, researching, joining forums and communities that are meant to help grow your channels and then says, I don't really care if my channel becomes big.

I think denying it maybe makes it easier to cope with if your channel never takes off.
No, because if you deny it it's still there in the back of your mind. If you start off with "I am doing this because I like doing it" then it really does not matter if your channel gets big or not. Don't for a second think it means that I want to stay stagnant. I continue to evolve myself, but the whole numbers thing takes a serious back seat. It is awesome when you get a bump, everyone including myself loves positive reinforcement like that. But focusing on those numbers is the path to unhappiness if you don't really like the creative process.

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Go for it!

Maybe it's a British thing,
but we hate talking about our own success.
putting ourselves down is an enjoyment, sharing our failures is our comedy.
I've noticed many Americans enjoy talking about their success, their money even.
if you were to ask someone how much they earned in britain? - you would get quite a shocked look!

I don't know how other cultures act towards this, but I guess this may be part of the difference of opinion.

Here's what I find:

People like it if you:
  • have the motivation and drive to succeed
  • enjoy what you do
  • are dedicated to your work
  • Share your success
  • Share your goals
People don't like it if you:
  • push others down to validate yourself. (eg. "I am so much better than Pewdiepie")
  • get mad when you don't hit your huge expected goals. (eg. "why don't I have a million subs already!!!! somethings wrong guyz!!")
  • rub it in others faces when you do get success.
Nothing wrong with wanting success, wanting to be famous, to be rich. we all want those things. if anyone brings you down, they are likely just concerned that you will get upset when these numbers don't come in like you want.
Fame can often be a pleasant surprise rather than an expectation :)

Rafij Rahman Rohan

Be Yourself
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I thing there is nothing wrong to say that I want to be a famous youtuber.Just don't do YouTube for being famous.First build an audience,a community.Once your channel get on that level your channel will start automatically being famous.It will create a fan base.But when you're new just try to focus on your content,without thinking about begin famous.So I thing it's not bad idea if you want to be a famous youtuber,it's great too see you have confident yourself to beat other youtuber.Just don't do youtube for being famous :)

SophieAlice

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For me personally, when I tell people I want to be successful on YouTube, they tend to think I mean that I want high subscribers and views, but it's not that I just want empty views and meaningless subscribers. For me, it's about making a difference, using my comedy and self-esteem videos to make people happy, to feel better about themselves, so I want as many people as possible to experience that.
So, do I want to be 'famous', defiantly, but I want to be famous for the right reasons.

Arachnophobik

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
PREACH!!! I totally agree. I've heard that line from a lot of people already, why is it so wrong to want to be famous someday? Not everyone gets to achieve their dreams, might as well dream big. I am passionate about what I do, and I as a creator, want to reach my target audience as much as possible. As far as passion goes, most if not every creator wants a bigger audience.